WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The optimal watch gain/loss SPD

I believe my watch is optimal! I know I get excited about the reviews of the Tudor BB36 gaining 1 SPD. My Hamilton gains approximately .5 second on my wrist from wake up until evening shower. Additionally, it loses 1 second overnight if I hang it on a hook (vertical). Finally, it gains 4 seconds overnight if I lay it flat on my nightstand..

I would much rather have a watch that gains in one position and loses in another, just like this.... I may only need to pull the crown out on 30 day months to adjust the date and never have to mess with it, because I just check it vs atomic clock at bed time and lay it or hang it accordingly. If a Tudor gains every day, I know I will probably want to pull the crown out once a week or so... and because it is a screw down crown, this means I would also be hand winding it (during screw down process) which I want to avoid.

Cliff notes: the optimal daily wear watch has easily determined “gain time” and “lose time” overnight positions and could go years without pulling out the crown!

here is a screen grab from WatchTracker for recently ... it includes a weekend off the wrist and using some “face up” time overnight to catch up on Sunday night. I may lay it down tonight instead of hang it to have it around plus 2 or 3 seconds in the morning.

·
Premium Member
71,512 Posts
Perhaps it’s because I’m such an easy going bloke that I don’t attach such a massive importance to accuracy. That and the fact the most of my watches only serve 24 hours. My 2 “regulars” are both superlative chronometers so the accuracy is more than good enough for me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am OCD about it and as my wife says, I run my life with “zero buffer” (leaving for a meeting from my desk with 25 seconds to start time, etc) so I try to keep it pretty much right on.
If I had a watch that gained a consistent 1 to 2 seconds per day I imagine I would start each week 4-6 seconds behind and re do each Sunday or Monday.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I suppose that's nice but personally there is nothing in my life that depends upon such precise measurements, so, I don't pay all that much attention--I can get by with 30 seconds deviation either way and I'll still be on time for work, meetings, buses, trains, TV programs and whatever--good enough for me, although only one of my watches is that lethargic, and one is just about spot on--the oldest one (go figure), at 55 years old--doesn't make a bit of difference once on the wrist, my life's tolerances are certainly above a half minute either way.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
My life doesn't require extreme accuracy but I check accuracy every now and then to make sure the movements are running fine.

All my autos are accurate to +/- 5 seconds including the ST19 chrono, more than enough for me.

If I ever did find myself in a situation where I needed to the second accuracy I'd wear the atomic quartz.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
With the needed accuracy in your life, why would you not rely on a instrument that could actually provide you with the accuracy you require? Demanding this from a sketchy mechanical watch movement doesn't seem to fit within the scope of your being.

I know you may get a bit animated with your response to my comment, but it does make sense if you think about it.

·
Premium Member
36,407 Posts
As long as I get to my meetings and events on time, I consider that "accurate" enough for my needs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the needed accuracy in your life, why would you not rely on a instrument that could actually provide you with the accuracy you require? Demanding this from a sketchy mechanical watch movement doesn't seem to fit within the scope of your being.

I know you may get a bit animated with your response to my comment, but it does make sense if you think about it.
I mean, as my post indicates, I already have a watch which I am able to keep more than accurate enough for my needs and wants...

I guess the point of my original post was that I prefer a watch that I can control plus and minus SPD with something as easy as which way I lay it down at night (which I have empirical evidence with one particular watch as being able to accomplish) and only need to adjust crown for 30 day months, rather than have a watch that gained 1 SPD no matter what I did with it.

Now,
If my Hamilton was instead a Seiko and instead of being +5 or -1 depending on how I lay it at night and it was “+15 / - 20” sure, I would rather have the +1 SPD consistency instead!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Optimal would be +/- 0 spd regardless of resting position, temp., state of wind and time on wrist.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Out of my autos, the Hamilton is the most accurate at -0.3. The IWC with ETA comes in next at +1.1. Heuer02 +2.7

I like tracking accuracy once in a while, and in general, like accuracy just for seeing how far people can push the mechanics. I think it’s worthwhile to do that even though more than likely will not beat quartz without some huge advancement in the engineering.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have one auto, it has never been wound or put on a winder and has never stopped. It is a pinch fast so I set it one minute slow and when it gets to one minute fast I reset to one minute behind time. Sometimes it is so long between setting that I can't remember the last time it was set.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
It is more important that your watch be in sync with whoever is holding the meeting/event than it is in sync with NIST time.
Unless you're wiling to tell them you're not early/late-they are.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to care a lot about accuracy and tracked the +/- for all my watches daily. For me, it had to do with appreciating the worksmanship of these movements and how they kept such great level of accuracy. I've stopped doing this as of late as I've stabilized my collection down to just a few watches that I trust and wear consistently. But to answer your question, if my watches were anywhere between -10 to +15 secs/day I can live with it. Preferably it would be between -2 to +5 seconds, with the preference being running slightly fast than slightly slow.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I get what the OP is saying...I do. I just regulated a Salitta SW200-1 in my co-workers Oris. It was running -18 SPD. I managed to bring it to within -2 -to -7 SPD. He is very thankful for that. The fact that I set it so the date clicks over within a minute from midnight and the second hand hits 12 on the nose every minute was more impressive to him. I earned an elbow bump and a pint of apple Crown Royal for my efforts!

I am not so worried about my watches being this accurate though. I make it to work on time because of my work ethic, not relying on my watch to tell me to punch the gas pedal!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You need a HAQ my friend.

My Chronomaster Washi is +/-5 SPY. Right now it is running +7 since I set it 19 months ago...

I think my most accurate automatic watch my Blancpain Bathyscaphe. I set it about 8 days ago, and it is +8 from the reference time.

I have never tracked watches based on their position though. Nor purposefully measured at intervals.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
...and the second hand hits 12 on the nose every minute was more impressive to him. I earned an elbow bump and a pint of apple Crown Royal for my efforts!
That's a function of the position of the cannon pinion with respect to the driving wheel and will change every time you hack it.

Your friend is going to be disappointed the next time he hacks it.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
That's a function of the position of the cannon pinion with respect to the driving wheel and will change every time you hack it.

Your friend is going to be disappointed the next time he hacks it.
WE know that! LOL ;)He sets his watch like this every time he wears it. He was just happy that I recognized this and set it back to his standards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It doesn't have to be about a need for "to the second" accuracy. It can be about enjoying and admiring a device which is able to do such things with gears and coiled up pieces of metal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts