WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Humans are amazingly resistant to change. Note: I said resistant not resilient.
This is a spin off from a thread that discussed homage/look alike watches.
When we get new watches do we often get derivatives, homages, or even slight variations of pieces we already own?
Do we go wildly into the abyss and pick up something radically different?
Unconventional watches are very polarising. There are those who embrace the new and those who write it off as "difficult to read."

My next watch purchase is in about 8 months and I am juggling between budget and what I really really want. A milestone birthday and I want a watch that would look timeless a quarter century from now.

A huge part of me wants the outstandingly beautiful Seiko SARB065 Cocktail time.
239032d1303753435-seiko-cocktail-time-sarb065-5640393366_58fec29bb4_z.jpg

The stubborn curmudgeon in me wants something more plain.
My most worn piece is my beloved SKN809 with a brown strap.
P1050738.jpg

after much gnashing of teeth, I would either go with the SARB065 or a Sinn 556 (if I could afford it)
7003450copy.jpg
wait a minute....doesn't that look like almost the same watch *LOL*
That got me thinking...for half the price of the Sinn...I could get a watch with the same ETA 2824-2 right here
1085494d1368632751-hamilton-khaki-field-40mm-brown-leather-img_8466r.jpg

Rub your eyes...siblings? Yes...they do look alike.
Why am I looking at different variations of essentially a very similar watch.

The question is...when you look at new watches, do you look at something completely different from the pieces in your collection or do you gravitate towards more of the same?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I sometimes observe a difference between what I like and what I would actually wear regularly. Maybe you have the same case with the Cocktail Time. Beautiful watch, but maybe just not your style. I love the last Hamilton you posted last, but that one I admit is very similar to the Seiko you already have. You could start collecting B-dial type flieger watches. That would be an excuse.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Well, my wife says all my watches "look alike." There is a certain-form-follows-function effect, but I guess that's why the last purchase was a blue Scubadude.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That Sinn is so plain looking, I don't find it intriguing at all. I do like the last Hamilton. It's quite a step up from your Seiko 5. Look at it that way.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine thinks that the Seiko5 she got me for Christmas is an expensive watch ;)
But then again her cheapest watch is $5 and most expensive about $30
Well, my wife says all my watches "look alike." There is a certain-form-follows-function effect, but I guess that's why the last purchase was a blue Scubadude.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Not about the strap, the crown!
Hi Watchbreath,

I have seen you making similar comments before, can you elaborate on why a crown-down position is "upside-down"?

Chuasam, to stay on topic, I usually try to pick something different enough from the collection that I don't feel it is redundant. However, the watches I have might be similar in a certain way just because that's the style I gravitate toward (e.g., black dial, sportier watches).

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are so right. I'm relatively new so I never clued in that the SNK809 was a flieger style watch. I only knew that I love it.
The "sad" thing is that if I ever won the lottery and decided to get something fancy like a IWC...
*facepalm*
iwc_3255-01_mark-xvi_30110_markxvi.jpg

Beobachtungs-uhren? hmm interesting.
STFU!! Take my money
Christies-Patek.jpg
I sometimes observe a difference between what I like and what I would actually wear regularly. Maybe you have the same case with the Cocktail Time. Beautiful watch, but maybe just not your style. I love the last Hamilton you posted last, but that one I admit is very similar to the Seiko you already have. You could start collecting B-dial type flieger watches. That would be an excuse.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
My watches do tend to look very similar to each other. Right now I have 6 black dial divers (5 of them are Seikos) and my Hamilton Pan Europ is black dialed with a timing bezel, and there are two other black dial dive watches I want. I do have other colours and styles but there is a definite majority and I'm happy with just one of the other styles or colours, like my one white dial dress watch is enough, but still want other dive watches.

I used to think that I needed to fill all these different niches of colours and styles to have a collection, but when I did that I found that I didn't like a lot of those styles and it felt like a waste. So now I try to only buy what I would actually wear fairly regularly, with an exception for very cheap interesting watches or vintage Seikos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts