WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Lobster

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  raoult 
#1 ·
Hi there guys first time poster. I’m kind of new to the watch world and I about do jump in for my first significant priced watch and hopefully go from there. The most expensive watch I’ve owned so far is a Seiko Arctura (90’s model) Rubber strap. And really with to add the Full Tit model to my future collection as I simply love the design although maybe not too respected by people wearing much more prestige’s watch for me its about design and feel.Anyhows as I’ve been reading more and more (many of my searches in Google give results to this forum) I’ve think I’ve fallen in love with Omega! Esp a specific model called the Speed sonic Lobster. I few searches shows its a well regarded watch by most “in the know” which is nice to know but they seem rather rare? So Far it’s filling all my criteria’s

Price £1000-2500 (I think as information is limited)
A Vintage watch (nice to have something a bit different/rare and no longer in production)
The shape/modern design
Something that won’t loose much value..Not saying I want a 50% return in 3/5 years just if I buy it for 2k it sticks to “around” that price :p

Anyhow I’ve done a bit of reading on them but the main thing I’m confused by is simply pricing? There’s some for sale for $4000 and one sold a few days ago on another watch forum for £995 which appeared to be in good condition? Is there any difference in spec over production run? They where only produced for a year from what I read ?Are different bezel colours more desirable than others? Is the market strong or weak like most things at the moment ?(good time for buying?)Is it a good choice for the inexperience watch collector? Only going to wear it weekends and nice occasions to be honest.Any other general things a newbie should watch out for? Anyone own one here?

Thanks for help or advise guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the Lobster. I had a chance to buy one locally a few months ago but the more questions I asked the less response I got, so I took it as a hint that there were probably issues with that particular one. Really too bad as I fell in love with it from the pics that "nalu" posted of his.

Difficulty in getting extra links for the bracelet needs to be considered in case the links are not all there or if you have a large wrist. Most of the mystique with this model revolves around the lobster tail bracelet.

The f300 movement is also more difficult to get serviced from what I read, so if you get one, make sure it's been serviced/repaired recently to avoid a costly and long absence while you send it out.

#3 ·
I love the Lobster. I had a chance to buy one locally a few months ago but the more questions I asked the less response I got, so I took it as a hint that there were probably issues with that particular one. Really too bad as I fell in love with it from the pics that "nalu" posted of his.

Difficulty in getting extra links for the bracelet needs to be considered in case the links are not all there or if you have a large wrist. Most of the mystique with this model revolves around the lobster tail bracelet.

The f300 movement is also more difficult to get serviced from what I read, so if you get one, make sure it's been serviced/repaired recently to avoid a costly and long absence while you send it out.
Well all this talk of wrist size I measured mine and its fairly small 7inch is snug fit so don't think many men will be much smaller than mine?Whats average 8?

Ok..Its also 50/50 that i'll have to purchase out the UK due there rareness which is a bit scary :/.Ok so somthing in perfect working order would be best to get.
But what are the prices then? are they worth £1000? Is paying £2000 to much?There's a nice looking one on ebay at the moment that I'm watching and its in between these to figures and I'm really eager to take a bid,Sellers got good feedback etc hummm....I could be sporting my new Omega within a week or two :D

#5 ·
I've got a regular Speedsonic and a Lobster.

Lobster pricing is on the down swing in my opinion. A couple of years ago they were hard to find below $4K USD. More recently they have started to show up relatively regularly below $4K.

They came with a variety of dials, some rarer than others. The wilder dials seem to be favored over the normal looking ones. The one I have has a black dial flecked with silver which make it looks like stars in space. Other than dials, AFAIK they are all the same.

As a daily wearer I'm not sure they are a great choice. A special occasion wearer is the right way to think. The band is hollow and will dent, and the band is a tremendous amount of the value. The base movement ESA 9162 was produced in fairly large numbers under a Bulova Accutron license and service is not hard to get, but the chronograph module which is coupled to this movement to make it an ESA 9210 is another matter. It is relatively rare and if parts are ever required, they will be tough to get.

#11 ·
I've got a regular Speedsonic and a Lobster.

Lobster pricing is on the down swing in my opinion. A couple of years ago they were hard to find below $4K USD. More recently they have started to show up relatively regularly below $4K.

They came with a variety of dials, some rarer than others. The wilder dials seem to be favored over the normal looking ones. The one I have has a black dial flecked with silver which make it looks like stars in space. Other than dials, AFAIK they are all the same.

As a daily wearer I'm not sure they are a great choice. A special occasion wearer is the right way to think. The band is hollow and will dent, and the band is a tremendous amount of the value. The base movement ESA 9162 was produced in fairly large numbers under a Bulova Accutron license and service is not hard to get, but the chronograph module which is coupled to this movement to make it an ESA 9210 is another matter. It is relatively rare and if parts are ever required, they will be tough to get.
Yes I've noticed this.Wen looking up for sale prices some old adverts creep up and there listed alot higher than there selling for nowadays,Seem's a good time to buy but then again what isn't cheaper than 3-5 years ago now?;-)

Not an everyday wearer for me dude no way! As said the most expensive watch i've owned and whore daily for a £120 Seiko which I thougth was wow! Ok I owned it from around 15 onwards buy hey I loved it!Haven't actually whore a watch for a long time I don't where any jewellery of any kind the only thing that interests me is a nice watch!

Ok..It seems a very good idea to go for one in good condition that getting a pig to do up!

Thanks

#10 ·
Yes the tuning fork is incredible really. Here's two very interesting (Bulova) You Tube videos that show what is happening inside, though I am not sure what note they play.

First a video of a model tuning fork

Bulova Escapement Model - YouTube
Now, the real thing, though the end is specifically enlightening and a great reason to get one that has been serviced recently and working..

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=ZkNxkhODX6I]Bulova Accutron .214 Funktionsprinzip - YouTube[/URL]

#14 ·
+49, with regard your nick, I related it to the 49th parallell, that is 49 degrees above the equator, like Alaska.
49th parallel north - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obscure is not bad, no way. It is different, and actually very very good. Your watch interest is no way boring, and I really like that. watch collecting is like that, everyone has their individual taste and that is (I feel) the beauty in it. No one is ever wrong. Well except for fakes and replicas. I admire your taste.
The sound of the f300 is not so much tick tock, being powered elecrically, it actually sounds like a tuning fork. Like ziiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg. An icredible sound to come from a watch.
Like me, I'm learning over time. Regards..

#15 ·
+49, with regard your nick, I related it to the 49th parallell, that is 49 degrees above the equator, like Alaska.
49th parallel north - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obscure is not bad, no way. It is different, and actually very very good. Your watch interest is no way boring, and I really like that. watch collecting is like that, everyone has their individual taste and that is (I feel) the beauty in it. No one is ever wrong. Well except for fakes and replicas. I admire your taste.
The sound of the f300 is not so much tick tock, being powered elecrically, it actually sounds like a tuning fork. Like ziiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg. An icredible sound to come from a watch.
Like me, I'm learning over time. Regards..
+1 mate ... Exactly how I feel don't follow everyone else if you like somthing.Do it/get it etc.

My taste will probably change more as my knowledge grows with this watch thing as it does with everything.Been reading some interesting debates on here when it comes to the Quarts Vs Mech watchs...Basically batts vs wind up watchs in my dummy terminology :) and it's a intersting debate kinda reminds me of people arguing about how BMW are going Turbo over N/A on alot of there recent M-cars....Ok that's not a great example but I'm sure you catch my drift ( if your at all interested in motors) :)

#16 ·
These movements are not quartz battery watches, they have a smooth second hand. I know parts can be hard to find and need a watch guy that specialize in these movements. Looking at your pic I now can see why they call it lobster for some reason I thought it was lobster red in colour lol

#17 · (Edited)
I thought I had posted this.

A working model of the Tuning Fork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k

T
he Bulova Tuning Fork, (as in f300) The final few seconds is totally fascinating...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k

Y[/URL]es definitely not a quartz tick....

WOW +49, that is more than handsome, beautiful is more apt. Very very nice.

#18 ·
I thought I had posted this.

A working model of the Tuning Fork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k

T
he Bulova Tuning Fork, (as in f300) The final few seconds is totally fascinating...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=1ChlIWOYD4k

Y[/URL]es definitely not a quartz tick....

WOW +49, that is more than handsome, beautiful is more apt. Very very nice.
Indeed it is dude.

Also guys when it comes to these vintage age watches what's expected?Should it atleast come with the original box? Does this affect the price alot? Should it come with all instructions and manuels ? certifcates etc?

I see some nice 2003 007 Limited bonds and it seems they come with every bit of paperwork as new when there for sale.But obvious there alot newer watchs?

So should I expect all the original box/paperwork or be flexible?And if without doe it effect price alot?

I'm not really too bothered as long as the watch is in good worknig order but would like to know if it ends up knocking 20-40% off the value!

Thanks

#20 ·
QUOTE=webvan;4455730]Nice, what Seiko is that? Your Arctura ?

The lobster in that picture is stunning, looks new really...I'd hate to know the price !

I've been tracking prices too and they currently seem to be quite steady around the $2000 mark, i.e. about £1500. Clearly not $4k anymore. Unfortunately there seem to be very few available in Europe so you'd be looking at around +20% in customs (not counting various fees). Still you should be able to fit that in your £2000 budget, good luck! You should have pounced on that £995 if it was in good shape, was it in Europe ?[/QUOTE]

Nope the arctura is the first watch that really made me get have interest in the watch scene. When It came out I was just a school boy I would dream about owning a £500 watch!.Sadly they gathered bit of cult status it seems the titanium one pictured easily go for there original sale price. I've own a Mid size unisex one with a yellow rubber strap that I got for my 15th Birthday :D still own it now sadly it doesn't hold charge anymore and the strap is far to small for me!

I've noticed the same with the lobster there's a few old adverts for $4000+!!.That £995 one was actually on a UK watch forum sadly when I found it was sold!

Yes I think its one of the nicest looking watches I've personal seen and very timeless both are going to be starting my collection whichever comes and i'll go from there!

#23 ·
Humm ok..

Is the Lobster considered a proper vintage watch? After all its got a battery inside? When I think vintage I think of a 1940 s leather strapped little thing :p

To be honest think i'm the same dude.As I've got older and got more things to be concerned about like work and money i've carmed down but as a child i started to collect model cars (Around 10 years old) by the time I was 13/14 I was no longer removing them from the boxes so the original seals where never broken...THere all still in the loft 60% of them I never touched..So yes I can get fairly bad :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.