WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from seeing The Martian, the new release this weekend from Director Ridley Scott. First and foremost, let me say, I really liked the film. Recommend you see it, good stuff. That said, as a watch enthusiast I went into the movie thinking there might be the odd Speedmaster spotting. Nope. You get a pretty deliberate look at Matt Damon's timepiece late in the movie and......its......a........Hamilton!? I mean, hey, I like Hamiltons, but, well, really? A NASA selection for Mars missions? Suppose just a matter of Hollywood product placement....I did find this...... The Martian EN | Hamilton Watch. Ridley, I really liked your film, but would have LOVED it with a well placed Speedmaster! ;-)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I think it looked like a Hamilton on thr wrist in the movie

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
667 Posts
For the 2004 landings, the real JPL guys had mechanical watches made to run 24 hrs, 39.5 minutes per day, a Mars sol, made by a nearby watchmaker named Garo Anserlian at Executive Jewelers in Montrose. Some Mars mission scientists still have them but the Spirit/Opportunity teams were scheduled on Mars time, for a while, and there were no iPhones!!

I still want a Mars time watch...

Also really liked the movie! (Especially Mackenzie Davis and Michael Peña.)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yup great movie, just watched it last night.
I actually was expecting an Omega X-33;

But it's difficult to say based on the length of the mission. However I imagine by then battery life will be extended by quite some time.
Taking a mechanical watch to Mars, would you have to regulate it to Mars level of gravity? I just see too many issues with the accuracy of the time on a different planet with so many different factors. Thinner atmosphere, different gravitational pull I imagine would both play some part in affecting accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just got back from the movie, which I highly recommend. I was looking at wrists every chance I got, and I was a little surprised when I saw the Hamilton below zero on Matt Damon's wrist. Bit of an odd choice. Given the fact that Ridley Scott had a hand in making two Seiko models famous in Aliens, it would have been cool to see Seiko in there imo. I was really expecting to see at least one Speedmaster. The movie is incredible though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I knew the Hamilton was going to show up because I've been hanging around the Hamilton website recently, so I almost laughed when it had its closeup.

Honestly, looking at the watches currently qualified for use in space and on EVAs, the most likely candidate would have been a G-Shock

What was weirdest about the Hamilton was not that it was there, but that it was at all useful. It was an unmodified Hammy, but the Martian Sol is about 40 minutes longer than an Earth day. The watch would have been useless because it was on a 24 hour cycle. Maybe a dual time watch with Earth time on the subdial and a 24h+40minutes main dial would have been much more plausible. I wonder why Hamilton couldn't have bothered to at least make a custom dial and not tarnish the record of an otherwise scientifically flawless movie.

Sent via carrier pigeon ASCII

Reactions: Coriolanus

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
I was looking at wrists every chance I got, and I was a little surprised when I saw the Hamilton below zero on Matt Damon's wrist. Bit of an odd choice. Given the fact that Ridley Scott had a hand in making two Seiko models famous in Aliens, it would have been cool to see Seiko in there imo.
Aliens was a James Cameron movie, not a Ridley Scott one.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Haven't seen the movie yet, but the book was excellent. What gave it realism is that the book was written with a lot of scientifically accurate information.
Here - it would make no sense to wear a Hamilton 3 hander - clearly pure promotional product placement

Frankly, I don't see any modern astronauts using either Hamilton or Omega Speedmaster in this day and age. A tough Gshock w plastic\resin case, flexible plastic display (reduce chance of impact\cracks\shatter), solar charge and battery backup, chronograph (countdown and alarm likely critical) - these are the features they would look for today. Not men jewelry.

Expecting a Speedmaster here is silly (although not as silly as picking a watch while going to see Everest - clearly any modern mountain climber would pick a G-shock or similar watch).

PS: disclaimer, I like men's jewelry, but I'm no astronaut.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Did NASA ever certify any watch other than Speedy Pro for outside the environment use?

I did not think so... I thought that was why it always is speedy which is worn outside the suit. Now, INSIDE the vehicle/rocket/shuttle, I believe there is no regulation or there are way more watches certified for use though.

It would be more convincing for him to wear 2 watches one running in MARS time (24.7 hours/day) and another in Earth time (24 hr/day)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Haven't seen the movie yet, but I was already aware of the Hamilton. They have been advertising it on their website lately. Glad to hear good reviews on the movie. Can't wait to see it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Martian was a great book and I really am looking forward to seeing this film. Hamilton has made several appearances in recent movies as of late.. Especially those that are space themed. The watch that "Interstellar" featured heavily was also a Hamilton.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Enjoyed The Martian. Great movie! Seeing as its all Nasa, i was hoping for a Speedmaster to pop up somewhere just like how it did in Gravity. But I was really surprised to see the Hamilton watch instead for this one. But yeah, the watch came out of nowhere and was clear product placement...lol... Nah, I think it should've been an Omega for it to feel more authentic. I guess its Hamilton's Mars watch...

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Martian was a great book and I really am looking forward to seeing this film. Hamilton has made several appearances in recent movies as of late.. Especially those that are space themed. The watch that "Interstellar" featured heavily was also a Hamilton.
Umm I wonder if that is Hamilton's marketing strategy to put their watches in sci fi / fantasy movies - as in addition to Interstellar and Martian you have all three parts of MiB.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, it's possible that that Hammy is modified to that it shows Mars local time (24h with each minute taking +2.7% longer as was done by JPL's local watchmaker for the NASA teams) but it's just likely an oversight. Worse still, the date window is all but useless since NASA teams keep track of Martian sols by Julian count (numbered sequentially from the beginning of a Maritan year, with no months).

What would a true "Mars watch" look like? If we follow the NASA convention for the main dial, we'd have an analog dial with minutes lengthened so the total day length is 24h37"42", with a three-digit day indicator. My guess is that a great complication would be a GMT-like function based on a separate mechanism with Earth seconds, with the GMT hand set to Houston time, and a separate month-date window for Earth.

Now I kinda want one. Project watch, anyone?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts