WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
NASA tested a handful of watch brands for space travel, only the Omega survived, much less excelled. That suggests to me rocket launches are tough on watches.
A quick google tells me 4 brands provided watches. Rolex, Omega, Longines and Hamilton. Hamilton provided a pocket watch for whatever reason so they were out. Rolex and Longines failed temperature and / or relative humidity or decompression tests so they were out. The Omega passed but gained 21 minutes during the decompression test and lost 15 minutes during the acceleration tests and the luminous material on the dial was destroyed. It survived but timekeeping was lousy so I wouldn’t necessarily say it excelled.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
"The NASA Watch Trials
A year after the launch of the Apollo Program, NASA started a search for a reliable timepiece to serve as the official watch of the space program. They began the process by putting out a request for proposals from a select few brands: Elgin, Benrus, Hamilton, Mido, Lucien Piccard, Omega, Bulova, Rolex, Longines-Wittnauer and Gruen. Only four of the ten brands answered the call — Omega, Longines-Wittnauer, Rolex and Hamilton. However, Hamilton presented a pocket watch, and was thus disqualified for not complying with NASA’s specifications. The other watches — the Rolex 6238 “pre-Daytona,” the Longines-Wittnauer 242T, and the Omega Speedmaster – were put through a rigorous series of tests. (Note: The 242T is the assumed reference that Longines-Wittnauer submitted, but this has yet to be confirmed.)"

From this article:

Yep same article I read and updated my post with some of the info.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts