WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Photos stolen shamelessly from Ariel Adams' blog.

Well Nomos is launching its first "high-end" watch, the Lambda (perhaps excluding the Wempe stuff they did). And it looks awesome.

As you can see, it's got a beautiful new in house calibre with an 84 hour power reserve. I just wish it had a date.

I basically had my wallet in hand to preorder this until I saw the price. I think ablogtowatch has it pegged at about $18000 USD.

So what do you guys think about it?

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I think it is a very nice looking watch. I believe that Nomos is one of those brands that either grabs you or it doesn't. Overall this watch is not that far removed from their other offerings in terms of dial aesthetics. It's a very uncluttered dial - the subdial, markers and hands almost revel in the open space afforded to them. I also like how the markers and hands are very finely drawn and crafted. It looks like what it is - a finely put together high end watch. (Just out of interest I wonder how easy this makes the dial to read in poor lighting though?)

All that said I think Nomos is moving into difficult territory with this particular watch. When I think of other slim and dressy alternatives in precious metal I consider the ALS Saxonia, the VC Patrimony and of course the Patek Caltrava. Some of these watches can be found at a competitive price to this Nomos if the used market is researched well enough. My intuition is that some die hard Nomos fans will go for the first really high end piece on offer from them, but a lot of WIS might well consider other offerings in that same price bracket, that offer similar overall looks, but with loftier providence?

Like I say - nice watch though. You wouldn't sneer if it was gifted to you would you?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
On evidence of these pictures, I would say Nomos is really struggling with their new offerings. Just as the ahoi was not up to par, these are not quite the halo products I expected from Nomos. Did someone say 18 grand?!

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Nice looking watch,a bit on the expensive side though..the 8 days handwound Pam 233 cost like 12-13k new(the list price is around 16k),and it has PR,date and GMT,another newer Pam 510 also has 8 days handwound movt and no date,but it cost around 7-8k,both watches are SS,in this context I know the watches style are different,but I'm talking about just the handwound with longer PR

I'm not sure about the other long PR handwound movt made by other brands,but being in that price spot means Nomos will have to compete against the bigger boys as stated above

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
Why they put sub sec dial so high up and make an awkward space at the bottom?
Me don't like, I am uncomfortable with dials spacing in this piece. First time I am not a fan.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I do like it (maybe not at that price...) but agree that they seem a little lost. Nomos has nailed the modern version of minimalist/Bauhaus and it's hard to figure out what to do as an encore. There are also a lot of expectations for the brand.

Maybe these are more limited showpieces rather that anchors for whole new lines.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I like Nomos' aesthetic, but I don't like the giant power reserve. That should be subtle, not bigger that one of the time keeping elements.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
These are beautiful pieces. But I find the Nomos Tangente and its derivatives much more appealing.

·
Moderator at Large
53,078 Posts
Nomos does not compete with Panerai but with other Glashütte manufacturers. In respect thereof NOMOS did very well.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
One of the few Nomos offerings that doesn't really do much for me, aesthetically. Not such a bad thing I guess, given the price.
Agree with every single word GlennO, so won't post anything to avoid the redundancy . . .

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The power reserve helps to bump the price up. But I think they are competing with established and revered companies at this price and should have come in at a lower price point to stimulate sales. Perhaps a 50hr pwr reserve and a $5K price drop. We will see how they do, but I am not optimistic for this line. I do think it is beautiful, but such a prominently displayed pwr reserve.

Reactions: mew88

·
Moderator at Large
53,078 Posts
What does NOMOS say ?

We have mastered the techniques that distinguish traditional Glashütte craftsmanship perfectly—and we can even do a bit more here and there. In our atelier, we make watches with a combination of a great deal of handicraft and a little high-tech: an approach in which we have staked all our ambition. To emphasize our own special quality standards, our watches bear the designation “Deutsche Uhrenwerke NOMOS Glashütte” (DUW, which means “German Watchmakers NOMOS Glashütte”) on their calibers. This is craftsmanship at its best: swan neck fine adjustment, fine sunbeam polishing, screwed gold chatons, angled edges, hand-engraved balance cock and twin mainspring barrels, giving a power reserve of three and a half days. The name “Deutsche Uhrenwerke NOMOS Glashütte” stands for this wide-ranging expertise in the art of fine watchmaking. The two calibers DUW 1001 and DUW 2002 are the first products to come from the new NOMOS atelier and the watchmakers around the Head of Design Engineering Mirko Heyne.

So there is more to be expected....

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Parallels have been drawn to the 1815 updown view from the back...

als 1815 mvmt.jpg

The dial reminds me of the new FPJ anniversary tourbillon...

FPJ_C2.jpg

The oversized power reserve reminds me of the oversized seconds subdials on Droz pieces -- unnecessary and unappealing.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lovely watch.. The movement is certainly eye catching, but at that price I expect the bridge to be nicely beveled and polished..

1 - 20 of 185 Posts