WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had a lot of talk recently about the Heuer Monaco and what a great iconic design it was. We'd all agree that it is a stone cold classic that looks as great today as it did all those years ago when Steve McQueen sported one in the Le Mans movie with the classic Gulf suit on. It got me thinking, what are the most iconic bada$s watches of all time? Watches that have or will stand the test of time and inspire scores of homages. Watches that say 'I'm a man and I mean business'. Watches that will get you a knowing nod of approval from fellow WIS who'll take one look at your timepiece and think 'That guy must be an astronaut/race car driver/suave international spy/elite special forces operative/shark wrestler or whatever'. Tell us what makes your chosen watch so bada$s.

I'll start off with the Omega Seamaster Ploprof.
Original Ploprof.jpg
(Picture of original vintage Ploprof from internet search)

A watch so bada$s that it comes on a thick chain mail like mesh band and one of it's hands is a sword. Taking functional rugged design to the maximum the case is a massive thick hulk of steel with a wrench like guard for the crown. This is the ultimate tool watch and the most solid thing I've ever seen. Everything about it's design is taken to the extreme to give you the impression of being a serious piece of professional kit that won't let you down. The clasp on the modern version is a massive thick piece of steel with a ratchet mechanism that looks like something you'd find to keep you secure on a white knuckle thrill ride. This watch looks like it would just laugh at whatever you threw at it. And if that wasn't enough it has a massive red button sticking out of the dial. It's the kind of thing you expect to see encased under glass and to have 'Break in case of emergencies' written on it. I can't stress how awesome this watch is.

3914664695_6e95ca4492_o.jpg

smpp1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'll be the first to say it. Rolex Submariner. Googled pic:

rolex-submariner_2.jpg

One day, it will be mine!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Straight badass? How about the watch worn by the most badass man of all time. Sean Connery aka the REAL James Bond. Not to mention this watch has spawned possibly more homages than any other watch. Diver's can have perhaps one element from this classic and there will always be a Rolex lover that will turn up with a line like "nice watch, I prefer the original". Personally I'd never pay for one but they're bad ass because James Bone loved them.

tumblr_m7s98u0ld31qzns6no1_500.jpg

You specifically mentioned astronauts and considering this is my holy grail I must mention the Omega Speedmaster Professional. The first watch on the moon. Let me say that again for you...THE FIRST WATCH ON THE MOON. The watch doesn't even need anything else said about it beyond that.
spirit-and-history_hall-of-fame_watches_moonwatch_showroom.jpg

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Moonwatch, Sub and Monaco definitely get instant founder member access to the badass club, no doubt about it.

·
Vendor
25,464 Posts
How about the '69 Zenith El Primero? Not just iconic, but ground-breaking in its time. Also, the Omega Seamaster Deville, as well as any Seamaster dress watch from the late '50's/early '60's, such classic understated elegance. Lastly, the Longines Legend Diver. Maybe not a classic yet, but I believe it's destined to be one.

Zenith El Primero.jpg

Seamaster Deville.jpg

LLD.JPG

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
How about the '69 Zenith El Primero? Not just iconic, but ground-breaking in its time. Also, the Omega Seamaster Deville, as well as any Seamaster dress watch from the late '50's/early '60's, such classic understated elegance. Lastly, the Longines Legend Diver. Maybe not a classic yet, but I believe it's destined to be one.

View attachment 1088456

View attachment 1088457

View attachment 1088458
That era of Seamasters were simply beautiful. That is THE vintage piece to have if you own only one in my opinion. One with a silver case/silver dial on a black strap is on my long list.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's the dark horse entry. Not classic but a badass nonetheless. Breitling Emergency. Tacky company, quartz movement, but people show up to save your bacon if you pull the antenna out. I bet the chicks ponder your "dangerous lifestyle" when they see it on your wrist too! Or, more likely, they will never even notice.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
market_image.2843478.jpg

I like the LLD a lot, but for me my reservation about calling it a future icon is that it looks to me like it's taken quite a lot of inspiration from say a vintage Blancpain 'No Radiation' era Fifty Fathoms, albeit with an internal bezel. The LLD is a great watch though but what when I think of truly iconic watches like the Monaco, Blancpain FF or Ploprof was that they looked so boldly like nothing that had come before them.

Question. Should we put the Citizen Bullhead into the Iconic Badass Watch Club?

·
Vendor
25,464 Posts
View attachment 1088477

I like the LLD a lot, but for me my reservation about calling it a future icon is that it looks to me like it's taken quite a lot of inspiration from say a vintage Blancpain 'No Radiation' era Fifty Fathoms, albeit with an internal bezel. It's a great watch though but what when I think of truly iconic watches like the Monaco, Blancpain FF or Ploprof was that they looked so boldly like nothing that had come before them.

Question. Should we put the Citizen Bullhead into the Iconic Badass Watch Club?
Meh. I see your point. That whole "taking inspiration-paying homage" debate will rage for centuries, no doubt. But as I see it, very little in watches is truly "original" - everything takes inspiration from something.

I like the LLD better, but that's what keeps those greedy bastards who own watch companies in big cigars and cognac, I s'pose.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the Citizen Bullhead definitely has to be up there. I mean s**t, it literally looks a freaking bulls head!
ChallengeTimerMuseum X .jpg

This thing just says speed, and the fishtail bracelet is a classic of it's era. If the Monaco is Steve McQueen on the track at Le Mans then the Bullhead was his Japanese cousin pushing a Nissan Fairlady Z (Datsun 240Z) to the redline at rush hour on an urban Tokyo Expressway. Japanese cool at it's best.
29092009217.jpg
29092009216.jpg
(Pictures from internet search).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts