WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Tropics are sweet but not THE original Bond strap. In the Dr. No movie, he wore the big crown on a brown croc strap. Then it switched to the cloth strap we are all used to seeing for the next few films.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm . . . . well thanks for the info 66Cooper. I wonder how that combo would look on a Kingston? I may have to go shopping for a brown croc and give it a test drive on my old 1680 just for kicks. Tom

Tropics are sweet but not THE original Bond strap. In the Dr. No movie, he wore the big crown on a brown croc strap. Then it switched to the cloth strap we are all used to seeing for the next few films.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Before the advent of high quality BluRay repros of the movie, everyone thought that the "original" strap was black and grey. This in turn was the subject of much discussion, with a near consensus arising that the pattern was the Regimental Stripe of the General Service Corps, the amalgam unit that a British spy would likely be administratively assigned to (though, as a former RN Commander, Bond could have worn the colors of the Navy). It was even postulated that the director, Guy Hamilton, who had served with great distinction in WWII may have been the donor of that watch and strap for exactly that reason.

That seemed like a good explanation until BluRay revealed it is actually the multicolored stripes now seen on the "real original Bond" strap. Unfortunately, that color combo does not match any military or governmental entity, and appears to be the colors of a northern England soccer club. Add that to the 16mm width of the movie strap on the 20mm lug set of the watch, and it does not seem to be something you'd really want to emulate in the context of James Bond.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Here are some shots from the first three movies. I have just about every second of "watch" shots from most Bond films:)

Dr. No with brown leather Croc strap

From Russia with same brown croc

Goldfinger with the now famous "Bond" strap

And...for all you GMT fans, the Pussy Galore GMT 6542

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool shots, thanks . . . .

Granted, we're only talking about spy novels, old movies and such here, but it would seem that wearing regimental colors that might associate one with the British military would have not been very smart for Bond and the dressy croc band would have been far more discreet with his typically suave attire. Still fun to speculate though, isn't it? I still think we should call the (potential) shoulderless GMT the "PGMT" in honor of Pussy Galore. It would be the kind of subtle joke that only a Bond WIS could appreciate.
Tom

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here are some shots from the first three movies. I have just about every second of "watch" shots from most Bond films:)
Same here! I'll be wearing it on a brown croc strap when mine arrives! Can't wait, straps are sitting in case waiting for watch to arrive.
Rich

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I just received my 20mm Corvus Bond strap (Nato style). Very nice but uber thin and stiff. Breaking it in other some other watches before my Kingston arrives.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thin? thats not good. Post some pix if you can.
I will post some soon attached to the red. Corvus claims to have gone to the original band suppliers in UK for this, so even though it is thin I think it's accurate.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have the 600m "Golden Tuna" with the black coating and gold titanium. A "Bond" NATO might actually work on it. Well, at least the versions that are more red and gold and less maroon and olive green. Bonus as it is a Bond watch from For Your Eyes Only

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Now that I have my Kingston, I feel it time to finally buy all the straps for it. I am not sure why I waited but whatever.

So, where can I find a really nice brown croc/alligator (not sure which exactly) strap in 20mm. I am actually looking for two. One also for my fathers Breitling Chronomat. I see a lot of really thin, rather cheesy looking ones out there. Most are not real croc but simply patterned to look like it. The Kingston needs something with a little heft to it. Maybe padded? If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Now that I have my Kingston, I feel it time to finally buy all the straps for it. I am not sure why I waited but whatever.

So, where can I find a really nice brown croc/alligator (not sure which exactly) strap in 20mm. I am actually looking for two. One also for my fathers Breitling Chronomat. I see a lot of really thin, rather cheesy looking ones out there. Most are not real croc but simply patterned to look like it. The Kingston needs something with a little heft to it. Maybe padded? If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great.
This is one of those times where Ebay really works: I've had extraordinary good luck buying really nice straps on the 'bay over the years. Look for older, vintage straps. Nobody's bothering to fake those (yet).

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I did come across some vintage NOS Rolex croc straps. Both in gloss and matte. Nice but I am afraid they will be too thin.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I have two Hadley Roma's waiting in my strap bag that I bought specifially for the kingston, crocodile with large pattern, mid padding, one in black and one in brown, gsemi gloss finish. I'll post pics when I get mine. Very nice in my opinion, the majority of my strap collection is HR, I have others but have never been dissappointed with an HR strap.
Rich

1 - 18 of 18 Posts