WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Panerai-Luminor-1950-Marina-Militare-PAM673-vintage-6152-1.jpg

This is what started the PAM craze, the Vintage Panerai 6152/1 which traces it's roots to 1960s when they finally nailed the signature crescent crown-guard.

28866223615_9f87476b63_b.jpg

& then, there's the exacting PAM673, limited to 1000 pieces with further careful restoration of the minute needle hands... which brings us closest to the Official PAM 6152/1 Reissue, with improved 3-days power reserve In-House P3000 Movement.

like all things, brands improve over time, we can't expect Panerai to stay stagnant.

Compared to the PAM127 on ETA which draws inspiration from 6152/1, Panerai improved it and made it accessible by releasing the 1000 pieces PAM673 on the in-house movement.

Of course, if you missed the boat, there's the PAM372 which holds most of the 6152/1 DNA. Just that the PAM673 holds alot of excitement for me, as it bears the Marina Militare dial which is rarer and it's minute needle hands brings this reissue the closest to the 6152/1 on Panerai's in-house movement.

It's as good as it gets.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks good, but i like to see that a watch is running. I'm missing a running seconds. So this one's not for me!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, I used to think the same way for a datejust watch...
and then, realised that I could do without the date.

you could see the movement running at the displayback.
the key thing is... this is a grail being a 1000 pieces official 6152/1 re-issue.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
When I saw a 673 last year at the local boutique, I couldn't leave it in the shop. I had done a bit of research previously, so I knew it was a historically correct reissue. What did it for me mostly, is the beautifully styled and historically correct hands and the "MARINA MILITARE" text on the dial. I felt that two years after the model was introduced, I was lucky to find one. Not being one to buy unseen online, I jumped at the chance. Of course, this Special Edition model does come at a premium over the 372, which here in Canada was $1500 more. On the other hand, going to over 11 grand anyway, the choice of getting the 673 was a simple one for me. So, with full MSRP plus tax, I paid $14,448CAD. While I rarely discuss prices on these forums, I just wanted to demonstrate how special I feel this watch is.

Admittedly, since I got the 673, I have thought at times of selling it. The Radiomir 47mm just fits my wrist a lot better. But the 673 is the watch over the past decade that I have worn for the longest time at a stretch. Last Fall, I was away for two weeks and it is the only watch I brought with me. And, as large as it is, I did develop a special bond with it. The beautiful Ponte Vecchio strap just softened up beautifully and, despite the size of the watch, it became one of my most comfortable.

Every time I think of parting with it, I put it on my wrist and wear it for a day. And often I will ask a friend to put it on his wrist. I find that once I see one of my watches on someone else's wrist, thoughts of parting with it disappear. At least for the time being. ;-)

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
128 Posts
it's a beauty, but i wonder how many potential owners would pass because of no seconds hand?

i'm not sure how i like those hands either. still an interesting piece regardless. If a watch's movement is robust enough and i trust that it is running when i think it's running, i kind of like the badass nature of no seconds hand... but i'm still not sure if i'd buy one. i like to see things move.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, considering that this is the Vintage Panerai Reissue of the 6152/1, I feel... the PAM673 nails it for exacting purist enthusiasts.

the sub-seconds was the final version of the 6152/1 no doubt, but this version without the sub-seconds was what was promoted for the most part of PAM's history.

and in this version, the PAM's Signature is born, the crescent crown-guard... never mind the upgrade from the wire-lugs to the solid-block lugs.

Having had the sub-seconds dial, I realised... it doesn't make a meaningful difference in time-keeping.

I like the 6152/1 because it's a dateless which brings out a weekend feel from wearing the watch.

any similar thoughts?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I appreciate the history of the watch but like i already said i like to see a running seconds. So i went and purchased a Radiomir Black Seal 8 days yesterday which by the way has it's own interesting history!

·
Registered
20,461 Posts
The 673 is a thing of beauty!!

And I would have one if I didn’t already have a 372.

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think PAM673 is severely underpriced for what it is, right now.

To think that the fantasy dial of PAM127 is more expensive than an actual historic accurate dial like PAM673 that is more limited than PAM127, it's unforgivable.

Seriously, I think PAM673 is the most underpriced PAM right now, that holds an important and direct link to 6152/1... than PAM372.

It's a different animal altogether.

For someone who wants only the finest.

Let's face it, getting a PAM267 is impossible.

Getting a 6152/1 is hmm, adventurous, as it can be frankened.

PAM673 is as good as it can get, with PAM's in-house movement and utmost attempt to be accurate to the 6152/1, something they purposely did not do for the 372.

no?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I think PAM673 is severely underpriced for what it is, right now.

To think that the fantasy dial of PAM127 is more expensive than an actual historic accurate dial like PAM673 that is more limited than PAM127, it's unforgivable.

Seriously, I think PAM673 is the most underpriced PAM right now, that holds an important and direct link to 6152/1... than PAM372.

It's a different animal altogether.

For someone who wants only the finest.

Let's face it, getting a PAM267 is impossible.

Getting a 6152/1 is hmm, adventurous, as it can be frankened.

PAM673 is as good as it can get, with PAM's in-house movement and utmost attempt to be accurate to the 6152/1, something they purposely did not do for the 372.

no?
There seem to be quite a number of 673 on the pre-owned market right now. And I certainly agree with your thoughts about the model, the biggest reason I bought it. My wrist size at 7.25in can handle a watch of that size well, but it is easily the largest watch I have owned. Nevertheless, it is very comfortable. My personal feeling when I am wearing it is exactly that I feel I am wearing one of the very best models. While I thought at the time I bought it that it was rather overpriced, I am now feeling the opposite. At least on the pre-owned market. I don't usually pay much attention to resale on a watch, either before or after I buy it. I have to admit that it was one that I had considered selling, but feel that it is just too great a model to let it go at a large loss. That is really a good thing for me, as it is allowing me to now have kind of a second "honeymoon" with it. It is one that I intend to wear a lot more often.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I recently sold my 372 to upgrade to the 673. Smallest differences, but best watch collection decision I have made in a long while.
View attachment 14183153
Congratulations! Keep the photos coming. I was on the fence for a while, about whether or not to sell my 673. But the more pics I see, the more I wear it, and the more motivated I am.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 7" wrist, just measured yesterday.
7" = 18cm in diameter.

PROS
Can pull off a 47mm watch well.

CONS
40mm watch looks like a boy's size watch on me.

( Deeper Implication : Most of Rolex's 40mm offerings look like a tad too small on me. PAM's 47mm gets more attention and I enjoy the conversations where I share my love and admiration for the Only Italian Brand which was also a Military Secret Issue to it's elite Navy Divers Unit of it's day... I looked through the Brit's, Soviet's Divers and the Japanese's Pilot and can safely say... the Italians are the only one who nailed function with flamboyance, so much so that the ..... priced it that they placed an order on it... I mean, they could have gone to the Swiss who were war-neutral and place a bunch of watch orders, no? After all, that's where the ..... parked their gold. But no, the Germans know if u want style in your design... u go to the Italians. )

The Omega Alaska Project was underpriced for the longest time... and then, it pumped.

I must say the Omega Alaska Project's Reissue is aesthetically more tasteful than it's original.

Likewise, with the italians who took the spear head in the 6152/1 design, the swiss has refined it from it's upgrade of the Angelus movement to the Pam's inhouse P3000 to the Maximum Retention, Sensitive Restoration & Careful Repair on the PAM673.

I missed the boat when Omega Alaska Project Reissue was severely underpriced.

While the PAM372 satisfies us in a pleasant democratic manner, PAM673 is a tad closer to history with the 3 "R's" principles and limited to 1000 pieces.

History has often shown the pricing mechanism will correct it's inefficiency over time.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
When I saw a 673 last year at the local boutique, I couldn't leave it in the shop. I had done a bit of research previously, so I knew it was a historically correct reissue. What did it for me mostly, is the beautifully styled and historically correct hands and the "MARINA MILITARE" text on the dial. I felt that two years after the model was introduced, I was lucky to find one. Not being one to buy unseen online, I jumped at the chance. Of course, this Special Edition model does come at a premium over the 372, which here in Canada was $1500 more. On the other hand, going to over 11 grand anyway, the choice of getting the 673 was a simple one for me. So, with full MSRP plus tax, I paid $14,448CAD. While I rarely discuss prices on these forums, I just wanted to demonstrate how special I feel this watch is.

Admittedly, since I got the 673, I have thought at times of selling it. The Radiomir 47mm just fits my wrist a lot better. But the 673 is the watch over the past decade that I have worn for the longest time at a stretch. Last Fall, I was away for two weeks and it is the only watch I brought with me. And, as large as it is, I did develop a special bond with it. The beautiful Ponte Vecchio strap just softened up beautifully and, despite the size of the watch, it became one of my most comfortable.

Every time I think of parting with it, I put it on my wrist and wear it for a day. And often I will ask a friend to put it on his wrist. I find that once I see one of my watches on someone else's wrist, thoughts of parting with it disappear. At least for the time being. ;-)

Cheers,
Carl
And that´s a stunning watch. It would be also hard for me to part with such a beauty :-x

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I have a 7" wrist, just measured yesterday.
7" = 18cm in diameter.

PROS
Can pull off a 47mm watch well.

CONS
40mm watch looks like a boy's size watch on me.

( Deeper Implication : Most of Rolex's 40mm offerings look like a tad too small on me. PAM's 47mm gets more attention and I enjoy the conversations where I share my love and admiration for the Only Italian Brand which was also a Military Secret Issue to it's elite Navy Divers Unit of it's day... I looked through the Brit's, Soviet's Divers and the Japanese's Pilot and can safely say... the Italians are the only one who nailed function with flamboyance, so much so that the ..... priced it that they placed an order on it... I mean, they could have gone to the Swiss who were war-neutral and place a bunch of watch orders, no? After all, that's where the ..... parked their gold. But no, the Germans know if u want style in your design... u go to the Italians. )

The Omega Alaska Project was underpriced for the longest time... and then, it pumped.

I must say the Omega Alaska Project's Reissue is aesthetically more tasteful than it's original.

Likewise, with the italians who took the spear head in the 6152/1 design, the swiss has refined it from it's upgrade of the Angelus movement to the Pam's inhouse P3000 to the Maximum Retention, Sensitive Restoration & Careful Repair on the PAM673.

I missed the boat when Omega Alaska Project Reissue was severely underpriced.

While the PAM372 satisfies us in a pleasant democratic manner, PAM673 is a tad closer to history with the 3 "R's" principles and limited to 1000 pieces.

History has often shown the pricing mechanism will correct it's inefficiency over time.
Well said and definitely shows deep passion for the 673. Although, I do have a 7.25in wrist, I really enjoy wearing some of the smaller watches as well. But I do agree that after I wear the 673, anything smaller does take a bit of adjustment. I wore my Zenth Pilot 43mm earlier today, and even that seemed small.

After over 20 years, I finally went ahead and got a Rolex Sub, which I thought would be "it". The one watch which I would wear most, then after a year or two most of my collection would be sold in favor of the Sub. Wow, how wrong I was. I guess there was a reason I waited over 20 years to get a Sub, even though I could have afforded it many times. Now I realize it is just because I lost interest in it so quickly. Honestly, as far as craftsmanship, reliability there is absolutely nothing I can fault about it. And I was/still am a Rolex fan.

I wore the Sub solely for about a week. Then I started to wear other watches in my collection. And I found that I rarely went back to the Sub. Soon I realized that the watch just is not the one for me. I can't explain it, except to say that I lost interest in it. I sold it to a good friend who couldn't wait to have one, and the same day I bought myself an Oris Divers 65, which I absolutely love. It is the second one for me.

Now, I mostly wear my PAM 673. The beautiful Ponte Vecchio strap is still on the watch, and wearing in beautifully. And it is also one of the most comfortable of all my watches. Even though it is the largest. It is the one watch in my entire collection I have worn for the longest stretch, which was about 2 weeks last year. Matter of fact, I started my day today with another watch and, as I type this, I realize I am going to put the 673 back on my wrist. Aesthetically, the biggest joy about this watch for me is the superb pencil shaped gold hands. Along with the colored lume and dial text, they give the dial a wonderful golden hue especially against the dial which I would say is more tropical than black.

I made a deal with myself that I am keeping it on the Ponte Vecchio strap, which is becoming even more supple over time. When I see the text "Marina Militare" on the dial, it reminds me of one of the reasons I got this watch. Unfortunately, I have always had a very bad retention when it comes to historical facts, and many years in high school I got failing grades in history. I constantly have to go back a reread all the websites, blogs and posts, although I have done this so many times I am starting to retain lots of the history.

Amazing to me, that a few months ago it was one watch that I actually considered selling. And it had not been on my wrist for a few months. Now, I can't seem to take it off. And even the manager at the local Boutique advised me that whatever models I sell, by all means keep the 721 and 673. And I have taken that advice.

Sorry to ramble on here. Glad you started this thread, though. It brings back all the reasons I bought this watch in the first place, and encourages me to make it a permanent piece in my collection.

Cheers,
Carl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts