WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am noticing that some watches that look great by day, often look very unremarkable at night. And the other way around, a fairly plain watch sometimes looks great at night, specifically in a pub/club environment where there are lots of colored lights to reflect off surfaces, hands and dial markers, lume or NATOs to light up under black light, etc.

Problem is I can't really put my finger on it to say with any kind of certainty which watches will actually stand out at night. It's also fairly random which types of lume respond to blacklight and which don't

I was a little disappointed for example with the way a SKX007 looks at night; the matte charcoal dial and lack of chrome markers or accents on the dial likely causes that. (The Jubilee bracelet with alternating brushed and polished surfaces does work, however.)

Does anyone have experience with this, or do you have a particular watch that you like when going out at night?

It seems to me that a good Night watch would have the following:

- Sapphire or Hardlex crystal. (And definitely not plasticky looking mineral.)
- Case with alternating polished and brushed surfaces, preferably surfaces in multiple angled directions.
- Black/dark dial, glossy or metallic is better.
- Polished applied markers on at least some of the hours. Brand/logo also metal, not painted on.
- Lume that responds to blacklight, but I really don't know which type(s).
- Bracelet or bright colored NATO. Definitely not leather or rubber. Darth-Vader material plastic (like on some G-Shocks) also an option.

Thoughts? Any examples or recommendations? Pictures welcome. ;)

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
It must be associated with lume because I think my Seikos (great lume BTW) tend to look better at night than the rest of the mob.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
I think most casual and dress watches look the best at night vs tool watches because they have more shiny trim to catch the light.

My SNKK79 looks really cool at night because the little pips of lume look cool and the chrome bits in the dial pick up any light.
IMG_20150401_104339_479.jpg

My new Armitron is a Diver "style", not really a tool watch so it has some bling and looks good at night, especially on the shark mesh.
IMG_20150505_074211_854.jpg

But a Submariner homage is boring looking at night.
IMG_20150507_084928_988.jpg

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Right, though there are exceptions. ;)

View attachment 3983402
The case is shiny yes, but the dial does not have the chrome to pick up the light you were talking about (hands do though). I never thought about Russian watches because I just dont like how they are built. I like the looks of them (like yours) just fine. Remember my opinion is my own and in no way should anybody find it insulting to their Russian mother, father, hamster or llama. :)

Reactions: hantms

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Seiko Cocktail Time. All those facets on the dial... oh yeah.
P8300083_zps07d721db.jpg E0C8008B-D1F6-4ED0-86FF-DB5C00948EBA_zpslx6qikyz.jpg E2177CEA-8E47-4C9B-B0A9-F360C2312094_zpskfcopdqv.jpg 34DC6095-2B18-4A2B-BEE7-D7D4FD3D72F5_zpshu3l2boq.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Seiko Cocktail Time. All those facets on the dial... oh yeah.
Myeah... I think I still prefer black dials though. Had to work really hard at getting these pictures below. Also the stock leather strap doesn't really work.

SARB065 Nigtht 2.JPG

SARB065 Nigtht 0.JPG

SARB065 Nigtht 3.JPG

Maybe on a shiny Milanese mesh.

I would have higher hopes for the newer Brightz SDGM003 in black, with a similar dial pattern. Also Sapphire crystal so less likely to scratch it up like with the exposed domed hardlex in the Cocktail Time. (Pics below not mine)

Anyway, 'higher hopes' on what it would look like at night, but wouldn't splurge the $600 or whatever to take the gamble. ;) *Then again it's perhaps the closest you can get to Grand Seiko without actually buying a Grand Seiko..)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know from first hand experience what tritium tube watches would look like in such an environment? Would lume be bright enough to be noticeable in a dimly lighted room in the evening? (Because Seiko / SKX007 lume is not)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Same picture but with the beater.. which is actually more dramatic at night. Darker black / glossier dial, some applied chromed markers, metal ring around the dial and more angles on the case.

SNKM77 Reflection.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally found a proper dose of blacklight.

And noticed that the day wheel lights up, but the date wheel doesn't.. Weird.

SKX007 Blacklight.JPG

·
Vendor
27,686 Posts
If anyone could identify John Snow's watch from this picture, I think that would perfect watch to wear after taking the black:

You know nothing, Ace McLoud...

Reactions: blackdot
1 - 18 of 18 Posts