WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the Heuer Monaco, I see about 2 dozen watches. Any one know what the others are? I noticed a lot of stuff that is popular now and had no idea they they were "retro" styled. Well other than the Monaco of course.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Best motor racing era IMHO. Porsche 917's and Ferrari 512's duelling. Nothing better. The first couple of laps have never been beaten for showing the excitement and passion of auto racing.:)

I'll take a look at my DVD when I can. I imagine there will be a fair few Heuers on display-Carreras, Silverstones, and the like. Always popular with drivers. Undoubtedly some Rolex, too.

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't they still hold the records from that era? I thought they started restricting them after that.

And yeah great film.

·
Registered
400 Posts
One of the all time great motor racing films. The opening sequences are a tour de force. And who can forget the French cop who can't get his motorcycle started? Hemingway said, "There are only three sport: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and auto racing. All the rest are games."

I guess I too will have to get out my DVD and look at the watches.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Certainly a great start to any movie, but I prefer the opening of Frankenheimer's Grand Prix -- the "down the spout" exhaust shot and the roar as the F1 engines start never fails to raise the hairs on the back of my neck. Unfortunately the film tries to appeal to a wider audience, so as far as racing films go then Le Mans is far superior. And I don't recall any decent watches in Grand Prix.

For the opposite end of the scale, it is difficult to say whether Days of Thunder or Driven are the worst. I didn't spend enough time looking at the screen to notice if any of the cast were actually wearing watches at all...

·
Registered
400 Posts
...but I prefer the opening of Frankenheimer's Grand Prix -- the "down the spout" exhaust shot and the roar as the F1 engines start never fails to raise the hairs on the back of my neck....
Another great beginning. There's a terrific close in shot in the opening sequence or a driver's feet as he does a heel and toe downshift. And music's great as well.

But I don't remember any watches.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Best motor racing era IMHO. Porsche 917's and Ferrari 512's duelling. Nothing better. The first couple of laps have never been beaten for showing the excitement and passion of auto racing.:)
:-! :-!

The scenes with the #25 Kurt Ahrens white long-tail 917 blasting down the (real) Mulsanne straight, bursting over the rise after the kink and braking into the (real) Mulsanne corner... :)

Great era, Great movie.

:p

·
Registered
767 Posts
It was speculated elsewhere that McQueen only wore the Heuer in Le Mans because his character Michael Delaney was sponsored by them, indeed Delaney sported a huge Heuer patch on his racing overalls. McQueen appears to have favoured Rolex, especially the Submariner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts