WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simply gorgeous, innit? But I don't have the money for this. What are some affordable alternatives? My thread in F71 didn't get me anywhere...

(Not my pic)

I have searched quite a bit these last couple of weeks, and narrowing down my preferences, I keep coming back to this look. Its what I want. I used to have this vintage 10k gold Bulova Accutron that had the same basic look and I LOVED it, but it recently got stolen:

Where can I find this look for like 400 dollars? I know about the Sea Gull:

But it is discontinued. I'm open to quartz or automatic at this point, silver or gold/champagne dial. Any reputable brands. I just don't understand why this basic look isn't more popular?? Can anyone help me find it?

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I would suggest, as I so often do, a SARB035, at almost exactly your price range

It lacks the numerals, but it gets the basic feel right, and it's got a solid 6R15 movement to back it up.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It's a good watch. I think it also captures the feel of the Jaeger pretty faithfully while still not being a copy. It's also a good value, so if you like it, definitely worth a visit to an AD to check it out.

·
Premium Member
22,419 Posts
There's the Seagull 5 Star for $265.

Reactions: Noam the Newt

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Unless the website's wrong, USA Sea-Gull has that watch on a bracelet for $299.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
+1 for the Hamilton. It's not a JLC. But it's not a slob either.

·
Premium Member
22,419 Posts
Reactions: ljb187

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would suggest, as I so often do, a SARB035, at almost exactly your price range

It lacks the numerals, but it gets the basic feel right, and it's got a solid 6R15 movement to back it up.
Well, the numerals are what make the look special to me, so I really want those. And the SARB has a creme color dial; I want silver or gold. I also already own a SARB033 that I almost never wear, so I hesitate to get the same watch, just in a different color. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, sorry. 400 bucks. My bad.
How about this? Only a tiny bit over budget.
Hamilton Thin-o-Matic
H38715581 | Hamilton Watch
And a pic: (Not Mine)
View attachment 1266339
Cheers.
Good suggestion, and one I have been considering. My only hang up is the font used for "Hamilton", the old school "H" logo. Ugh, I just don't like them. I much prefer the modern rendition of their brand name, like this:

But on this one (and I actually would prefer quartz for this piece), I'm not into the numeral placement. I really only want them at 12, 3, 6, and 9. But that's how I prefer their logo. Silly things to get hung up on, but I've already searched this out...this is my third thread on dress watches in 3 weeks, LOL...

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's the Seagull 5 Star for $265.

Yeah, just not into the numeral placement and I really want a pure silver (with sunburst if possible) dial...or gold dial/gold case like my old Bulova. You guys are on the right track though, please keep the suggestions coming. I would really like to order a watch this week, LOL. Having insurance money and nothing to spend it on feels weird.

And I could go up to 600 dollars, but I'll have to sell some stuff on the sales forum to be able to do that. And that would be my absolute ceiling. Does that help widen my options a little more?

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would save and get the Hammy. You get a 'look' and some quality.
Or a Seiko.
Quartz is just blah.
Unless accuracy and battery changes are ok of course.
I'm actually not a quartz hater, so in this case, I'm fine with quartz. Seeing as how I'm trying to limit the number of automatics I have (future servicing costs are a concern), quartz is actually preferable for this particular piece.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Personally, I'd get another simple, vintage Accutron because they blow all these other suggestions out of the water--well, for me at least. Just make sure you set aside some money to get it serviced, if you do. Tuning forks are quirky and require particular care, but I love 'em.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I'd get another simple, vintage Accutron because they blow all these other suggestions out of the water--well, for me at least. Just make sure you set aside some money to get it serviced, if you do. Tuning forks are quirky and require particular care, but I love 'em.
I've heavily considered this, but eBay has nothing that looks passable to me at the moment. If I get another vintage one, it will have to be the exact same model that got stolen. Its the only Accutron I liked when I was originally looking and I guess my preferences haven't really changed enough for me to consider other models. Mine was running about -1 to 2 spd and had a gorgeous case, and flawless crystal. There was no patina of the dial or hands either. Really stunning. That's a high standard for the next one to live up to, and most of the ones I see just don't come close, but I guess I could keep a closer eye on the bay for one. Its been long enough at this point for my stuff to show up in pawn shops (the 23 day hold period is over), so I think I may go hit some up this weekend. Heck, I'll buy it back if I find it and THEN tell the police where I found it, LOL...

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Maybe this Seiko 5?

Wow. What are the odds that Seiko would come so effin close to nailing the look I want and then put that hideous "5" shield on it??! Ugh, so close. Thanks, CitizenM, that's a really good find and the closest match so far...

Edit: wait, is the dial white or silver, can't tell from my phone, as I can't zoom in on the pic. I hope it's white so I won't be tempted to buy this out of desperation, lol.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts