WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well i bought a 3rd red 12, this one is a 4th quarter '52, the case isn't great and the red 12 is all but gone but it is working and has the correct hands, which i will put on the 3rd quarter '54 watch. I dont think the crown is correct but it looks alot more like an original crown so will use that to and then throw the rest together or just keep ervything else for spare parts.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well i bought a 3rd red 12, this one is a 4th quarter '52, the case isn't great and the red 12 is all but gone but it is working and has the correct hands, which i will put on the 3rd quarter '54 watch. I dont think the crown is correct but it looks alot more like an original crown so will use that to and then throw the rest together or just keep ervything else for spare parts.
Sounds great, keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Does anyone know if 12 Red Pobeda (2602 15 jewels 1954 movement) were also made at Tschistopolsky Watch Factory?
Yes, the "Red 12" Pobedas were produced by at least four factories: Penza, 1MWF, Chistopol, and ZIM.

Here's one Chistopol example which I believe is original, except for the stem/crown: Images for ID: 0979

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thank you, that is why I've asked:

I suppose the balance was changed at some moment (?) and the crown doesn't seem original either. By the way (as I didn't resist, nevertheless), what would look like an original crown on a 12 Red?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
Thank you, that is why I've asked:
I suppose the balance was changed at some moment (?) and the crown doesn't seem original either. By the way (as I didn't resist, nevertheless), what would look like an original crown on a 12 Red?
Beautiful piece, congrats.

I'm not so sure your watch isn't 100% original. The balance cock looks more "roughed up" than the rest of the bridges, but it seems the Geneva strips still align more or less. (Edit: Oh wait, is that a bald [non-studded] balance wheel? Then yeah, it's replaced.)

Watch Fashion accessory Metal

I also think this crown is original to the watch. Crowns are a source of considerable wear, as they are 1) manhandled (or womanhandled) literally every day as the user winds his/her watch, and 2) easily subject to be wear and tear as this part extends beyond the case and is the first cont come into contact with walls, tables, etc.

As far as I know, these Pobeda crowns, like the watch cases themselves, are usually chrome-plated brass, so as the chrome wears away, you are left with the gold-colored brass substrate. Since this particular crown looks almost form-fitted to the watch, that tells me it's been around for a very long time, slowly bending and deforming to match the shape of the case body.

TL;DR -- I think it's legit.

Originally, these crowns were as simple as they come, something like this:

Text Font Line Document Paper product

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

41 - 55 of 55 Posts