WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always found that one of the greatest attributes of Rolex, is in the versatility of its sports watches. Today more than ever, the growing selection of bracelets across the sports line, just to makes the wearing experience even more diverse.

Flashback to almost 20 years ago, I purchased my first submariner when I was a PMC. I was actually told to do this by a senior teammate, who advised, that I ditch my current Luminox, and get a sub, or GMT. (Should I get into any trouble;)

In hindsight, he was probably a bit of a WIS himself, and if I had never met him, I probably would not have this addiction today.
Long story short, when I got stateside, I bought the cheapest submariner I could find. A 14060 for around 2K. It was used, and didn’t even have the correct bracelet, but it didn’t matter, because I still had reservations about wearing a shiny watch, so I quickly replaced it with a rubber strap anyway.

I wore that Sub for eight years in a variety of situation’s, and it proved itself to be the perfect all around watch.

Regrettably, when the new ceramic models became available, I sold it to help fund the newest model.
To this day I still regret selling that watch, due to the memories attached to it.
That said, I also soon found out, that the new Maxi case, and lack of drilled lug holes, just didn’t seem to work very well, when combined with rubber straps, and NATO’s, and I always somewhat missed the proportions of the five digit model.

Flash forward to the updated 124060, and 126610 subs, with slimed lugs , and more classical/proportionate design elements, that have persuaded me to march down to my AD, and request my own 124060. I can’t wait to get this watch on my wrist, and I also can’t wait to start experimenting with straps, and NATO’s once again.

In the interim, I thought I would start this thread, so members could share their ideas, and show off strap combinations for the new case design, that subjectively pulls more from the submariner‘s heritage, compared to the outgoing model.

PLEASE NOTE
1. This is a thread for the 2020 model submariner’s and xxxx references only. Only post pics of other models if it is pertinent to the subject of reference 12xxxx models (like comparing sizing etc.) I’m sure you guys can figure it out.
2. Obviously please post your pictures, but also don’t forget to mention the strap size used️21 mm straps just aren’t as prevalent, so members will be curious as to whether, or not a 20, or 22mm strap was used.
3. Also (if possible) please mention the brand used, or who made the strap, or NATO.
4. Most importantly, I created this post so members could creatively illustrate the versatility of this new strap monster. SO HAVE FUN

I’ll start, with a picture (pirated) from the inter-web.
A 124060, on what I assume to be a classic looking, 21mm black nylon NATO. Strap Co. I believe.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Pirated? That isn't your watch? 🤔

NATO is a useful strap for diving etc to prevent loss but...Submariner needs/deserves it's bracelet!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn’t wear this brand if I didn’t use the OEM bracelets....
The bracelets are the best in the business, But if you have ever thrown a Rubber B, or Everest on something like a sub, or a SD43, then you know it’s fun, and sometimes more comfortable to mix it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
The bracelets are the best in the business, But if you have ever thrown a Rubber B, or Everest on something like a sub, or a SD43, then you know it’s fun, and sometimes more comfortable to mix it up a bit.
I would sooner be caught wearing a Invicta than a Rubber B or Everest on a Rolex Sport model...or any model for that matter.

·
Premium Member
15,834 Posts
It’s all part of the hobby and I’ve done the same thing and still do. However for the most part I leave my Rolexes on their SS bracelets and mostly experiment these days with Seiko’s.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s all part of the hobby and I’ve done the same thing and still do. However for the most part I leave my Rolexes on their SS bracelets and mostly experiment these days with Seiko’s.
I’m usually in the same boat, but putting my SD43 on a rubber b strap, has made it so comfortable, that it has become a daily for me. Also it reminded me why I never put a strap on my Hulk, (blocky lugs)
It just didn’t look right, compared to the five digit references.
Now that the case has been remedied, I figure why not take another run at it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Seems like with many here it's sacrilege to even consider anything beyond the OEM bracelet. I personally am open to change once in a while. For my 16600 SD I prefer an aftermarket bracelet and have it on wrist right now on a canvas strap. My 16613 Bluesy is also always on a vintage leather strap, that helps to tone down the two tone bling factor very nicely. My 41mm Sub mostly stays on the OEM bracelet, but the more tapered lugs do allow it to look better on a strap than the previous generation chunky monkey did.

22mm ammo strap

22mm seatbelt nato

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seems like with many here it's sacrilege to even consider anything beyond the OEM bracelet. I personally am open to change once in a while. For my 16600 SD I prefer an aftermarket bracelet and have it on wrist right now on a canvas strap. My 16613 Bluesy is also always on a vintage leather strap, that helps to tone down the two tone bling factor very nicely. My 41mm Sub mostly stays on the OEM bracelet, but the more tapered lugs do allow it to look better on a strap than the previous generation chunky monkey did.

22mm ammo strap
View attachment 15875970

22mm seatbelt nato
View attachment 15875971
Great combos Kirk!

I would normally hesitate to throw leather on a diver, but that ammo strap looks fantastic Panerai has been getting away with it for years so why not?

IDK why so many on here take issue with straps on Rolex?
I’m guessing it’s a brand thing, since so many other great manufacturers, such as Patek, and AP, crafters of some of the best bracelets in the world, also offer straps for the same sports models.
I guess its the herd mentality, since Rolex discourages changing of the bracelets

·
Registered
932 Posts
A Submariner deserves so much more than a NATO strap.

Heck, a Casio Duro deserves better than a NATO.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
IDK why so many on here take issue with straps on Rolex?
I’m guessing it’s a brand thing, since so many other great manufacturers, such as Patek, and AP, crafters of some of the best bracelets in the world, also offer straps for the same sports models.
I guess its the herd mentality, since Rolex discourages changing of the bracelets
It's people fetishizing the watch and the brand. I'm guessing a good number of them don't actually own one either.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
I think the “need” to wear a strap on watches means that the watch is in many cases too big for the person’s wrist...especially after seeing certain wrist-shots.

Or are we saying you don’t like the Rolex bracelet? I completely understand this because I’ve never wore my Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch on its OEM bracelet...a big clunky horrible mess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts