WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
No Date is always best!

Congratulations on your new Hamilton and wear it in good health!

Reactions: WatchNut22

·
Registered
14,911 Posts
Saw that earlier, very nice watch!!!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I'm restraining myself on this one. Really like the looks of it but I'm trying to consolidate. The one justification I might be able to make to myself is that I now need to visit areas for work in which militia groups operate, and have road checkpoints, and so if I am going to get taxed for a watch something a little more on the reasonable side would be good. Plus, the areas I'm talking about here were fought over by the Japanese and Allies in WW2, and so it's sort of a neat idea to wear a Khaki when I'm bumbling about there. Lovely looking thing either way.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Congratulations on your new watch - I do like this Hamilton but there are a few things I'm uneasy about which might be the same things people love about it ie the faux old lume, the lack of date and hand winding.

How does this compare with your big crown propilot?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Having trouble with the editing function (posting from work)

Was going to say has this Hamilton killed off your pro pilot big crown?

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Congratulations on your new watch - I do like this Hamilton but there are a few things I'm uneasy about which might be the same things people love about it ie the faux old lume, the lack of date and hand winding.

The lack of the date is the main appeal of this watch to me. To me the date is useless so I don’t buy watches with the date function. If you want a date on your Hamilton watch you can choose almost any other watch they make. Hand winding means the watch is likely a bit more robust since the auto winding system will never break (since it isn’t there). The lume is weak but so is Hamilton’s regular lume.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
Sounds like the older (still produced) version would be more your speed. Still a winder, but normal lume and date.

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I had the same fight with myself and bought one anyway. Ended up selling as it didn’t fill a big enough gap to keep a place in my small collection. I’ve got a soft spot for Khakis though, by my count it was my fourth.

I'm restraining myself on this one. Really like the looks of it but I'm trying to consolidate. The one justification I might be able to make to myself is that I now need to visit areas for work in which militia groups operate, and have road checkpoints, and so if I am going to get taxed for a watch something a little more on the reasonable side would be good. Plus, the areas I'm talking about here were fought over by the Japanese and Allies in WW2, and so it's sort of a neat idea to wear a Khaki when I'm bumbling about there. Lovely looking thing either way.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
As mentioned, the normal date version might interest you.

Normal-colored lume, date, same dimensions. The hand-winding (ETA 2804-2) is smooth, nostalgic, and fun. Mine does about +3 or +4 spd. I have it on a BluShark NATO at the moment (pictured). Great watch and quite a value. :)

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
Very nice, I'll have to keep a look out for one.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
Congrats OP.

The 2 new hand-winders are the best Khaki models in my view, and probably closest to the original WW2 field watch. Love the no-date but hate the faux vintage lume, I guess you can't have it all. Still, between the two I'd take the no-date any day of the week despite the lume.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sounds like the older (still produced) version would be more your speed. Still a winder, but normal lume and date.
As mentioned, the normal date version might interest you.

Thanks guys - I like the entire khaki range TBH but for one reason or another have not bought and kept one yet.

I actually bought and returned the khaki field auto 38mm twice ! First time was about 7 years ago - returned because I thought the crystal had too much reflection (ended up getting a Sarb 033) and second time about a year ago when I thought I was buying one with and eta 2824 and turned out to have the H10 movement - I wanted the higher beat eta.

I like both versions of this khaki mechanical even with my misgivings re lume and date however I have since bought this

2018-03-03 10.08.12.jpg

which has covered that niche for me - hence Im interested how the OP compares the two watches and how they fit in his collection as I know from earlier posts he also has the Oris

·
Premium Member
61,543 Posts
I’ve only got a couple of hand crankers and one of them is a Hamilton (not that one though) and I couldn’t be more pleased with my Khaki.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Like it!

·
Banned
3,438 Posts
I was just holding Hamilton up as an example the other day of the right way to do a reissue, at least in this instance. Don't add a date or make it 42mm like Longines seems to have a habit of doing.

Congrats OP.

The 2 new hand-winders are the best Khaki models in my view, and probably closest to the original WW2 field watch. Love the no-date but hate the faux vintage lume, I guess you can't have it all. Still, between the two I'd take the no-date any day of the week despite the lume.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts