WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so much about the Honeymoon Period when you buy a new watch. However, I'm wondering if anyone else goes through the exact opposite? Rather than a Honeymoon Period, I tend to go through a period where I hate everything about the watch and constantly think about returning/selling it.

I think my Honeymoon Period is actually the time I spend watching videos and reading reviews, before I ever actually purchase a piece. Once I get it on wrist, it's like, "it's too big, the date window is too white, it doesn't look right in my basement light, maybe if I spend $400 on straps, etc. etc.).

Even on my favourite watch (Oris Big Crown) I went through this, and almost sold it on multiple occasions in the first month.

Maybe it's more like the Dating Period, where you've just met and are trying to see if it's going to work out or not?

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
Not sure I ever get to the hate stage, but certainly fall out of love.

Then after a break I will wear it again and realise what I liked about it first of, and then the love rekindles.

·
Premium Member
13,805 Posts
It sounds like you may watch too many videos, read too many reviews, and ultimately have unrealistic expectations before they arrive. You are stacking the deck expecting a royal flush, so suddenly your four of a kind is a disappointment

·
Registered
108 Posts
Buyer's Remorse.
Yes, this is a perfect illustration of Buyer's Remorse.

When I am researching for a purchase, I always ask myself if there's something that will disappoint me about the item, and keep that in mind before pressing "complete order."

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes! I've had the exact thing happen and I agree with @Mediocre on possibly why. I've put so much time into selecting the "perfect" piece and there is no way it can live up to the image in my mind. What's worse, this has caused me to then start a downward trading spiral...several months later I'm left with a watch that is half the value and that I never wanted, asking myself what the hell happened. LOL. My new rule in this scenario is lay off the obsessive research beforehand and to wear the new watch non-stop for 90 days...if I don't love it by then, I never will.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure I ever get to the hate stage, but certainly fall out of love.

Then after a break I will wear it again and realise what I liked about it first of, and then the love rekindles.
I'm not thinking of long-term ownership, but more of that first few weeks with a new piece. Do you find that you usually love it because it is new and shiny, or do you start second guessing little things (that generally don't matter in the long run).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like you may watch too many videos, read too many reviews, and ultimately have unrealistic expectations before they arrive. You are stacking the deck expecting a royal flush, so suddenly your four of a kind is a disappointment
You, my friend, are 100% correct. I find myself stewing over really tiny things, rather than thinking 'this watch is great.' Fortunately, I've learned to recognize this in myself, so I give it time for a piece to grow on me. I tend to go from, "I hate it, the # 3 looks weird," to "this watch is awesome, if not for that weird # 3," to "this watch is awesome, that # 3 is so cool and unique."

It's a strange process, but I just thought it was worth bringing up since it seems to be different from what I often read on here.

·
Registered
30,250 Posts
I'm not thinking of long-term ownership, but more of that first few weeks with a new piece. Do you find that you usually love it because it is new and shiny, or do you start second guessing little things (that generally don't matter in the long run).
Depends how easy or hard it was to get in the first place.

If I just went online found the cheapest deal and it arrived the next day, then maybe the honeymoon period might be very short lived, but if it took me months of searching, and I paid a few bob for it then it will normally hang on a while.

Reactions: VNLK

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
This happened to me and a Zelos Nova Meteorite. The moment I unboxed it I was underwhelmed and thought "this was a mistake". Forced myself to wait, even spent more money trying to make it right. That was not a good idea.

80 days after receiving it I sold it at a loss. Just wanted it gone. I don't regret the purchase though, because I learned something from it.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
You, my friend, are 100% correct. I find myself stewing over really tiny things, rather than thinking 'this watch is great.' Fortunately, I've learned to recognize this in myself, so I give it time for a piece to grow on me. I tend to go from, "I hate it, the # 3 looks weird," to "this watch is awesome, if not for that weird # 3," to "this watch is awesome, that # 3 is so cool and unique."

It's a strange process, but I just thought it was worth bringing up since it seems to be different from what I often read on here.
Hmmm....

Diagnosis: Watch dysmorphic syndrome.

🤭 ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, this is a perfect illustration of Buyer's Remorse.

When I am researching for a purchase, I always ask myself if there's something that will disappoint me about the item, and keep that in mind before pressing "complete order."
Yeah, definitely a form of Buyers Remorse, for sure. Though I find it is almost always just a phase, whereas when I have buyers remorse over a non-watch product, I usually dislike it forever, haha.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This happened to me and a Zelos Nova Meteorite. The moment I unboxed it I was underwhelmed and thought "this was a mistake". Forced myself to wait, even spent more money trying to make it right. That was not a good idea.

80 days after receiving it I sold it at a loss. Just wanted it gone. I don't regret the purchase though, because I learned something from it.

View attachment 15864105
Some really good points here that I can relate to. I'm still relatively new to this watch world, so each purchase is a learning experience for me still. Every time I think I know exactly what I want in a watch, a new one will shift my line of thinking. I'm definitely getting better at not spending more money to try to make me like a watch, and spending a solid amount of time with it before making any crazy decisions.

But like you, once I truly decide I'm done with it, I just want it gone and will sell at a loss just to get rid of it.

I think ultimately, like anything, it's how different personalities come through in a hobby.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I don't expect any ONE of my watches to be "perfect." They each have their own personality, features, functions, esthetics, etc.

I see my COLLECTION as a "collectively perfect watch." That's why I have multiples.

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
But like you, once I truly decide I'm done with it, I just want it gone and will sell at a loss just to get rid of it.

I think ultimately, like anything, it's how different personalities come through in a hobby.
Yep, my urge to sell is greater than the urge to buy. I can't deal with dead weight.

Reactions: Reidceeding

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
I had a relative that walked out of the church from the alter as his bride to be walked in many many years ago. It must have been terrible on that poor girl in those times but the honeymoon never happened. No matter where you buy these days the buyer must have some time to either declare a marriage or a walkout.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts