WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The new Seiko 5KX is no SKX! But it's still a decent watch | Hands On Review

9K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Jeff Pesos 
#1 · (Edited)
As everyone knows, Seiko have discontinued the SKX, and replaced it with a new Seiko 5 Sports line.

Despite the aesthetic similarities the new 5KX is not the serious tool watch that the SKX was. It lacks a screw down crown, bezel pip, and ISO rated water resistance.

However, I think that the 5KX is still a good watch. These are readily available for under £200, and at that price I think the specs are decent. I wouldn't pay the full price though. The top RRP is £300 and in that range there's a lot of better choices.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Below is my video review of the 5KX. I hope you enjoy it!

#2 · (Edited)
As everyone knows, Seiko have discontinued the SKX, and replaced it with a new Seiko 5 Sports line.

Despite the aesthetic similarities the new 5KX is not the serious tool watch that the SKX was. It lacks a screw down crown, bezel pip, and ISO rated water resistance.

However, I think that the 5KX is still a good watch. These are readily available for under £200, and at that price I think the specs are decent. I wouldn't pay the full price though. The top RRP is £300 and in that range there's a lot of better choices.

Anyway, what does everyone else think?

Your picture didn't show up on tapa. But I like mine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#12 ·
The 5KX is emblematic of why my affection for Seiko has largely evaporated over the past year or so. They replaced a serious watch with a fashion/sport watch that is less capable in several areas and are charging as much or more for it?

Cancelling watches like the SKX00x and Alpinest and replacing them with either less capable 5 Sports or more expensive Prospex versions reeks of a company that wants to bifurcate its product line (not including Grand Seiko in this) into either cheaper (although still more expensive than what came before) lines like 5 Sports or more expensive as with Prospex with little middle ground.

I have little experience in running multi-billion dollar enterprises so my opinion is largely worth what you paid for it but Seiko should have upgraded/updated the notoriously average movements in the SKX00x watches and otherwise left them alone. They were iconic for a reason. And they sold.

It's funny -- I took a flyer on a Pagani watch the other week just to see what one actually gets and for a price far less than this 5KX I also get a Seiko movement, probably a bracelet no worse than the grim examples provided by Seiko, an actual sapphire crystal instead of that awful Hardlex and the same water resistance. I can't judge other metrics until I actually have receipt of the watch but I do believe that I will be more satisfied by the Pagani than by what Seiko is trying to sell me.

#13 ·
I think the unfortunate reality is that from a business perspective WIS types probably make up a tiny portion of seiko's total sales.

IMO the turtle is the better candidate for the replacement as the entry level tool watch. The 5KX is more of a replacement for the previous 5 sports line, and in that regard you're paying more of an upgraded movement and build quality (my Sea Urchin looked and felt a lot cheaper than the 5KX). The 5KX prices are starting to drop and will hopefully be sub $200 fairly soon. My local Macy's had them for $170 recently.

#14 ·
I think you make an excellent point about where Seiko are taking their products. Like you, my desire to buy a new model is evaporating.

Seiko seem determined to raise prices quite steeply whilst only offering minor improvements. I think a lot of the new Prospex stuff is pretty overpriced for what they are.

However, as Gav says, I think the prices on these 5KX are quickly dropping. Here in the UK Amazon are offering them for around £180.

#17 ·
I have sort of had a desire for the SKX, but I never pulled the trigger as it always had something lacking for me. Don't ask me what as you will get 90% irrelevance, so it just is not worth it! But the new versions are okish but for the moment over priced for something that is not a tool watch.

So thanks to a recommendation or two here I bought one of these a while back as this is what I think the replacement watch for the SKX should have been what Seiko should have - could have made :giggle: YMMV, but for around £120 for this watch, it hacks is 200m, has a screw down crown, the bracelet is comfortable and I am very Happy with it.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Orient Mako II Blue Dial, Pepsi Bezel,

Best Regards,
Jim

#21 ·
I have sort of had a desire for the SKX, but I never pulled the trigger as it always had something lacking for me. Don't ask me what as you will get 90% irrelevance, so it just is not worth it! But the new versions are okish but for the moment over priced for something that is not a tool watch.

So thanks to a recommendation or two here I bought one of these a while back as this is what I think the replacement watch for the SKX should have been what Seiko should have - could have made :giggle: YMMV, but for around £120 for this watch, it hacks is 200m, has a screw down crown, the bracelet is comfortable and I am very Happy with it.

View attachment 15325343 Orient Mako II Blue Dial, Pepsi Bezel,

Best Regards,
Jim
I really need to try an Orient soon. It seems like they're a very good alternative to Seiko.

The SKX was a true icon of a tool diver and the poor little 5KX had a very big pair of boots to try and fill. It's not succeeded but is a good looking watch doing its best.
I think that sums up the 5KX in a nutshell! :LOL:

#20 ·
The SKX was a true icon of a tool diver and the poor little 5KX had a very big pair of boots to try and fill. It's not succeeded but is a good looking watch doing its best.
So true.

Say what you will about the specs of the 5KX (or, hell, the SKX) - the fact remains that the 7002/SKX case shape is an icon of Seiko's design legacy. Seiko can (and, I assume, will) continue to use it in the manner it suspects will make it the most money. That said, it is something to be celebrated, without specific regard to the current catalog.

Now, if they will just re-release it as a loss-leader, with modern specs and an ISO rating, all for under $200, we will ALL be able to (happily) crawl back under our bridges. ;)

#23 ·
Since I keep defending the 5KX, I decided to put my money where my mouth is and pick one up. I already liked it from a distance, but I was still pleasantly surprised when I received it. Pictures don't do it justice, it looks and feels very nice in person.

I had an Orient Mako, and it was a great value, but the finishing/overall build quality wasn't as good in my opinion. I suppose it's a matter of preference whether it's worth the price difference.

#24 ·
Nice review but personally, I have zero interest in this watch. Furthermore, it is one more example of Seiko's changing product and marketing strategy.

We have witnessed over the last 3-4 years, instances where Seiko has discontinued extremely successful and revered watches, only to be replaced with "new and improved" lines that are markedly inferior and yet priced higher.

Noticed this first in 2016 when the 2nd Gen Monster (SRP3XX) was discontinued, selling price at the time hovered around $200. Seiko then introduced the new updated Turtles but starting price was around $250 and went up depending upon bracelet and dial. Don't get me wrong, I like the Turtles very much, still own three, but given the difference in tooling and overall quality, the Turtle comes up severely lacking. My opinion was Seiko killed the Monster (yes, could be argued it freed up manufacturing capability) in order not to have the Turtle compete against it. Put it another way, going back, you could buy a Monster for $200 (on a bracelet) or a Turtle on rubber strap for $250...hmmmm? Current selling prices for used Gen 2 confirms what the market thinks. Oh, yes. There was a brief Gen 3 of sorts but it went nowhere. Can't recall the model number but it had a sapphire crystal and may have upgraded to to the 6R15 movement...same dial, case, bracelet, hands...but the street price was well over $400. Most recently, Seiko released a new Monster that is laughable (may be insulting)...no interest in that watch either.

2nd example is the discontinued SARB017, SARB033, SARB035, etc. which was replaced with the "Presage" line. Don't get me wrong, the Presage are nice watches but not even close to being in the same league as the SARB's, inferior case work, bracelet, movement, etc., yet the Presage prices are roughly the same or sometimes higher. The different "Cocktail" Presage watches are the worst examples. Don't get me wrong, these are attractive watches but are so overpriced for what is delivered.

Last example is the subject of this review. The SK5 just doesn't cut it. It took me awhile to appreciate what a great watch the SKX is but once I "got" it, it easy to understand why it has such a following. About the only thing that needed improvement was the 7S26 movement, but to be candid, that is such a minor nit in the whole scheme of things. Problem for Seiko was the public's expectation that it was a sub $200 watch, so Seiko kills it and reintroduces a "new improved" model that is definitely inferior but sell at the same price or higher.

A couple of years ago, I came to the realization that I was a die hard Seiko Fan Boy. I own more Seikos than any other brand....divers, sports and dress watches. I am still a SFB but not sure for how much longer.

#25 · (Edited)
Last example is the subject of this review. The SK5 just doesn't cut it. It took me awhile to appreciate what a great watch the SKX is but once I "got" it, it easy to understand why it has such a following. About the only thing that needed improvement was the 7S26 movement, but to be candid, that is such a minor nit in the whole scheme of things. Problem for Seiko was the public's expectation that it was a sub $200 watch, so Seiko kills it and reintroduces a "new improved" model that is definitely inferior but sell at the same price or higher.

A couple of years ago, I came to the realization that I was a die hard Seiko Fan Boy. I own more Seikos than any other brand....divers, sports and dress watches. I am still a SFB but not sure for how much longer.
The 5KX doesn't cut it how? Inferior how? Because it doesn't have a screw down crown? It's 'diver' snobbery which is hilarious because you're not diving with either one. You say the only thing that needed improvement was the movement. I'd argue the 5KX is exactly that. SKX owners aren't doing ANYTHING with it that the 5KX watches can't do. The SKX is popular because it's cheap and easy to mod, not because it's some awesome thing that you 'get'.

Seiko got tired of making a budget diver with an outdated movement. You may not like that they killed the SKX but I guarantee people smarter than you and I looked at the CBA and made the right call. They know what they're doing.

I have over 40 Seiko from GS on down to Seiko 5's and think the SRPD watches are great. I didn't at first because of all the sourpuss response to them here but it's total and absolute BS. I just bought SRPD61 (gunmetal) and SRPD65 (green) last week. For all practical purposes they are SKX with a better movement.

Oh and those Gen 3 Monsters with 6R15 movements and priced over $400 - Seiko sold them all and they're commanding nearly double that now on the used market. Surprised a SFB doesn't know that.

#27 · (Edited)
So, in a nutshell; it is a Seiko 5 disguised as a Diver but for the premium price.
Baby Monsters seem to be a better deal IMHO. Plenty available cheaper than the S.

There is a green and burgundy dial that are pretty slick though.

Ice Monster
Ice Monster by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

#28 ·
Agreed that it lost some it's great utility, but I still love it. It's my new daily-beater. Bought one on sale at Macy's for $177. Ditched the black NATO for a Strapcode Oyster and I'm loving it.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.