WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I have sort of had a desire for the SKX, but I never pulled the trigger as it always had something lacking for me. Don't ask me what as you will get 90% irrelevance, so it just is not worth it! But the new versions are okish but for the moment over priced for something that is not a tool watch.

So thanks to a recommendation or two here I bought one of these a while back as this is what I think the replacement watch for the SKX should have been what Seiko should have - could have made :giggle: YMMV, but for around £120 for this watch, it hacks is 200m, has a screw down crown, the bracelet is comfortable and I am very Happy with it.

View attachment 15325343 Orient Mako II Blue Dial, Pepsi Bezel,

Best Regards,
Jim
I really need to try an Orient soon. It seems like they're a very good alternative to Seiko.

The SKX was a true icon of a tool diver and the poor little 5KX had a very big pair of boots to try and fill. It's not succeeded but is a good looking watch doing its best.
I think that sums up the 5KX in a nutshell! :LOL:

Since I keep defending the 5KX, I decided to put my money where my mouth is and pick one up. I already liked it from a distance, but I was still pleasantly surprised when I received it. Pictures don't do it justice, it looks and feels very nice in person.

I had an Orient Mako, and it was a great value, but the finishing/overall build quality wasn't as good in my opinion. I suppose it's a matter of preference whether it's worth the price difference.

As everyone knows, Seiko have discontinued the SKX, and replaced it with a new Seiko 5 Sports line.
Nice review but personally, I have zero interest in this watch. Furthermore, it is one more example of Seiko's changing product and marketing strategy.

We have witnessed over the last 3-4 years, instances where Seiko has discontinued extremely successful and revered watches, only to be replaced with "new and improved" lines that are markedly inferior and yet priced higher.

Noticed this first in 2016 when the 2nd Gen Monster (SRP3XX) was discontinued, selling price at the time hovered around $200. Seiko then introduced the new updated Turtles but starting price was around $250 and went up depending upon bracelet and dial. Don't get me wrong, I like the Turtles very much, still own three, but given the difference in tooling and overall quality, the Turtle comes up severely lacking. My opinion was Seiko killed the Monster (yes, could be argued it freed up manufacturing capability) in order not to have the Turtle compete against it. Put it another way, going back, you could buy a Monster for $200 (on a bracelet) or a Turtle on rubber strap for $250...hmmmm? Current selling prices for used Gen 2 confirms what the market thinks. Oh, yes. There was a brief Gen 3 of sorts but it went nowhere. Can't recall the model number but it had a sapphire crystal and may have upgraded to to the 6R15 movement...same dial, case, bracelet, hands...but the street price was well over $400. Most recently, Seiko released a new Monster that is laughable (may be insulting)...no interest in that watch either.

2nd example is the discontinued SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, etc. which was replaced with the "Presage" line. Don't get me wrong, the Presage are nice watches but not even close to being in the same league as the SARB's, inferior case work, bracelet, movement, etc., yet the Presage prices are roughly the same or sometimes higher. The different "Cocktail" Presage watches are the worst examples. Don't get me wrong, these are attractive watches but are so overpriced for what is delivered.

Last example is the subject of this review. The SK5 just doesn't cut it. It took me awhile to appreciate what a great watch the SKX is but once I "got" it, it easy to understand why it has such a following. About the only thing that needed improvement was the 7S26 movement, but to be candid, that is such a minor nit in the whole scheme of things. Problem for Seiko was the public's expectation that it was a sub $200 watch, so Seiko kills it and reintroduces a "new improved" model that is definitely inferior but sell at the same price or higher.

A couple of years ago, I came to the realization that I was a die hard Seiko Fan Boy. I own more Seikos than any other brand....divers, sports and dress watches. I am still a SFB but not sure for how much longer.

Last example is the subject of this review. The SK5 just doesn't cut it. It took me awhile to appreciate what a great watch the SKX is but once I "got" it, it easy to understand why it has such a following. About the only thing that needed improvement was the 7S26 movement, but to be candid, that is such a minor nit in the whole scheme of things. Problem for Seiko was the public's expectation that it was a sub $200 watch, so Seiko kills it and reintroduces a "new improved" model that is definitely inferior but sell at the same price or higher.

A couple of years ago, I came to the realization that I was a die hard Seiko Fan Boy. I own more Seikos than any other brand....divers, sports and dress watches. I am still a SFB but not sure for how much longer.
The 5KX doesn't cut it how? Inferior how? Because it doesn't have a screw down crown? It's 'diver' snobbery which is hilarious because you're not diving with either one. You say the only thing that needed improvement was the movement. I'd argue the 5KX is exactly that. SKX owners aren't doing ANYTHING with it that the 5KX watches can't do. The SKX is popular because it's cheap and easy to mod, not because it's some awesome thing that you 'get'.

Seiko got tired of making a budget diver with an outdated movement. You may not like that they killed the SKX but I guarantee people smarter than you and I looked at the CBA and made the right call. They know what they're doing.

I have over 40 Seiko from GS on down to Seiko 5's and think the SRPD watches are great. I didn't at first because of all the sourpuss response to them here but it's total and absolute BS. I just bought SRPD61 (gunmetal) and SRPD65 (green) last week. For all practical purposes they are SKX with a better movement.

Oh and those Gen 3 Monsters with 6R15 movements and priced over $400 - Seiko sold them all and they're commanding nearly double that now on the used market. Surprised a SFB doesn't know that.

So, in a nutshell; it is a Seiko 5 disguised as a Diver but for the premium price.
Baby Monsters seem to be a better deal IMHO. Plenty available cheaper than the S.

There is a green and burgundy dial that are pretty slick though.

Ice Monster
Ice Monster by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Agreed that it lost some it's great utility, but I still love it. It's my new daily-beater. Bought one on sale at Macy's for $177. Ditched the black NATO for a Strapcode Oyster and I'm loving it.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

Agreed that it lost some it's great utility, but I still love it. It's my new daily-beater. Bought one on sale at Macy's for $177. Ditched the black NATO for a Strapcode Oyster and I'm loving it.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk
How well does the strapcode bracelet fit? My understanding is that it requires curved springbars and I've never used those so I'm not sure how secure it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How well does the strapcode bracelet fit? My understanding is that it requires curved springbars and I've never used those so I'm not sure how secure it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It fits great. There are many micro-adjustments (6, I think) so that you can fine-tune it. Yes, it requires curved spring-bars because it's closer to the case. If you're doing the work yourself, you can pick up the curved bars from Strapcode, too. It's pretty secure and I wear it daily. I very satisfied with it.

As everyone knows, Seiko have discontinued the SKX, and replaced it with a new Seiko 5 Sports line.

Despite the aesthetic similarities the new 5KX is not the serious tool watch that the SKX was. It lacks a screw down crown, bezel pip, and ISO rated water resistance.

However, I think that the 5KX is still a good watch. These are readily available for under £200, and at that price I think the specs are decent. I wouldn't pay the full price though. The top RRP is £300 and in that range there's a lot of better choices.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Below is my video review of the 5KX. I hope you enjoy it!
What SRPD model is this one 51 or 87?
I don't know if model 51 is the same color as model 87. Anyone able to help, confirm ?

Love wearing my SRPD53. It may not be a 'real' diver, but for half the price of my Samurai and baby Tuna, I think I can live without a screw down crown and 100 meter less water resistance. The fact that this watch looks and wears great on my wrist doesn't hurt either.
Post some wrist shots please. I have one, the 51k2 model but it's on a nylon, I wanted to see some " real world " wrist shots of a 5kx on a bracelet. Thanks.

Post some wrist shots please. I have one, the 51k2 model but it's on a nylon, I wanted to see some " real world " wrist shots of a 5kx on a bracelet. Thanks.

6.25 inch wrist and not a flattering pic that makes the watch look bigger on my wrists than it actually is. Don't have a better pic due to the whole pandemic situation. Half of my watches are in a different state where I work while I'm working from home.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.