WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Image from Arizona Fine Time. All others from ablogtoread.com

Wow, just look at it. Those lumed, blued super cool shaped hands. Hour markers and date window perhaps slightly reminiscent of the AT8500. I think it looks awesome. In house movement, of course, and, most importantly, this watch is priced in the no-man's land of about $1000 before discount.

This is a significant piece. Citizen has shown no real interest in the mid-level mechanical market in a long time. They've had solid entry level offerings for as long as I've been looking at Citizens with some really attractive pieces. Although they were priced to reflect this, movement wise, they really weren't ready to play with the big dogs. But Citizen decided it wanted some of that sweet, sweet ETA 2824 and 2892 market and made the Cal. 9015 (around 2010). Now, I should note up front, I'm not totally sure this new Citizen is using a 9015, or if it is, is it modified. I think it's a high probability though.

She's a looker. For the price, anyway. It's a full featured movement too. 42 hour power reserve, 28.8k bph, 24 jewels, automatic, hacking and handwinding. Interestingly, like all other current Miyotas, this also features unidirectional winding. While Citizen/Miyota can't claim to have had the epiphany JLC did since it's always made unidirectional winders, the substantial group of WUS members who take JLC's claim as proof positive should be delighted to know they can get something similar here. I don't know if it uses any exotic materials for the interface, however.

One should look take a second look at that movement, actually. Then look down at your ETA-based "Swiss" watch. Finally, take a moment to mark this time in your mind. I predict that within 5-10 years, a large portion of the movement world occupied by ETA today will be occupied by this in the future, or its derivatives. It's probably not a coincidence that the various incarnations are made to meet or exceed the performance of the 2824, but is in fact almost the exact same size. Almost as if it was designed to simply drop in.

Naturally, these will have to be filtered through Citizen's new subsidiaries in Switzerland in order to satisfy the presumptions of luxury watch buyers who find it simply implausible than an Asian could make a passable watch, so the name on the rotor will be different, and even the source will, apparently, be different, but in the end, it'll probably be a variation on this 9015. I believe this is Citizen's intention in quietly buying existing Swiss companies. It'll be their job to take high-end (by their standard) Miyota parts, assemble them in Switzerland with perhaps whatever small amount of parts are needed to hit that magical 51% mark, and then rebadged for the third party.

So I bring this watch to your attention in two ways: 1, I think it's a very cool watch for the money and probably quite good, and 2, I think it represents a lot more than it at first lets on. It's the first volley, the first real one at any rate, to be fired after the pullout of ETA. This may very well be the most significant watch of the next decade in terms of what it symbolizes.

Or maybe not. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Very interesting stuff. I would agree with your assessments. Of course, there is the time required for a movement to be tested by consumers and to earn the reputation of being a rugged and reliable mechanism. But I imagine it will get there.

You were up late.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Has this already been released?

·
Banned
668 Posts
I think this jibes with my earlier post that the companies are really coming in hard on the ETS scene.
I think you all need to look at Alpina as well. I was not sure until I got one in a trade.
Mine came with a large sailboat. Was a LTD Edition and, well go check it out. Serious stuff. I love Citizen as well. Own the new AT and it is a rock solid joy to own

Here are the numbers and info to go with this. Watch world is changing. I think we have a forum on this site.
Alpina Extreme Sailing AL-525LB4V6/B/B2 '

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Don't like the fat rehaut, date window, hands, crown guards or crown.
I can see the tapered/angled/diamond share motif going on there and I understand it but not my thing. It reminds me strangely enough of the Mazda RX8 where these went crazy with the triangle rotor motif inside the car.

I do like the simple smooth transition lug and the thin bezel. Think it could be thin bezel then fat rehaut that looks wrong to me. A small shift in the ratio between the two should fix that. The seconds hand is quite nice but never understood the lume on the counter weight.

Not entirely convinced by the dial treatment but can't really see what is going on there.
One to see in the metal before final judgement for me.

Definitely seen better looking Seiko.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,690 Posts
It is nice to see Citizen back with a new mechanical movement. Love those blued hands on a silvered dial. My very first visual impression was of similarity to a couple of Precisionist models. I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a micro regulator given the price range they are in. The display back is nicely done and shows off an attractively designed rotor. I suspect their intended competition includes Seiko SARB models using the 6R15 as well.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
They could become a player for outsourced movements. They would have to build these movements in Switzerland for obvious reasons, and if they could make a column wheel mechanical chronograph movement with a vertical clutch for outsourcing ....... that would be a revolution.

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I'm not so keen on the watch itself (or at least the dial), but it's hard not to agree that Citizen is positioning itself to take a bite of the increasingly-desperate movement market. In my mind, the real question is whether the "new" ETA is from a Japanese company, or a Chinese one. The irony of course is that by withdrawing their ETAs, Swatch is pretty much forcing their competitors to partner with Asian companies -- which might hurt the Swiss industry enough to hurt Swatch in the long run.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
to drunken monkey: what about this model?
View attachment 777510
Much better.
I really am more of a fan of the traditional simple look, especially when it comes to something that leans towards being a dress watch like this one does. It's probably profession related but I find something very pleasing about simple designs that show good proportions and ratios between elements. Even very mundane things like the distance between the dial edge and the chapter ring, if it looks wrong to me, can put me off a watch.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm not so keen on the watch itself (or at least the dial), but it's hard not to agree that Citizen is positioning itself to take a bite of the increasingly-desperate movement market. In my mind, the real question is whether the "new" ETA is from a Japanese company, or a Chinese one. The irony of course is that by withdrawing their ETAs, Swatch is pretty much forcing their competitors to partner with Asian companies -- which might hurt the Swiss industry enough to hurt Swatch in the long run.
Exactly.

I cannot understand the withdrawal of a lucrative product from a market without replacing it.
Are they (Swatch) just giving up that revenue stream?

It seems like a nonsensical thing to do...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Interesting post. Love the watch. I think Swatch is going to realize that it done goofed- it was probably a little short-sighted to think that all of the competitors that it supplied with movements and parts would just "go away" once they stopped supplying them. This could be one of the alternatives that brands start looking at, and could end up being pretty disastrous for Swatch in the long run.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The shot of the watch back shows that the movement is Cal. 9010, which I assume is a version of 9015. I've owned a Miyota 9015 powered watch (Benarus Moray) for a year and a half now, and I think the Miyota 9015 is absolutely a match for the ETA 2824.

As for the watch itself, I suspect it would look better in person than it does in the pictures to me, but I personally think that this style of watch should perhaps just eschew the lume on the hands and dial. I love lume as much as the next guy, but I think I prefer blued hands to be lume-free.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I like the dial and hands, but the chunkier crown guard leaves me cold.

As far as the movement goes, I liked the 9015 but had a few niggles with it. I had a Helson Tortuga with it, now traded. Hacking and handwinding = great. It was reasonably accurate as well, so no issues there. It's the rotor that bugged me a bit. First, it was rather noisy. Second, with unidirectional winding, it did have a tendency to freewheel in one direction. It wasn't quite as heavy as a valjoux 7750 rotor, but it was heavy enough to where I noticed a bit of a watch wobble from the rotor. This wasn't a problem for me in a big chunky diver, but in a dress watch I think it would.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts