WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some prefer to deal with AD only but I personally do not mind grey market and their warranties, not to mention the amount of money you save.

I recently bought a Oris Diver SS in the blue dial and I love it; plenty of wear time. I've recently found the Oris Depth Gauge going for around 1700 USD brand new, I am very tempted to pull the trigger but not sure if it is too soon to spend another thousand or so on a watch. 1700 would you guys do it? Oris Depth Gauge.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
You won't get a lot of feedback on a thread just talking about gray market prices. I honestly don't know the specific forum rules regarding it, but we have sponsors and I think it's just bad taste. I've noticed that others seem to agree.

I'm not saying you're some kind of jerk or anything like that. I'm just suggesting that you possibly edit the post to be less specific about pricing and let it be more of a heft test, for lack of better words.

Try "model XX is twice the price of model YY. Is that a good deal?" Then it's all in relative terms and nobody gets their feelings hurt.

·
Banned
523 Posts
You'd be mad not too ericxd ...if, and providing, you're confident & comfortable re' the seller!

M.

PS: And yes, I agree largely with what Robotaz has said in his post.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You won't get a lot of feedback on a thread just talking about gray market prices. I honestly don't know the specific forum rules regarding it, but we have sponsors and I think it's just bad taste. I've noticed that others seem to agree.

I'm not saying you're some kind of jerk or anything like that. I'm just suggesting that you possibly edit the post to be less specific about pricing and let it be more of a heft test, for lack of better words.

Try "model XX is twice the price of model YY. Is that a good deal?" Then it's all in relative terms and nobody gets their feelings hurt.

I disagree. The grey market exists, many people use it, and AD"s offload merchandise to it, which is why it exists. There is no need to hide from that fact, or feeling ashamed for asking a reasonable question related to pricing or value of the grey market. It is clear that buying from an AD is different from buying from the grey market, and there are umpteen threads detailing these differences. However, there should be no need to have to hide one's interest or veil one's comments about a legally sold authentic watch in order to protect the business interests of AD's... Clearly, there will be people who want to buy from an AD regardless of what is discussed about the grey market.

·
Registered
13,948 Posts
I disagree. The grey market exists, many people use it, and AD"s offload merchandise to it, which is why it exists. There is no need to hide from that fact, or feeling ashamed for asking a reasonable question related to pricing or value of the grey market. It is clear that buying from an AD is different from buying from the grey market, and there are umpteen threads detailing these differences. However, there should be no need to have to hide one's interest or veil one's comments about a legally sold authentic watch in order to protect the business interests of AD's... Clearly, there will be people who want to buy from an AD regardless of what is discussed about the grey market.
You're clearly confused about who's paying the bills around here.

It's not about ADs vs gray market. It's about sponsors. Without sponsors we don't have the same forum experience. I knew bringing it up would bring out people wanting to argue, but so be it. Somebody has to do it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I bought Breitling and Hamilton from forum sponsor. Great prices, better than those reputable grey market dealers.

Give AD a chance, I've read many times that AD was willing to match grey market prices and sometimes can do better.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
523 Posts
Let's not get too embroiled in the 'source' issue - providing it's legal and legitimate. Lest we forget it's a free market!

I was more referring to the fact that not many forum members would perhaps comment on the actual price obtainable - which btw would make any UK buyer drool at the mouth in envy to be frank.

Rather... just buy the damn thing and enjoy one of the finest watches in it's price bracet and WELL BEYOND! I absolutely love mine ...as I'm sure Sticky does too :)

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts