WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed to get off the island where i work for a weeklong business trip - and that involved taking some time off to go to my local multi-brand AD and pick up my next watch, and also swing by my other domicile and collect the stuff that has come for me in the mail.

I've mentioned before - i am a dive instructor and run a dive center/resort. I already had an IWC Aqautimer as my "office wear" watch, and recently got the Seiko OM to actually take in the water (although i am still waiting for the 2 NATO straps i had ordered for it). I wanted a mid-range watch that i could take with me on more active holidays and wear while swimming, kitesurfing or whatever, without having to worry hugely about roughing it up. The Longines Heritage Diver fit the bill - looks different from the usual run-of-the-mill watch, can be dressed up or down by changing the strap, waterproof to 300m and also a very interesting past. Got a great deal from my AD and it was a no-brainer.

The Orient Pepsi i had ordered a while back as a second diver - something that i can actually take in the water when i dive. I have the Orange Monster, but wanted to have a second watch as a change of pace. Plus, I dig the Pepsi color combo (although I am a Coke/Coke Zero person myself).

The third watch, partially concealed so as to fit with forum guidelines, is a Parnis Panerai homage, which i have ordered to see how well i get along with a PAM sized watch (this paid off really well for me with the Rodina, as it helped me realize that the Nomos wouldnt work well for me. The jury is still out on the Panerai).

The fourth... well, em, about that. I also got my Staub mesh bracelet for the Longines yesterday, so took it to the AD this afternoon to have it sized and installed. And while i was waiting, the Tissot Touch got my attention. I frequently go hiking in the mountains, etc and while i have had a G-Shock I use for ages, I dont quite like it as much anymore, now that i have a bunch of nicer watches. The Tissot is the perfect outdoor watch for me. This was a bit of an impulse buy, as i was standing around the shop waiting for me.

Ok, that's officially f**ktons of watches to have gotten in 22 days so far (the Seiko OM came in the first week of Jan). Now, time to ease off till April/May, when i buy my JLC or Zenith.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I like the PAM parnis idea to see if you like the PAM. I have never actually lived with a PAM and I may like it. I should try that. I should have done that with a Daytona parnis or something to see if I like it instead of getting it and then selling it. Luckily, with Daytonas, you can almost get all your money back

·
Banned
2,843 Posts
Love the LLD especially. Congrats on everything though!

Reactions: vkalia

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the PAM parnis idea to see if you like the PAM. I have never actually lived with a PAM and I may like it.
While I actually get really good prices on watches in this part of the world, it is typically only the big brands and relatively smaller selection. So it is often hard to try out the more exotic stuff. And I find looking at my wrist in a store - or even standing against a mirror - doesnt give me a good idea of how the watch will wear with different clothes, etc. The homages provide an inexpensive way to try this out.

Helped me rule out the Nomos, helped me rule out silver dials - but the PAM is a bit tricky. The Parnis looks nice when i wear it, but when i tried on an actual PAM at a dealer yesterday, it seemed way too big. Gonna live with the Parnis for a while, to figure out if it is just a sudden change in watch size that is getting to me, or something else.

Toothbras - yep. The one i am on is about 12 miles x 8 miles :)

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Congrats on the watches but you get good prices on watches on an island you live on!?!? Are we talking about heaven, Sir. :) where is this wonderful place? :) love the LLD and the touch, awesome choices.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the watches but you get good prices on watches on an island you live on!?!? Are we talking about heaven, Sir. :) where is this wonderful place? :) love the LLD and the touch, awesome choices.
Nah man, we got the first ATM on this island a couple of years ago, and I dont even 2G data, let alone 3G or 4G. I have to take a ferry and a 2 hour flight to get to anywhere with watch shops. I dont even get international mail here, so all my mail accrues at another address, and i get to pick it up every month - it is like Christmas every 30 days :)

It's a chain of islands off the coast of Phuket. And thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Awesome! I hope to pick up the Longines one day. I must admit, I am jealous about the island part. You should get me a job there ;-)

Reactions: vkalia

·
Registered
31,361 Posts
The Longines looks way nicer on the mesh that I though it would.

Congrats, but once you start buying it is VERY hard to stop.........

·
Registered
930 Posts
Congrats on the LDD. Every time i see someone post a pic of their LDD i get so jealous. I sold mine because the lugs were just too long on my wrist :(

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
Congrats on some lovely watches. I particularly like the Pepsi Mako.
You just had to rub it in with the Tissot though didn't you? We are currently going though a warm spell and the temperature is a whole 1 degree C. Even my house isn't as warm as the T Touch is. :-!

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on some lovely watches. I particularly like the Pepsi Mako.
You just had to rub it in with the Tissot though didn't you? We are currently going though a warm spell and the temperature is a whole 1 degree C. Even my house isn't as warm as the T Touch is. :-!
Hey, it is winter here, too - i have to wear a long-sleeved t-shirt in the evenings. And the ocean is only 27C - have to wear a full wetsuit when i dive. :)

Funnily, i actually miss the snow. I dont miss scraping it off my car in the mornings before going to work, but i do miss cold. There is such a thing as too much sun.

Reactions: Jackson Filth
1 - 18 of 18 Posts