WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see so many threads here on the Speedmaster Pro "Moon Watch" that it is making me seriously want to purchase that one also along with the PO Chrono I want to get.

So which one would you guys recommend as the watch of all watches? I saw on another thread here that the Speedy just might be available with the Co-axial movement! That would be sweet!!!! :-!

The more I see pictures of this beautiful classic....the more I want to really get one. I am really loving this watch!!!!! |>|>|>|>|>

Yes the bug bit me..... :-d

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Well, for some the Speedy Day-date 376.0822 is the "grail"

of Speedmasters, outside of any NASA flown Speedy. Its up there for me, as its a watch with the ubiquitous Lemania 5100 movement, housed in arguably the best looking case in the business.

Check out Chuck Maddox's site which I've linked to here. This page shows the 376.0822, but his site is awesome so immerse yourself in the knowledge!

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/c1045.html#376.0822

·
Registered
767 Posts
So which one would you guys recommend as the watch of all watches?
That's going to vary from person to person. I bought the so-called sapphire sandwich -- I wasn't going to splash that sort of money on a nice watch but get a plastic crystal which I know I'll damage in very short order; plus I get to look at that beautiful Lemania movement through the display back. But that's me.

Others prefer to have a date on the watch. You may not be fussed about the movement, in which case an automatic with a co-axial escapement would be pretty neat, if it eventuates.

The fact is, it is a great-looking watch with a classic design that has basically remained unchanged for half a century, and it has early in its life won some pretty cool history with NASA.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I went through ten or twelve Speedy Pros including a "sapphire sandwich" moonphase before I realized that my grail watch was the model actually worn on the moon. For me that had to be a 105.012 cal. 321.

Then I went through a series of others including three LEs and the settled on these four:

The 3592.50 (second from the right) was not getting any wrist time and it now has a new home. (A watch not worn is not a watch.)

So now I have my grail along with my customs, PW1 and PW2.

All are hesalite/sapphire and each gets its fair share of wrist time.

No other watch has the history and mystery of the Omega Speedmaster Professional. No collection is complete without one.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
447 Posts
I went through ten or twelve Speedy Pros including a "sapphire sandwich" moonphase before I realized that my grail watch was the model actually worn on the moon. For me that had to be a 105.012 cal. 321.

How much would one expect to pay for just such a watch. Would ebay be the place to purchase one or a used dealer?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pick the model that catches your fancy the most as there are so many different variation of the Speedy that it is impossible to recommand a model over the rest. Personally, I would like to have more than 1 Speedy but right now, I only have the 50th Anniversary Patch Edition and will love to pick up the moonphase and day-date in the near future. :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I thought long time that if I ever had "the grail", that would be "THE Speedy" for me, but I was wrong. My grail is definetly same as John's, vintage Professional. Theres just something magical with that manual movement.

So If I would get to choose again, I would still get my n.o 1 Speedy, the piece I allready own, Speedmaster Professional 105.012 -65.

My item is very unique, because I believe its was not totally original for many reasons :

- Movement number indicates year 1965
- Caseback says -64
- Allready fittted NEW dial, with Professional emblem (rare for 1965 but not impossible)
- Crystal clearly polished, not shiny, but foggy -> replaced to beautiful new crystal
- Broad arrow hands -> Changed these to beautiful original 321 hands
- crown seals gone (hard to wind up), bought new crown & sealants (not fitted yet)
- movement extremely accurate, +1 second each for every second day!

I remember John telling me not to get this one since its not original, but I had allready bought that. So its not those easy going "Oh, what a beautiful working and serviced -60s totally original vintage Speedy for 6000 USD", but I love it for the work Ive done and for her extremely accuracy , age and beautiful cal321 movement.

Here she is

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
I bought the so-called sapphire sandwich -- I wasn't going to splash that sort of money on a nice watch but get a plastic crystal which I know I'll damage in very short order; plus I get to look at that beautiful Lemania movement through the display back. But that's me.
Ditto!! John Wilson.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
How much would one expect to pay for just such a watch. Would ebay be the place to purchase one or a used dealer?
Mine came off of eBay three years ago for $1296 but prices for comparable examples have doubled or even tripled since then.

I searched eBay and the used dealers for almost a year until I found mine.

Fr. John+

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
One of my first ever postings on a forum was to do with Fr Johns picture of the casebacks. Up until then, I thought people calling watches sexy was just wrong.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mine came off of eBay three years ago for $1296 but prices for comparable examples have doubled or even tripled since then.

I searched eBay and the used dealers for almost a year until I found mine.

Fr. John+
Demand + Limited supply = $$$$$$$$$:-!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I love the original "Moon" watch, but find it too big to wear daily. I also prefer a sapphire crystal and can't live without a date display. So I settled on a Speedy reduced auto with date window. Oh, and an X-33! One thing to bear in mind with most Speedy's is that they're not really suitable for use in water. That's where the PO wins.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I love the original "Moon" watch, but find it too big to wear daily. I also prefer a sapphire crystal and can't live without a date display. So I settled on a Speedy reduced auto with date window. Oh, and an X-33! One thing to bear in mind with most Speedy's is that they're not really suitable for use in water. That's where the PO wins.
Ya, we all have different opinions, so its good that theres so many versions of Speedmaster out there :-!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You make a very good and valid point Uktrailmonster. I love the PO and I think I will just spend my money on that sweet watch along with the Oris TT1 I have been looking at.
I will allways be dedicated to Omega though.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You make a very good and valid point Uktrailmonster. I love the PO and I think I will just spend my money on that sweet watch along with the Oris TT1 I have been looking at.
I will allways be dedicated to Omega though.
When you think about it objectively, the PO chrono is a more complete watch than the Speedy Pro. It just hasn't been on the moon ;)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
When you think about it objectively, the PO chrono is a more complete watch than the Speedy Pro. It just hasn't been on the moon ;)
I can see where you're coming from, but "complete" really isn't an objective description. Yes, if you're planning to dive with your watch, then the POCh is the obvious choice. Omega notes that the Speedy is only suitable for swimming.

On the other hand, Speedy has that simple, classic design with white stick hands and a clean dial, which makes it one of the most legible chronographs, ever.

Speedy's history and relationship with the space program should be of interest to any prospective buyer. That's not to say that you have to be a space nut (I'm not), but anyone can appreciate the rigorous testing that NASA put it through, demonstrating just how rugged and durable Speedy is.

eric

·
Registered
661 Posts
By complete, I meant in the sense that the PO can be used in more ways than the Speedy. Personally I wouldn't even go swimming in a Speedy, but of course wouldn't think twice with the PO.

The Speedy's history is remarkable and it will always be a very special watch. But don't you think the PO would breeze through the same NASA testing regime? Of course the Speedy X-33 is much better than either for its chronograph, alarm and low light functionality, but again its achilles heal is water.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was thinking the exact same thing Uktrailmonster. I think the PO would easily very easily just breeze right through the same test and if not even much more rigurous tests than the Speedy. I just think the Speedy though is still a very beautiful watch and does hold a very special place in many mens hearts. I would never undermine or put the Speedy capabilities down, but then again Omega does and always has gone through great strides to make their watches just that much better.

PO Chrono all the way for me. I just cant wait to hold that baby in my hands and strap her on my wrist and call her mine....all mine!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The strength of the PO on earth would be its weakness in space. The water resitance (pressure sealing) would cause the PO to explode in the vacuum of space. (Opening the HE valve might allow compensation.) Regardless, I doubt that NASA would be very comfortable with the thoughts of a sapphire crystal shattering in a weightless environment.

But since few of us will be venturing into space, the PO chrono would be a functional alternative to the Speedy Pro.

Unfortunately for me, my wife objects to the size of the PO. :-( But then again she thinks my Speedies are too large as well but is intrigued by their history. :-d

Fr. John+

·
Registered
767 Posts
The water resitance (pressure sealing) would cause the PO to explode in the vacuum of space.
Would that really happen, John? Even a hard vacuum compared to a sea-level launch is only 14 psi internal pressure. I reckon an Omega would laugh at that gradient.

EDIT: As for the PO's sapphire crystal, aren't the flight qualified Speedmaster X-33 watches the astronauts wear equipped with sapphire crystals?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts