WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So massive infact, that i spent nearly 3 hours on it and i've only checked half of them. Stopped for the night since it's getting late.

Some background history on this...earlier this year, i commissioned a watch factory in shenzhen, china to make these watches as i wanted a particular watch that didn't exist. That's the factory's name on the dial infact (De Rieter). After more than 5 months and a lot of headaches later...the watches are finally done and have arrived. For the full story, feel free to read the following threads (last 2 are more recent) :

https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/getting-custom-chinese-watch-made-610278.html?highlight=

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/dial-design-custom-watch-project-626922.html?highlight=

https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/custom-chinese-watch-project-part-2-a-626915.html?highlight=

And ron has done a very nice review with awesome pics here : https://www.watchuseek.com/f72/iancs-custom-chinese-watch-project-albertatime-review-683583.html

You will notice the pictures are really dark with shadows everywhere...not sure why that happened, i took the pictures in very bright light. I'm guessing my camera over compensated for the bright light. Click the pictures for the full size.

Two cartons, delivered by a friendly UPS man...

Unboxing one of the cartons

The final watch boxes, which are actually a very dark red.

And the macro shots that you have been waiting for. Colors are white dial with blue hands/numerals and cream dial with black hands/numerals. Straps are padded genuine leather, alligator grain.

Specs :

Case : 40mm stainless steel with exhibition case back
Crystal : Sapphire front, mineral back
Lugs : 20mm
Water resistant : 30 meters
Movement : Seagull ST25 (automatic, hand winding and hacking). Actually contains a date function (the dial was originally supposed to have a date window, but the factory made the wrong case...)

So far out of 100 watches, 3 are dead on arrival, 3 watch boxes were damaged and 4 have particularly noisy rotors that rotate freely (perhaps too freely). I'm not sure if this is normal for the ST25, or they just have loose rotors...

Will post more tommorrow.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Congratulations, Ian! I am happy to see that you solved the payment glitch that held them in shipping for so long. It's a classy, dressy watch. Well done - that's quite a project to undertake.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Good to see everything worked out Ian! I was very, very wary of such a project when you first posted about it. QC level is about 1 out of 10 to be sent back, then?

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Must feel like Christmas with loads of packaging all over the place.
Impressed with your enthusiasum with the project, and to see the end result of all the hair loss/pulling....respect mate.
Nice looking pieces. And the no-date is a bonus for wrist rotations btw ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Really nice project you did there.
The watches are not really my taste but still look kinda nice

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Must be amazing to finally have them in hand. Congratulations on getting to this point.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Wasn't this the dial design where we discussed that the "automatic" font should be more cohesive with the DeRieter? If so, it looks a lot better this way. Nice work.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
These look great Ian, well done mate!!!
I have PMd you a few days ago about the white with blue hands however I am having second thoughts and can not decide between the two colours so I might as well save myself some money on shipments and get it over and done with in one go.
If I'm allowed, count me in for one of each please ;-)

Once again, well done.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Okay, finished checking the other 100.

In total that's 5 dead watches, 7 destroyed watch boxes and 7 watches with particularly noisy rotors. All in all, i think that's much better than the average.

I just got the contact info for the company who insured the shipment, so i will talk to them and see how much i can claim for the damaged items...

I'm not sure whether the 7 watches with noisy rotors are faulty though. A quick check on google shows that the ST25 movement sometimes has a noiser than usual rotor.

Depending on how talks with the insurance company go, i will see if the factory can replace the dead watches and possibly take a look at the noisy ones...

sirgilbert : Well it's either that, or open a muesuem with 200 of the same watch :p.

Midshipman : Yep, it is. Don from the NZ Timekeepers forum actually came up with the Kunstler script font used on the dial. That worked out beautifully. A very special thanks to him, as well as everyone who has been following the project for the last 5 months.

Gonna make a thread in the sales corner soon...

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
I've been a little absent from here of late but caught wind of your project in the early stages, Ian. Really, really great to see it come to fruition. Really cool achievement and a great looking watch.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Glad to see you got them! It looks to me like the printing on the Roman numerals came out much better than the samples. Hope you still like them after all this work. I think they look nice- not my cup of tea, but I respect all the work and stress this project must have taken.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts