WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on Instagram I’ve seen some superb shots like this. A chance to show your creativity and sartorial clout (or lack there of for me in both cases :-d )

Here is my Omega Aqua Terra ‘Skyfall’ with Sunspel white T-shirt and blue towelling shorts by Orlebar Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
'
Great idea for a thread Dan!

I've never had any luck with these (except 1 or 2 the wife shot) but coincidentally I just tried some 'reflection in the mirror shots' a couple of days ago so I could see what I was aiming at, & select an aperture to try to keep the watch in focus (room is pretty dim) otherwise camera always defaults to ƒ 1.8 ...

DSC05901A.jpg

When I fully zoomed in on the watch face for a close-up however, the image was way too small to be sharp enough ' :roll:

DSC05902A.jpg

I've seen loads of really great pocket shots all over the forum, but no idea how to go about taking them. The mirror reflection thing is all I could think of.

Does anyone have helpful suggestions, tips or tricks to taking pocket shots that they could share?

Will.
'

·
Registered
877 Posts
'

I've never had any luck with these (except 1 or 2 the wife shot) but coincidentally I just tried some 'reflection in the mirror shots' a couple of days ago so I could see what I was aiming at, & select an aperture to try to keep the watch in focus (room is pretty dim) otherwise camera always defaults to ƒ 1.8 ...

View attachment 15190375

When I fully zoomed in on the watch face for a close-up however, the image was way too small to be sharp enough ' :roll:

View attachment 15190379

I've seen loads of really great pocket shots all over the forum, but no idea how to go about taking them. The mirror reflection thing is all I could think of.

Does anyone have helpful suggestions, tips or tricks to taking pocket shots that they could share?

Will.
'
Railmaster brothers!

I have a DSLR on a tripod with an app on my phone that I can use to press the trigger....very helpful! The only issue then is lighting!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

Will.
I’ve done the whole set-up with tripod and leaning down to make sure the image was in focus and that there is nothing reflecting off the crystal, but this can become a huge production just to get one decent shot.

With my iPhone, it would be great if I had seven fingers on one hand, so that I can hold the phone, tap the screen to focus on the watch, and then press the shutter. I see some great photos and I can only assume that these photos involve a lot of: “Hey, honey, can you take a picture with my phone of my watch on my wrist?”

I’ll take a stab at one soon.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great shots already chaps! Kudos to those using a DSLR and tripod. Mine are iPhone only with lots of attempts! :-d

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Superb sartorial colour choices with that Pepsi bezel :)

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Railmaster brothers!

I have a DSLR on a tripod with an app on my phone that I can use to press the trigger....very helpful! The only issue then is lighting!

Very nice!!!

Reactions: fskywalker

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'

View attachment 15190375

View attachment 15190379

Will.
'
Keep taking lots of shots and 1 in 1,000,000 will be usable! :-d

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I literally must’ve taken 30 shots to get this. I would throw Riley his ball behind me then aim the camera as he was running back towards me. This was my best effort. Worth it despite the confused faces of onlookers :-d

·
Registered
9,039 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Railmaster brothers!

I have a DSLR on a tripod with an app on my phone that I can use to press the trigger....very helpful!
I’ve done the whole set-up with tripod and leaning down to make sure the image was in focus and that there is nothing reflecting off the crystal, but this can become a huge production just to get one decent shot.

With my iPhone, it would be great if I had seven fingers on one hand, so that I can hold the phone, tap the screen to focus on the watch, and then press the shutter. I see some great photos and I can only assume that these photos involve a lot of: “Hey, honey, can you take a picture with my phone of my watch on my wrist?”

I’ll take a stab at one soon.
Keep taking lots of shots and 1 in 1,000,000 will be usable! :-d
Ah! Perhaps beginning to understand the true nature of the problem(s) now...

No tripod - camera fits in jean's pocket (or no pics get taken), doesn't have apps, or touch to focus, or touch screen etc at all...

(It's a 1st generation Sony RX100 from 2012, but I got it 2nd-hand 3 or 4 years ago after being bowled over by the pics from 2 or 3 other members on here, who all used the same model).

Think Tino hit the quick answer on the head with : “Hey, honey, can you take a picture with my phone of my watch on my wrist?”

Here's the pocket shot which my better half snapped with the RX100 back in 2017...

2-12-17_03(2020A)L.jpg
'

·
Registered
257 Posts
Over on Instagram I’ve seen some superb shots like this. A chance to show your creativity and sartorial clout (or lack there of for me in both cases :-d )

Here is my Omega Aqua Terra ‘Skyfall’ with Sunspel white T-shirt and blue towelling shorts by Orlebar Brown.

Alright Mr. Bond... I’ll play your game.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know I know... I spent 15 seconds on the project. 13 looking for a watch to wear and 2 looking for some pants. I promise I’ll do better later in the day. Please forgive me.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
257 Posts
Haha! ;-)

Ok, I’m a man of my word, so I grabbed a watch and went outside to take the shot. Took a couple of them to see if one worked and then came inside the house only to remember that this is the Omega Forum and the watch wasn’t an Omega. So Again I went and looked for a Omega to try the shots again. Needless to say that with the extra effort and time the enthusiasm waned so I don’t think I did very good.

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I’m a man of my word, so I grabbed a watch and went outside to take the shot. Took a couple of them to see if one worked and then came inside the house only to remember that this is the Omega Forum and the watch wasn’t an Omega. So Again I went and looked for a Omega to try the shots again. Needless to say that with the extra effort and time the enthusiasm waned so I don’t think I did very good.
Well, you’ve captured your top, trousers and watch so all good. Just need to zoom in a little closer.

Reactions: fskywalker
1 - 20 of 70 Posts