WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What watch did you not pick up when the opportunity presented itself, and now you regret that you didn't get it? Maybe identical examples you find these days are now out of your price range, or whatever.

Mine would be this SMP 300 auto. Surely an 1120 movement inside, which I think was Omega's last version before they switched the 300M to coaxial. It was at a mall kiosk in California, mixed in with run-of-the-mill jewelry and a couple other watches (including a ladies' Constellation), with a price of $1700. I was told that it was recently serviced, but I didn't ask for proof or papers because I really couldn't buy it that day. I would've offered, and paid, $1500 if I were buying. Looking online now, I can't find this generation for much less than $2k.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
For me it's the opposite. There are several would have been impulse buys but I was too late. Never circled back to get them, so I was saved by my own incompetence.

Score!

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
For me, it was the Seiko SBQJ015. At that time, it has just recently been discontinued, and Seiya was asking about $500 for it, which was more than I was comfortable spending on a watch sight unseen at the time. By the time I was convinced it was worth it, it was all sold out, and even preowned examples of the watch are almost impossible to come by.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
a 2003 Sub on local classifieds, just a short drive away, for A$3800 (US$3550). That's a screaming hot price for Australia and, I think, also the US.

Emailed the guy but didn't end up going there because it had no box or known service history and I was not keen on waiting for it to get serviced. I am 99.9% that it was genuine given the pics he made on request.

I would love to have that Sub on a NATO.

·
Registered
15,286 Posts
These threads come up every now and then and brings back the painful memory. When this LE (265 in the world, I believe) first came out, I hesitated for shock at it's MSRP. Shoulda done it, cause now only pre-owned ones come up once in a blue moon at just shy of double the original price (and they move). Sigh o|

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
Reactions: BarracksSi

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
Two for me - an Omega 2254, new, with a warranty from an AD. For $2500. This was a couple years ago, now, and they're still selling for that on the used market. I had the cash on me, but I was apprehensive of dropping it all on a single watch purchase. I ended up buying dive gear with the money - so it wasn't completely lost.

The other was a 1969 861 Speedmaster. Selling for $3000 at a local shop. A fair, but not super generous price, given that this was 4 years ago, no. Still, had I bought it, and kept it. I would likely be able to flip it right now without any loss, save for inflation. Wouldn't have been a bad price to pay for almost half a decade of vintage Speedy ownership.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
20,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another one for me was a GMT Master, late 80's vintage, for $1800. I probably could've sold it a day later for $3k, but I would still have it now.

·
Premium Member
64,991 Posts
I had chance of an Oris Der Meistertaucher (the red one with the torch in the kit) but I couldn't make my mind up and while I was uming and aring the AD went and sold it.

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
That makes a lot more sense!
Even today, you can get the Speedmaster Professional on the grey market for about 2000 GBP = $3300K.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In 1994, I was 19 and buying my first "real" watch. I had always (and still do) wanted a Submariner w/ date. At the time, it was about $3500 and I just could not fathom spending that on a watch. Instead, I bought a SMP Quartz for $1295 (turned out to be great, but damn...). Every time I go to my AD and see a Sub for $8500+ I kick my own a$$...

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
My watchmaker had a (mint) VC 49140 for sale at a fair price but, for some reason, I didn't buy it. Now, they are way too expensive (to me)...o|

(pic from www)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
A Bond Seamaster back in 2004 for $1200

:-(
Haha - yep. That's the watch I've wanted for the longest time - been my Grail since, well, frankly, Goldeneye. It's also the watch I'm convinced I'll never have. Every time I get up enough money to buy it (at the price I remember it being), I find that Omega has priced it right out of what I'm willing / able to spend on it. One day. Maybe.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Grand seiko Sbgx103 9f 20th anniversary, bought a tag heuer instead, although it seems like a bad decision, i don't regret it that much but i admit once a while, it always cross my mind that i could have gotten better watch, but Tag fits my age (early 20) better than any GS, they look rather old sadly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts