WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the land of the rising sun

I have reached the pinnacle of my Seiko Journey. Behold the SBGA029 Grand Seiko Diver. ;)
This has been what seemed to be a long road, to have finally reach it is kind of surreal at the moment.

I've long admired the delights of this Japanese beauty from its Spring Drive technology, to design and hand crafted poetry.
The pinnacle of Seiko's divers.(subjective to me of course) Probably in a class of its own, as in Seiko's luxury diver.
There are other Seiko divers which could surpass its dive depths such as the SD600m, MM300m,& various Tuna's.
But those would be regarded as the tool divers of Seiko, with the MM a borderline sport/dress IMO.

So the GS diver I'd class as a luxury diver much akin to other branded luxury divers in its price range.
The GS line for Seiko has always been their top tier watch line, which is why they chose a spring drive movement,Seiko's
pride and top tier movement with much focus in their development of the innovative spring drive technology.

The accuracy of this 9R65 SD engine is rated ±1 second /day.
The sweeping seconds hand is mesmerizing. It doesn't get smoother than this.

The quality that exudes out of this Japanese beast is impeccable. From top to bottom literally.
Each component is solid, from bezel down to the clasp. Everything in between is almost perfect.
The attention to detail to each part is pure Japanese obsession to perfection in its craftsmanship.
This is comparable or finer, than any other luxury diver out there in its price range. IMO.
Kudos to Seiko for marrying technology, art, designed with form and function.

Long fascinated with Grand Seiko, and Spring Drive technology, I get the best of both worlds here.
Solid classic diver shaped case, unique cathedral hands, power reserve(72hr), raised applied markers, great Seiko lume, sweeping hand & amazing movement,
is what makes this diver the one of best that Seiko has to offer.

I opted for this one in all stainless steel as there is another version in titanium w/gold accented logo priced a tad more as well.
I was surprised by the weight (201g) intitally and the what appeared to be a big size to this one. Very impressive, loads of presence.
But I took to the nice balanced weight and the 44mm size was not big as my other 44mm watches all fit me well on my 6.5" wrist.
Don't know what it was that made think this, perhaps seamless black dial & the black hard-coated stainless steel gives illusion of larger appearance?

I've always regarded the Grand Seiko line as regal, majestic, and once owned, you fully understand why its so Grand.
Another one checked off the bucket list. ;)
I think my journey is complete...for now. I will now retire and bask in the sun.
hehe.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the eye candy.
cheers, Dave.

44mm ss case

signed crown

120 click bezel, ceramic like

SEL & drilled lugs

bracelet & signed ratchet clasp

sapphire crystal

power reserve

unique cathedral hands

sexy back

seiko lume :)

the wrist shot

comparison shots

check out the sweeping hand :)

a bit of bling ;)

:
-)

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Congrats, that is a beauty and one I have on my bucket list as well. I will not likely lose my SD600 so I will also be looking for the stainless version one day.

Does this mean you are attempting a hiatus from the forum? I tried and it lasted a whole afternoon I think. I vowed no more watches after SD600 for one year. If at that time I find myself really still lusting after one I will move a few to pick up a GS Spring Drive. I have no need for a dress watch but I could be tempted by the snowflake Dial GS Spring Drive.

I think the thing that surprises me most about the comparison shot you have there is how much bigger the GS200 appears then the MM300 Ltd Ed. They should both be 44mm although I know the scalloped case of the MM300 really allows it to wear smaller then it's actual size of 44mm. The GS spring drive diver is really a supreme watch and would likely be the only reason the MM300 ever leaves my collection.

OOPS I forgot after watching a few of your videos that the SBGE001 might actually be higher on my bucket list then the GS diver.

·
Registered
477 Posts
congratulations! i noticed how the seconds and minute hands are almost scraping the edge of the dial. and the solid end links are a beaut. when you're this high into the watch food chain, its the details that count. :p

·
Registered
692 Posts
I handled this exact same model at a local AD over the weekend and it is definitely a few classes above the Sumos, the Tunas, etc. I must have spent a good 20 minutes holding it and trying it on the wrist many times over but in the end decided that it didn't really appeal to me enough for me to walk out of the AD with it. And that's only just because my bank balance wouldn't allow me to "appealed" by it. :-d

Big congratulations on knocking one off your bucket list.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well you really went and done it now Dave! There goes the rest of the collection...drawer Queens now, eh. Great pictorial Dave.
You are at the apex of Seiko now and maybe the apex of all divers for that matter. It is a bit too small for you however and you will grow weary and go back to those big Casios. When you do, please trade this one to me.

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Awesome timepiece -masterpiece. Wonderful pics, too, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Great watch, great pics! I really like the deeply etched look of the bezel. And those hands would look great on my SKX007.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts