WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it goes - I've been into watches and collecting for around 20 years. From Cartier to Certina and from Rolex to Sinn and many other brands I've owned, kept or flipped. My main prerequisite was that it HAD to be Swiss or at least a Swiss movement in a German watch.

Enter Bulova, yup you read correctly BULOVA! I read and watch reviews daily and I stumbled on the Bulova Devil Diver reissue and was intrigued. The intrigue lead to real interest and then stumbled on a new one for sale from a Watchuseek seller at a great price and what the hell, I bought it. The watch is nothing like I would buy and for gods sake it doesn't even hack! Miyota movement.... just not me at all. So, what was it that hooked me - FUN! I have analyzed the hell out of my purchases to no end and bought what I thought was the best of the best - in house or at the very least ETA, Sellita movements.

The Bulova Devil Diver is like nothing I've seen. The craziest color period! The entire case well polished the integrated rubber strap (changed it for a Tropic) and I just don't really have any interest in throwing it in on timegrapher, really don't care at all. The watch is pure fun that I really get a kick out of. Perfect size case (41mm) unique raised crystal lumed markers etc. and most importantly it's near spot on to the 1972 Devil Diver. Also, being a Marketer by profession I just love the bump up from 600 feet to 666 to market it as the Devil Diver.

In the end, I guess I forgot what fun it is to own a watch that makes me laugh a little while knowing that it's still a serious purposeful diver. All that I can leave you with is the word and meaning of the word FUN. Happy I made it back from being so serious all the time. There's a great review on ABTW that I think is spot on:

Analog watch Orange Amber Clock Watch

Guitar accessory Musical instrument Font Electronic musical instrument Gas

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Font Circle Audio equipment Wood Gauge

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bulova seems to have managed to put itself in the position of hiding a handful of gorgeous watches that should appeal to enthusiasts behind a wall of uninspiring "mall watches."

The devil diver reissues fit the former category, at least in my opinion. I think you're right: they're fun and cheeky, and really pretty faithful to the old school divers in a way that makes them somehow stand out from the majority of dive watches available today

·
Banned
58 Posts
I think what matters most is the FUN you derived from the purchase. If it makes you happy and gives satisfaction, then WHY NOT?
Congratulations on finding this path buddy. It's increasingly difficult to find with each day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a Timex Q Snoopy watch i wear with my daughter when she wears her snoopy watch - she finds it funny!.

And yes it gets a bit serious around the watch world and i thnk its easy for people to forget it doesnt always have to be about the specs I thnk you need a good mix of watches in a collection to enjoy them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Beautiful piece and a familiar story OP! Only been in to watches a few years but managed to build an ok collection of Tudor and Rolex. Happy with it but needed more color in the box. Didn’t want to spend the cash for another luxury watch. Discovered a couple small companies and picked up 2 new pieces. Definitely more fun! BTW very happy with both so far!
Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Light Azure Clock

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Bulova looks sturdy! I really like the deep orange dial.

I like to have fun with many things in life. Being serious is for other people. I look at watches as serious fun, in other words, I spend way too much on this hobby!

·
Registered
493 Posts
So here it goes - I've been into watches and collecting for around 20 years. From Cartier to Certina and from Rolex to Sinn and many other brands I've owned, kept or flipped. My main prerequisite was that it HAD to be Swiss or at least a Swiss movement in a German watch.

Enter Bulova, yup you read correctly BULOVA! I read and watch reviews daily and I stumbled on the Bulova Devil Diver reissue and was intrigued. The intrigue lead to real interest and then stumbled on a new one for sale from a Watchuseek seller at a great price and what the hell, I bought it. The watch is nothing like I would buy and for gods sake it doesn't even hack! Miyota movement.... just not me at all. So, what was it that hooked me - FUN! I have analyzed the hell out of my purchases to no end and bought what I thought was the best of the best - in house or at the very least ETA, Sellita movements.

The Bulova Devil Diver is like nothing I've seen. The craziest color period! The entire case well polished the integrated rubber strap (changed it for a Tropic) and I just don't really have any interest in throwing it in on timegrapher, really don't care at all. The watch is pure fun that I really get a kick out of. Perfect size case (41mm) unique raised crystal lumed markers etc. and most importantly it's near spot on to the 1972 Devil Diver. Also, being a Marketer by profession I just love the bump up from 600 feet to 666 to market it as the Devil Diver.

In the end, I guess I forgot what fun it is to own a watch that makes me laugh a little while knowing that it's still a serious purposeful diver. All that I can leave you with is the word and meaning of the word FUN. Happy I made it back from being so serious all the time. There's a great review on ABTW that I think is spot on:

View attachment 16203360
View attachment 16203362
View attachment 16203363
View attachment 16203361
Love the devil diver!! Have three color ways…great fun watches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
As a professing Christian I cannot wear this watch nor support anything that's got "devil" on it... I'm kidding of course. Great looking watch with an amazing design. Bulova has been on a roll lately. And a good reminder for us to remember to have fun in all of this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts