WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, Omega introduced a new mesh bracelet at Basel 2010. This one is based on the PloProf "sharkproof" with the 18 micro-position, ratcheting clasp.

Our favorite AD has been trying to order these but New Jersey has no reference number for it in the computer. NJ told him to get a reference number and call back.

Does anyone out there have the reference number?

Fr. John†

· Registered
693 Posts
Can't help you with the reference #, but one day I just have to own a 2255.80 on that bracelet. I LOVE the sharkproof style, it looks great!

· Registered
1,693 Posts
Ive heard that several times before for that kind of bracelet. The most recent was when a watchmaker referred to the similar style bracelet on a breitling superocean as a "grains of rice bracelet".
Doxa bracelets are also known as "beads of rice." Although the modern incarnation are faux beads.

· Registered
266 Posts
As you know, Omega introduced a new mesh bracelet at Basel 2010. This one is based on the PloProf "sharkproof" with the 18 micro-position, ratcheting clasp.

Our favorite AD has been trying to order these but New Jersey has no reference number for it in the computer. NJ told him to get a reference number and call back.

Does anyone out there have the reference number?

Fr. John†
I, too, have been contacting the FAD for the past couple of months inquiring about the same. Only time will tell, and we can eventually get a ref number to start ordering! I'm anxiously awaiting to change my rubber strap to the mesh |>

· Banned
243 Posts
FR. John,
I think you had this bracelet with the Ploprof, right? I'm considering getting an Omega mesh very shortly but I'll need an extension on it and am a bit skeptical about the looks. Should I wait for this band to become available or just go with the vintage one? I prefer the looks of this one but am not sure which one is better for my 8.5" wrist.
Thanks.
Josh.

· Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I like that they are offering us more options, in terms of bracelets and such. Two things I like better on the original mesh bracelet, though. First, I dislike having the tube at the ends. I know Breitling does this too. I don't like how they look. To me, they look a bit cheap. Secondly, I really dislike how the first "links" to come off the tubes are cut in half. They look so very fake. On the original bracelet, they are actual chain links, which make the bracelet feel sixty three times more purposeful and purpose-built, IMO. This detail on the new version makes the new bracelet feel like a fashion piece. I'm sure the clasp is pretty cool, though....

· Registered
7,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMO there are pluses and minuses to the new mesh. The big pluses are the micro-adjustments allowing resizing "on the fly" and the deployant clasp. The "seat-belt" clasp on the original mesh can be tricky and has been known to fail.

The negatives of the new mesh as I see it are the end pieces and the lack of the "industrial strength" links of the original. (On the other hand, many dislike the lack of end pieces with the original.)

Another plus of the new mesh is that the need for the expansion piece will not be required. The new mesh can be shortened and lengthened by the addition and subtraction of links.

Typically, Omega bracelets are designed for wrists up to 8" so additional links may be required for larger wrists.

Obviously, the new mesh, or any mesh, will not suit everyone.

Fr. John†

· Registered
543 Posts
I'm not a fan of the mesh itself, (looks a bit too 'tight'), or the end tubes, however the clasp sounds like it will be a winner. Now I just have to see what size the clasp is to see if my 'old style' mesh pieces can be used with it...

Ash

· Banned
4,268 Posts
I just got off the phone with Orlando, at the Omega Boutique in NYC. He knew nothing about the new bracelet, except the 24mm one for the Plofrof. He will, however, research it, and get back to me by tomorrow, end of business. Here's hoping for some answers.

;-) KAT

· Registered
1,662 Posts
I may be in the minority here but I think those end pieces look like :-x..... Now if they had found a way to make an "integrated" mesh where there is no gaps on the lugs, I would order one in a heartbeat. I just sold my 20mm (old style) mesh that I had bought for my PO because when I put it on the watch, I did not like the look at all. I think this ones end pieces look like those cheap looking mesh bracelets you can find on one of the other watch forums sales corner...which have never impressed me on any watch I've seen one on... Anyway, to each their own but IMO this is just not a good looking bracelet for the PO. Just my .02.

· Registered
471 Posts
I'm anxious for POs with these to start hitting ADs. I want to try one on. I'm not a fan of the look in pictures, but maybe the real thing will sway me. I hear everyone praise the mesh for comfort, though, and combined with the ratcheting clasp it might be worth checking out...

· Registered
6,443 Posts
Sorry to see this, major fumble IMO.
For anyone wanting end pieces looking like that there has been a multitude of alternatives around for a long time, Omegas USP has always been the end link (and the thickness compared to some, but not all, alternatives).

/Stefan

· Registered
522 Posts
I may be in the minority here but I think those end pieces look like :-x..... Now if they had found a way to make an "integrated" mesh where there is no gaps on the lugs, I would order one in a heartbeat. I just sold my 20mm (old style) mesh that I had bought for my PO because when I put it on the watch, I did not like the look at all. I think this ones end pieces look like those cheap looking mesh bracelets you can find on one of the other watch forums sales corner...which have never impressed me on any watch I've seen one on... Anyway, to each their own but IMO this is just not a good looking bracelet for the PO. Just my .02.
I agree, though I am only going by the picture. I think the gaps between the mesh and the case doesnt look good at all.. Buts thats just my opinion..

· Registered
531 Posts
big fan of the pix yah.

this arvo, i contacted the local omega boutique here in melbourne AU, and they say it is now available!

grounding thing is, the quoted price for the 20mm new omega "shark proof" mesh is au$693, plus ploprof clasp an extra au$300. i think this price is in the ballpark of "please-make-me-poor" and ermmm... "if-youre-not-rich-dont-bother" price!

sold seperately?! possibly a misunderstanding?

i forgot to ask for a serial number because i was too busy picking up my jaw off the floor.

but gees, what a sexy bracelet.

· Registered
6,634 Posts
First, I dislike having the tube at the ends. I don't like how they look. To me, they look a bit cheap. ..... This detail on the new version makes the new bracelet feel like a fashion piece. ...
|>agree. Anyone have any idea how much these -or the original mesh- range in price?

And also-are there any half decent after market look-alike mesh bracelets out there worth putting on a PO? if so-any direction as to where I could go to look at mesh bracelets?
Thnx

--just found this(not sure if this is the mesh in op's post:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-20mm-Omega...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c559c64fa

· Premium Member
8,946 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
And also-are there any half decent after market look-alike mesh bracelets out there worth putting on a PO? if so-any direction as to where I could go to look at mesh bracelets?
I've got one of these (in 20mm) on the way:
http://cgi.ebay.com/22mm-SHARK-MESH-BRACELET-w-links-OMEGA-ends-/120593972735?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item1c13f5fdff
http://cgi.ebay.com/22mm-SHARK-MESH-BRACELET-no-links-w-OMEGA-ENDS-/110550810814?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=item19bd5780be
No relationship to seller, but have heard good things about this mesh. Some more pics here:
http://www.christophergmoy.com/Horology/Willj-Bracelets-and-Straps

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.