WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone.
So the new Breitling Steelfish Chrono will soon be available in the boutiques. What's your thoughts on it??? Who's getting one. I am tempted myself :)
It will be a popular model I'm sure.

CALIBER
Breitling 13
MOVEMENT
Selfwinding mechanical
CHRONOGRAPH
1/4th second, 30 minutes, 12 hours
VIBRATION
28 800 v.p.h
JEWEL
25 jewels
CALENDAR
Day & date
CASE
Steel

WATER RESISTANCE
500 m (1,650 ft)
BEZEL
Unidirectional, ratcheted
CROWN
Screw-locked and pushpieces
CRYSTAL
Cambered sapphire, glareproofed both sides
DIAMETER
44.00 mm
STRAP
Diver Pro, Ocean Racer or Professional

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm sooo happy there is a BEB dial version too: will be one of my favourites. Pricing is a bit over the roof but hey, you don't see such a nice sports chrono too often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I believe this will be a hot seller. 500m, day-date, killer lume, plus what I assume will be a great wrist presence! Well done Breitling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi. It will be priced at £4,600 UK. So not a cheap piece :)
But you do get a lot of watch for your money!!!!

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
First Breitling I've seen in a long time I really like.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I've seen it in the flesh at Vienna ADs last week. Very toolish looking, no blingy at all. Haha. Did not have the urge to buy or even try it on. If it has a baton version, I'll probably be tempted.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, the black dialed version looks so much better than the blue/black dialed version which we discussed a little while ago.

I'll reserve judgment until I see it in the steel. It looks interesting and toolish, but it still feels like an odd design follow up to the previous Steelfish which was one of the most beloved Breitlings in recent years. I wonder if it was not titled a 'Steelfish' I might find it easier to love.

Some drawbacks for now…the first being the price seems steep. Also, I really do not understand why it is a chrono. Is there going to be a three hander? Finally, I am not a purist who advocates for no date on dive watches but is a day date needed?

That said, it does look sexy in the dive suit shot...and a Panda version might get the juices flowing!

Edit; yes, Panda version, no three hander as yet.

An odd note, even on the webite, some images show 'Steelfish' under the day/date others 'Superocean'.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
A day date isn't needed on a dive watch. But some dive watches that aren't too technical have one, i.e. my technomarine is fitted with a day date. It just happens to be the movement the company puts into the watch. I wouldn't mind looking at a day date on a chronograph. I think it fits the dial of the chrono steelfish. On a non-chrono dial , then maybe just a date would be sufficient.

But even though Breitling did away with the rider tabs on the bezel with the new superoceans, I think that also they took away the function of the bezel as a compass.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Relatively nice but, and this is a MEGA BUT!
At HKD 50,940 or just a tad over $6,500 in real Dollars here in Hong Kong it is a bit too steep. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Relatively nice but, and this is a MEGA BUT!
At HKD 50,940 or just a tad over $6,500 in real Dollars here in Hong Kong it is a bit too steep. Sorry.
It's also in line with the superocean chronograph in blacksteel version. The 2 models are lined up as special editions.

I would consider this if adding a superocean chronograph to the collection, as steelfish owners have an item to add on to. Or if you've come to some point of unloading some models or model from the collection to. Either way, won't happen for me anytime soon.

·
Registered
937 Posts
A day date isn't needed on a dive watch. But some dive watches that aren't too technical have one, i.e. my technomarine is fitted with a day date. It just happens to be the movement the company puts into the watch. I wouldn't mind looking at a day date on a chronograph. I think it fits the dial of the chrono steelfish. On a non-chrono dial , then maybe just a date would be sufficient.

But even though Breitling did away with the rider tabs on the bezel with the new superoceans, I think that also they took away the function of the bezel as a compass.
I'd never buy a sports chronograph without day-date: not only makes the dial more balanced but I wear my sports chronographs usually during week-ends, long week-ends and holidays, where the need to know the weekday at a quick glance grows. B01 driven Chronomat 41 would be my next (after the BEB dial Steelfish Chrono) as soon as the day-date feature will be added.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
This has been done with the old superocean chrono with the day date but at 42mm. Even that one has the better looking steel bezel with rider tabs and classic font.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Honestly, change the logo and it could be anyone's watch. It doesn't look particularly "Breitlingy" to me... Must be the bezel that's tricking me ;-)

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Only six short years ago you got exactly the same for less than half the price (Superocean Chrono, 500m and a more expensive bezel, £2,100).

This watch is nice but very plain, and doesn't look much like a Breitling. Could be a Ball, or a Seiko, Longines etc.

EDIT: OzO beat me to it!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Only six short years ago you got exactly the same for less than half the price (Superocean Chrono, 500m and a more expensive bezel, £2,100).

This watch is nice but very plain, and doesn't look much like a Breitling. Could be a Ball, or a Seiko, Longines etc.

EDIT: OzO beat me to it!
I beg to differ: if I remember well the CSO I. on steel bracelet that I've bought had a RRP of cca. 3000 Euro back in 2003. Now the same market will offer the Steelfish Chrono on bracelet for about 5000 Euro. So that's cca. 67% in cca. 11 years - not far from the price policy of some other brands :)
It is interesting with this "doesn't look like a Breitling" which I can read throughout the web. Usually that means not having those rider tabs I think. But the rider tabs came first in 1984, 100 year after the foundation of the manufacture... Ican live without the rider tabs, despite I usually like the looks of the rider tabs, after a few pullis had to be thrown out I like this new/old style of bezel - not only practically but optically too. And the coin-edge-like bezel frame makes turning much easier than that of rider-tabs bezels. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Yes. but I'm sure you're also loosing the compass use from the bezel with rider tabs.

And for those who DIY fix / polish out dents from the bezel. I got really good at this from the Breitling video. I'm not sure how coin edged bezels are fixed.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
YMMV, I guess, they were £2,100 in the UK until 2007. Agree that the rider tabs are only 30 years old in design terms, but that only means this new Steelfish doesn't look like another Breitling, whether old or new. I probably should wear more jumpers :)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
If I didn't know this was a new release, I would have thought it would have been an earlier 2000's model by just looking at the picture/design. Looks dated for some reason to me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I didn't know this was a new release, I would have thought it would have been an earlier 2000's model by just looking at the picture/design. Looks dated for some reason to me.
If you call this watch dated, how would you call any Rolex Oyster? Maybe a "classic". I think if someone is not fond of a design that can be called dated, otherwise classic. Facit: I'd rather call the CSOSF a classic design :)
Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts