WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1219 Posts

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the back of my mind I always think "this is a Casio but it's not a Gshock" when I post an Oceanus in F17. I suppose I could post them in the public forum but honestly I hardly ever go there and I feel that f17 is probably the best forum for Casio fans. I know people post other watches besides G's in the WRUW threads and in the "show your latest G" thread, but I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Oceanus, a place where we can have more in depth reviews and posts specific to Oceanus. This way, if someone isn't a fan they can just skip over it, and if someone is looking for info on Oceanus it's easier to find.

I have recently fell in love with the Oceanus brand and it's what I spend the majority of my time lately researching and hunting. It's not always easy because Casio pulled the Oceanus brand out of the US years ago and much of the info out there requires translation. It's not that I don't still love Gs, but I appreciate other Casios too, Protreks, Edifice, Lineage, etc. I'l start off the thread with my latest purchase, the OCW S1000BJ from 2007. There is another S1000J that has a silver bezel as well. It's an early member of the Manta line, and at the time was meant as a dressier Oceanus. I love the hands on it. That might explain why it's only 5 bar. Most modern Oceanus are 10bar, some of the older models were 20bar. I don't really swim much, and I work in an office so 5 bar will do. At the time it was supposedly the worlds thinnest solar chronograph. It was quite pricey back then too at about a grand. I just won the bid on it today so these pics are from other sites. The first pic is from the auction:

5.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Here's a review from watchreport: https://www.watchreport.com/review-of-the-oceanus-ocw-s1000-manta/

And here's some more info from some other Japanese site translated:

The latest Oceanus Manta, attempts to combine a multifunction watch with a dress watch. Main features is the thickness and weight, 10.2 mm and weighs in at only 85 g. It’s a miracle of modern electronics that they were able to miniaturize all that functionality into such a tiny package. With a titanium carbide coating and sapphire glass, makes it virtually scratch resistant.

* Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
* Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
* Auto receive function (6 times per day)
* Manual receive function
* Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
* Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
* Tough Solar Power
* 5 bar Water Resistant
* World Time
* 29 times zones (27 cities)
* 1/20 second chronograph
* Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
* Accuracy: +/-20 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
* Power reserve of 24 months at full charge
* Power Saving Function
* Diameter 42.2 mm
* Thickness 10.2 mm
* Weight 85 g
* Retail Price OCW-S1000J-1AJF ¥ 105,000.00
* Retail Price OCW-S1000BJ-1AJF ¥ 115,500.00

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
I always enjoy seeing when others' post their Oceanus watches in various threads. This thread is most certainly welcome, especially for folks like myself who don't know much about these watches.

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Great thread, Fergfour! :-! Here's a pic of my only Oceanus. (a fact which, no doubt, will one day change.... :-d:-d Where there is one, there will one day be two....) :-d

OCW-T2610H-7AJF

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i vote making this a Sticky.
how about an Edifice dedicated tread too?
and for Rotoslav,,,,"other"
LOL. Let's face it, we see all the Casio brands in F17 and personally I like that because the only other thread I look at is the Digital ABC. Oceanus doesn't really fall into that territory either so I figured F17 was the best fit.
I've noticed a small "wave" making it's way through F17 lately. Harald, James, T4P, Kub, others. Makes sense to have a centralized place where you know you can get answers and find info. Or, if you're just in the mood to browse. To me it's easier than doing a search and getting a a ton of posts spread across multiple threads. I have a handful of Oceanus I'll be posting here in the future anyway. I'd love to see others, I know you're out there...

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I was waiting for you to start this thread, Ferg. This line definitely deserves it. I read that Casio designed the Oceanus line to be sporty dress watches, using high grade materials and incorporating their most advanced technology, which explains how lightweight and thin most of these pieces are. Last March I picked up a near-mint, pre-owned OCW-G1000B-1AJF from a seller in Japan as a way of testing the waters since I was new to the line, and as you mentioned, there isn't much English-language material available about it. I work long hours in an office environment, and I've been very pleased with the fact that when I wear this one, I forget I have it on, which isn't something I can say about other high-end Casios like the MR-G and Pro Trek Manaslu, which I love equally but are built according to slightly different principles (namely shock resist and outdoor use).

Titanium with DLC coating, sapphire crystal, tough solar, MB6 and GPS sync, this thing packs a punch in its build quality, technology and fit & finish. Like many other Oshis, the metallic bits on the dial (namely the hands and indices) are tinted in very subtle bluish-green highlights, so when the light bounces off the dial, it reflects off the AR-coating of the crystal and makes the whole dial glow in an aqua-colored resplendence. Very special, which is what you'd expect when you dish out the extra dough for pieces like this.

IMAG8841.jpg

IMAG8835.jpg

IMAG8831.jpg

IMAG0488.jpg

IMAG0482.jpg

In any case, I am now 110% sold on the line, so have pushed the button on my second Oshi, which is the OCW-G2000-1AJF that harald-hans and James142 already own. Should arrive from Japan later this week or early next. Looking forward to sharing photos and impressions on this thread. |>

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was waiting for you to start this thread, Ferg. This line definitely deserves it. I read that Casio designed the Oceanus line to be sporty dress watches, using high grade materials and incorporating their most advanced technology, which explains how lightweight and thin most of these pieces are. Last March I picked up a near-mint, pre-owned OCW-G1000B-1AJF from a seller in Japan as a way of testing the waters since I was new to the line, and as you mentioned, there isn't much English-language material available about it. I work long hours in an office environment, and I've been very pleased with the fact that when I wear this one, I forget I have it on, which isn't something I can say about other high-end Casios like the MR-G and Pro Trek Manaslu, which I love equally but are built according to slightly different principles (namely shock resist and outdoor use).

Titanium with DLC coating, sapphire crystal, tough solar, MB6 and GPS sync, this thing packs a punch in its build quality, technology and fit & finish. Like many other Oshis, the metallic bits on the dial (namely the hands and indices) are tinted in very subtle bluish-green highlights, so when the light bounces off the dial, it reflects off the AR-coating of the crystal and makes the whole dial glow in an aqua-colored resplendence. Very special, which is what you'd expect when you dish out the extra dough for pieces like this.

In any case, I am now 110% sold on the line, so have pushed the button on my second Oshi, which is the OCW-G2000-1AJF that harald-hans and James142 already own. Should arrive from Japan later this week or early next. Looking forward to sharing photos and impressions on this thread. |>
Your enthusiasm for the line played a part in my interest kubr1ck. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you lol. Good news about the G2000! Stunning.
p.s. I like that little airplane on the G1000 :)

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Your enthusiasm for the line played a part in my interest kubr1ck. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you lol. Good news about the G2000! Stunning.
p.s. I like that little airplane on the G1000 :)
I knew you'd take things to the next level, man. I'm a Casio enthusiast, but I consider you one of the few real collectors on here, making a science out of it. Looking forward to your posts on this thread. :-!

p.s. that airplane denotes airplane mode, which is kind of hilarious. :-d

·
Registered
373 Posts
aqua-colored resplendence
So good Kubrick, some serious prose there. My favorite aspect of the Oceanus line is the distinctive blue used in their design. Would love a OCW-P1000B one day...sigh...such a nice blue rotating bezel...

I snuck in the back door with my scruffy pawnshop find, but there is a bit of blue in there. Currently trying to figure out a replacement band.

OCW-M700TBJ
Last model sold in NA, and AFAIK the only one with tide information.(edit: similar OCW-M7000 also has tide, plus tachymeter)
oshi.jpg
20180711_153924.jpg

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
So good Kubrick, some serious prose there. My favorite aspect of the Oceanus line is the distinctive blue used in their design. Would love a OCW-P1000B one day...sigh...such a nice blue rotating bezel...

I snuck in the back door with my scruffy pawnshop find, but there is a bit of blue in there. Currently trying to figure out a replacement band.

OCW-M700TBJ
Last model sold in NA, and AFAIK the only one with tide information.(edit: similar OCW-M7000 also has tide, plus tachymeter)
View attachment 13367163
This was the find of the year as far as I'm concerned. I hope you can locate a band for it because that dial is a beauty. I love busy dials that somehow don't look all that busy because they are so well designed and laid out. |>

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
The current line-up of Oceanus timepieces: https://oceanus.casio.jp/collection/

The site's in Japanese, but if you're on Chrome, just right-click and Google translate baby!

It should be noted that there is an ocean of older pieces (see what I did there?) available on the pre-owned market that can be tracked down on eBay, many of them fascinating and exquisitely beautiful (as Ferg well knows!). Take for example this Oceanus Manta OCW-S1350PC-1AJR, limited to 300 pieces worldwide. It appears to have a mother of pearl plate in the center of the dial, which is simply stunning. :p

Casio_OCEANUS_OCW-S1350PC-1AJR_01.JPG

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
I think these Oceanus models are superb. I really must invest in one of these. ;-)

1 - 20 of 1219 Posts