WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1861 - 1880 of 1898 Posts

·
Registered
Rolex | Tudor | Oceanus | G-Shock
35 Posts
Added a $19 Ritchie Silicone band today from Amazon and wow, it is easily the most comfortable watch band I’ve ever worn. So soft and supple. I went back and ordered two more of their “leather with nylon” watch bands as well.
Here are some updated pics of my OCW-500TLA-1AV older Oceanus.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Reactions: Fullers1845

·
Registered
Rolex | Tudor | Oceanus | G-Shock
35 Posts

(Crosspost from my post in a new sub-reddit I started for Oceanus)

I just purchased this Oceanus OCW-S4000D (EDIT: actually a S4000C, see next post below) limited-edition model that features “Edo Kiriko” cut sapphire glass on the bezel. It’s my second Casio Oceanus…the other one is an older OCW-500TLA that’s also a wonderful watch.

Prior to Oceanus, I purchased a Rolex Daytona and a Tudor Black Bay… before getting deeply into G-Shocks during these several months of the pandemic. And by deeply, I mean 10 G-Shock watches ranging from simple squares to the fancier metal squares to GulfMasters to MudMasters to the CasiOak and even a GST Steel model.

But I soon ran out of G-Shocks that interested me. Some of the nicer ones that I didn’t own were just too big (even bigger than a Mud/Gulf Master) or they had neat features I would never use, like a depth sensor or GPS. And the really bulky watches didn’t really fit my aesthetic either. So I thought… why can’t Casio make “nicer G-Shock watches that aren’t too expensive (like the MR-G line) and not too utilitarian looking (also like the MR-G line).

I knew about ProTrek and Ediface but none of them really appealed to me either. Then I discovered Oceanus, a brand I had never heard of.

At first I was looking at the Oceanus OCW-T200 series (which I just ordered tonight, the dark blue model) but then I saw some of their fancier versions, especially the limited edition versions like this S4000D, S5000C and the Cachalot series. I was blown away. I know the design isn’t for everyone but I absolutely loved it.

I then realized how much quality goes into these pieces… with the metal polishing, sapphire crystal and how the second hand hits every marker perfectly. The details on this S4000D when I look through my special magnifying “watch work” glasses is astounding. Many talk about how they’re made in the same Koriyama factory as Grand Seiko… and what that actually means for Oceanus I’m not sure, but I can completely believe that factory’s quality standard is very similar for all watches they produce. It’s great quality even for the 200,000¥ (roughly $2000) and I have a feeling it will make the $478 OCW-T200 seem like a complete steal. I'm not saying it's 1:1 with Grand Seiko but it's better than most watches I've seen, even high end luxury brands.

So… the quartz thing. Yeah, I know most watch enthusiasts prefer mechanical/automatic watches. But honestly, as I look at my collection of watches and see the exact precision of my atomic radio sync’d G Shock and Oceanus watches… then I see the “just a tad off” non atomic sync G-Shocks… and then I look at my “relatively” speaking (a few seconds a day) “way off” Rolex and Tudor, I kind of laugh to myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love them but with the current market values (and lack of places to go due to pandemic) I don’t even wear them often anymore... and even at unobtainable retail prices, these are but a small fraction of the cost. But anyhow, I honestly have gotten over the “mechanicals only” and truly appreciate quartz for what it is. Especially atomic or Bluetooth synchronized quartz. I also plan on adding a Grand Seiko Spring Drive later this year... that should bridge the gap between my collection nicely.

I also love the solar charging. Knowing I (theoretically) never need to change the battery or perform open case surgery or servicing is very comforting. I used to think “what’s the big deal in changing a battery once every 2-3 years” but now that I have a lot of solar watches, they make battery operated ones seem pedestrian.

Other features of the S4000D that I love is the dual-time and 24 sub-dial. I’m not one to really use a stopwatch or timer, let alone a compass or tide graph (or the Daytona’s chronograph)… world time is about all I want in a watch so I like that the complications in this watch are all very useful to me.

As for the design, like I said I love it. The first pic is one I took but it’s rather hard to get a good pic showing how the light catches on the fancy Edo Kiriko sapphire so I included some manufacturer pics. The watch is actually very subdued in real life… often just looking mostly like a black watch until the light hits it just right. I absolutely love that characteristic about this watch.

The watch is also full titanium and very thin. So it’s also very very light which is nice but I will admit it feels “cheap” because of that. With the Rolex and Tudor you get some heft and beefiness in weight. That’s lacking here. But it feels awesome on wrist and disappears because it’s so light.

Anyhow, that’s my S4000D and I love it. Thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
13,174 Posts
Great write-up, euge_lee. Highlights the amazing craftsmanship that goes into Oceanus and nicely advocates for Oceanus' place as an equal among Rolex, Tudor, and Grand Seiko. Your S4000C is such a beautiful specimen of the brand!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello.

I'm a long time reader but have a question so decided to register.

Have just bought my first Oceanus - S100. T200's hands are ugly for me that's why S100 was my decision.

It's pretty nice watch.

So my question - i know i won't need to change the battery soon but do you know what is the exact battery model?

Oh and one more - the last letters/numbers in the serial nunber are 006A. This means it was manufactured on 06.01.2021, right?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hello.

I'm a long time reader but have a question so decided to register.

Have just bought my first Oceanus - S100. T200's hands are ugly for me that's why S100 was my decision.

It's pretty nice watch.

So my question - i know i won't need to change the battery soon but do you know what is the exact battery model?

Oh and one more - the last letters/numbers in the serial nunber are 006A. This means it was manufactured on 06.01.2021, right?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards.
No idea what the battery is, but being solar it should be 15+ years before it needs replacing.

Yep, Jan 6, 2021 is your watches birthday.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Thanks.

I know this, but still wanna know what kind is the battery. Can't find any information in the net...
I tried and couldn't find it, either. I suspect it's a CTL1616, like is used in most solar Casios.

But, you could always crack the back open and look. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried and couldn't find much, but there is a thread in a german watch forum, where a user mentions he/she sent a T200 for service after receiving it with a dead battery and apparently the cell had to be imported from Tokyo for some reason. The cost was about 20€.

1861 - 1880 of 1898 Posts