WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would maybe say the Harrison H5. If you don't know the history of this pocket watch you must read about it. I was fortunate enough to see it in person in London and learned about the prototypes and the circumstances around its inception at the Greenwich Observatory which is also in London. The GMT line goes right through the observatory. Maybe Big Ben is #2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
Big Ben without a doubt is the most famous timepiece in the world. If you are talking about a specific watch...I'd probably say the Timex Ironman, although if you are talking about just a generic brand name I'd say Timex or Rolex.

·
Premium Member
34,466 Posts
BB would probably be the most visible over here.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mean brand. I mean which exact specific time piece.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
To be picky about it, Big Ben is the Great Bell in the Great Clock in the Elizabeth Tower in Westminster. I would agree that the Great Clock is likely the most famous one in the world.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I don't mean brand. I mean which exact specific time piece.

I'd probably opt for the ubiquitous Timex Ironman. Everybody has heard of the Ironman. While everybody has heard of "Rolex" I doubt anyone outside the watch community would be able to name a specific model. That's my best guess anyway.

·
Registered
56 Posts
To be picky about it, Big Ben is the Great Bell in the Great Clock in the Elizabeth Tower in Westminster. I would agree that the Great Clock is likely the most famous one in the world.
Learned something new!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I would maybe say the Harrison H5. If you don't know the history of this pocket watch you must read about it. I was fortunate enough to see it in person in London and learned about the prototypes and the circumstances around its inception at the Greenwich Observatory which is also in London. The GMT line goes right through the observatory. Maybe Big Ben is #2?
Famous? No, but it should be. Historically significant? Absolutely, that timepiece changed the world.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I should probably let you know that Big Ben is a bell, not a clock.

EDIT: Ray beat me to it.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
It HAS to be the clock that we ignorant folk call Big Ben.

Reactions: Ace McLoud

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
+1 for the clock in the Houses of Parliment (was going to call it Big Ben but I cleverly read the preceding comments).

While I have heard of John Harrsion, I didn't know the name of his first timepiece, and I suspect many others don't either.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
My answer was Big Ben....Harrison is unknown to me.
probably the H4 more so than the H5 - however i would really recommend that those who haven't read the background to John Harrison and his son in the 18th century and there amazing journey to develop and perfect the Marine Chronometer and what they had to overcome - absolutely fascinating story - imagine in the early 1700's building a clock that travelled the high seas in a box and was something like five seconds out on its return after five or six weeks

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
22,345 Posts
I would maybe say the Harrison H5. If you don't know the history of this pocket watch you must read about it.
If it's "famous", we would all know about it already.

Big Ben.

If the topic is opened up to models of watches and not just individual timepieces, I'd keep Big Ben at #1 and put the Rolex Datejust at #2.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
If it's "famous", we would all know about it already.

Big Ben.

If the topic is opened up to models of watches and not just individual timepieces, I'd keep Big Ben at #1 and put the Rolex Datejust at #2.
i agree that famous is relative -Big Ben is more famous but basically just a clock on a famous landmark - i think maybe if the question was 'which is the most important clock ' in the world we would have a more interesting debate

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
22,345 Posts
i agree that famous is relative -Big Ben is more famous but basically just a clock on a famous landmark - i think maybe if the question was 'which is the most important clock ' in the world we would have a more interesting debate
Right, and in that case, I'd pick whatever clock it was (might've been mentioned already) that worked on ships and allowed precision navigation that had previously been impossible. That capability indeed changed the world.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
probably the H4 more so than the H5 - however i would really recommend that those who haven't read the background to John Harrison and his son in the 18th century and there amazing journey to develop and perfect the Marine Chronometer and what they had to overcome - absolutely fascinating story - imagine in the early 1700's building a clock that travelled the high seas in a box and was something like five seconds out on its return after five or six weeks
5 seconds in six weeks! They should've gone with a quartz movement instead. ;-)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts