WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...

OK, so after thinking long and hard about what dive watch I want, I have narrowed it WAY down to a SEIKO BLACK MONSTER.

Which is odd, because at first, I kinda hated the way it looked. Didn't do much for me. Then it kinda grew on me and grew on me and now I kinda love it. In fact, I TOTALLY love it. Almost kinda obsessed.

Anyone else feel this way?

Why is this watch so popular? Why the "cult" following?

Anyway, now I gotta decide on a black strap or bracelet. I've heard the SS bracelet is very well made...but the black strap does look pretty damn cool.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Also, I'd love to see some pics of this watch on wrists...it seems easy to find pics of the watch OFF wrists but not ON them.

Anyone want to share some monster love?

Am I making a good choice? I know this will be the first of MANY dive style watches, but I just want some re-assurance....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Could say I'm obsessed as well I have 3 ,2 OM & 1 BM:-!

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I still can't stomach the original Monsters, but I love the JDM "Trek Monsters" so much I plan on picking up a second one. It's strange because they use the exact same case as the regular Monsters, but something about the subtlely different design elements make the Trek versions really cool in my eyes.

You're right though, it seems many are big fanatics of the original Monster. :)

·
Registered
516 Posts
What do you love about it?
Everything,

:think:Its different I suppose,rugged extremley good value,and well put together.:-!

·
Registered
318 Posts
For me it was love at first sight :-d Something about the build, the design, the fact that it was Seiko and an automatic, the heavy steel bracelet and the bright orange face (of course :-d) just sucked me in :-!

My first real collecting purchase and still one of my favourites :)

Kev.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I couldn't stand the Monster when I first saw it. Especially the orange one. With it's weird bezel and bright dial I thought it looked like a flower, not rugged and manly. But they grew on me, and I've had my OM for a while now. Can't imagine not having it, but sometimes I think I should have bought the black one. I probably will one day.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Anyway, now I gotta decide on a black strap or bracelet. I've heard the SS bracelet is very well made...but the black strap does look pretty damn cool.

Any thoughts, anyone?
I'd go for the bracelet. I reckon it's expensive to buy it afterwards. On the contrary you can always get some rubber bracelet afterwards.
If I were you I'd buy both right away. I like to have an option to swap... Leather is a no-go though (my opinion).

Am I making a good choice? I know this will be the first of MANY dive style watches, but I just want some re-assurance....
Seems like there are heaps of lucky Monster owners, so I guess you're doing the right thing...

Cheers,
Sebastian

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just got my first monster, and its also my first 'modern' seiko... I have a 6309-7040.

Really love it... I can see what all the fuss is about. I have a z20 and the stock bracelet, and its very comfortable on both. I'm so smitten by mine that I wore it to court today even though its probably not exactly court appropriate. I'm having a hard time wearing anything different right now.

Steve

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
You've made a very good decision in my book. :-!

Also, please do yourself a huge favor and buy it on the bracelet. As someone else said, it is quite pricey to buy the bracelet all by itself, and plus you can always pick up the Z20 rubber strap (or a plethora of other strap options) later on down the road for much cheaper.

Also, you may want to take a look at this deal, which is the best I've seen in a little while for this watch:

http://www.watches.yugster.com/dspPriv.aspx?cid=2073

Also, you can utilize coupon code yugsave5/20 at checkout to save an additional $5.

$154 shipped with no tax is a really nice deal for this watch brand new on SS. :-!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go with the bracelet, it really is very good.

At first I wasn't sure about the Monster either, but eventually I started to like the looks of it. I got it as my first Seiko and been loving it since. Are you sure you want the black one..? ;-)

-ajv-

·
Registered
516 Posts
I own both the bracelet and strap models,They are both very comfortable and look great. I would say buy one of each!:-!

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I was like you also. I decided to get one just to see what the fuss was about. I figured it would be easy to sell if I didn't like it. I have to admit that it took a few days to warm up to, only because it was the most opposite to anything else I have ever bought. After the warm up, I have to say that I really like it and it is regular rotation.

As to why...that is a difficult question and the answer is likely to be different for everyone. For me it is a great example of value for the dollar. It isn't the cheapest, but what you get for what it costs is really something. I got mine for just under $200 and I would spend twice that if necesary.

If you can afford the bracelet, I would get that as the bracelet is very nice. If you can't get it now, I believe yobokies sells them for $30.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
You've made a very good decision in my book. :-!

Also, please do yourself a huge favor and buy it on the bracelet. As someone else said, it is quite pricey to buy the bracelet all by itself, and plus you can always pick up the Z20 rubber strap (or a plethora of other strap options) later on down the road for much cheaper.

Also, you may want to take a look at this deal, which is the best I've seen in a little while for this watch:

http://www.watches.yugster.com/dspPriv.aspx?cid=2073

Also, you can utilize coupon code yugsave5/20 at checkout to save an additional $5.

$154 shipped with no tax is a really nice deal for this watch brand new on SS. :-!
+1 - the Monster SS bracelet is actually the nicest Seiko bracelet I have owned (not having had a MM:roll:) and really comfortable IMHO. It even fits my 8+in wrist without any additional links (which is fairly unusual for OEM bracelets). Changing the bracelet on the Monster is MUCH easier because it has drilled lugs:-! too!

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Go with the bracelet, it really is very good.

At first I wasn't sure about the Monster either, but eventually I started to like the looks of it. I got it as my first Seiko and been loving it since. Are you sure you want the black one..? ;-)

-ajv-
I held off buying one and only got my Black Monster because a WIS friend wanted to sell his and I know he takes great care of them and I figured that if I did not like it I could flip it. Bought an OM within a few weeks and had it out to be modded soon thereafter. Both are terrific watches and I am wearing one as I type this as my after work watch.b-)

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
BITE IT BACK! Quite a few don't dig the Monstrosity as I call it. The more for us! My OM is my outdoors, fishin', swimmin, knock her around (not like that!), go to watch and so far the battle tested bugger keeps a tickin'. It's a great deal of a watch! Get some! or get'r done!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can't say anything that hasn't been said already. Great watch all around, you won't be dissapointed!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts