WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pretty sure the last three consecutive Baselworld offerings have been met with the same collective "Aw man...it's too big.*" There was a trend 10ish years ago where watches were steadily (sneakily, rather) growing in size, and the industry was playing along. They ditched mascots like golfers and swimmers, and filled their rosters with Stallones and Schwarzeneggers. EVERY line included a massive dive watch, and even trend-resistant Rolex presented an updated Sea Dweller the world universally critiqued as too fat for most hands.* Then it started getting ridiculous. 44mm was no longer oversized, 47mm was. Oris debuted the ProDiver at 51mm. Panerai countered with the frighteningly humungous* Egiziano. I would have liked to have believed this would have been a red flag for the industry, but impressively large* watches JUST. KEPT. COMING.*

Incredibly, every single person I talked to hated the trend. No one liked it - NO ONE. Even my bodybuilder friends called them clownish and stayed around the 44mm range. Especially on the forums here, everyone seemed in general agreement AGAINST large watches. TW Steel and U-Boat were jokes, as were the "Oh theirs are getting bigger? OURS must get bigger!*" brands that rely heavily on copying everyone else's trends. The largest complaint from every review was "too big.*" And so it stands to reason the the industry would follow suit: no one likes big watches anymore, except those who like the clown brands (no offense and more power to you - you're probably three times my size) and discerning WIS everywhere have a unified cry: Size DOES matter - and bigger hasn't proved any better.*

Right? I mean, that's where we're at? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, but even VERY attentive brands are still pushing out monster-sized watches (lookin' at you, Lum-Tec). Where is the demand for this? Who is ordering these? My giant non-Wis friends have no interest and I haven't read a PRO-giant-watch WIS post since 2009. But I can still turn on Xpendables 2 and find THE ENTIRE CAST rocking 47mm watches made of BRONZE. So what gives? Can we all finally agree the big watch trend is over and be done with it? No one liked it in the first place except that it was "cool." But I don't install neon lights under my car anymore, I don't think it's ok to tie my flannel around my waist as a statement, and athletic women have far and away taken the definition of "sexy" from wafer-thin supermodels. Stuff that used to be cool isn't anymore, so can we just wash our hands of these giant atrocities? I'm not saying 40mm should be the new 50mm, but we could have stopped at 45, EASILY. Almost every watch that's hot at 45mm has a 42mm version that's just as hot and actually fits under a cuff/into a pocket/behind the g.d. fridge when I drop something back there.

End the madness. Death to giants. Let's take these colossal SOB's down already.*

*That's what she said. There. Now you don't have to post it. :p

Screen Shot 2013-02-05 at 8.04.56 AM.png
Me at Baselworld 2009 during the Oris ProDiver release.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
View attachment 961849
Me at Baselworld 2009 during the Oris ProDiver release.
You must have twigs for wrists :-d. My Prodiver suits me just fine.

Just playing with you. It all comes down to what fits your wrist and what the intended purpose is. My dress watches are all between 38-40mm, my general wear watches are between 40-44mm tops (42 is the sweet spot). I have a limited number that are larger than that, and they tend to be divers that, yes, I actually use in the ocean.

Me and my largest watch (Oris Prodiver). Big, but certainly not clownish on my wrist.

IMG-20130121-00519_s.jpg

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
simply: "no" :-D
people will still buy those ultra huge watches, just because they give nothing on the opinion of others
(they maybe shouldt sometimes)

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
As far as I can tell, most non WIS I know prefer small and cheap watches if they wear anything at all. There's one guy who's an exception and he wears what looks like a 44-45mm watch.

That said, someone is buying them. I can only assume that there are places where the locals want their watch to stand out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The mantra keeps on.
Unless you are terribly fat, you don`t have an excuse for wearing a watch larger than 42mm, as the ideal is 40mm and below.

I think the industry should get over with the thick trend as well. 10mm is more than enough

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
The mantra keeps on.
Unless you are terribly fat, you don`t have an excuse for wearing a watch larger than 42mm, as the ideal is 40mm and below.

I think the industry should get over with the thick trend as well. 10mm is more than enough
I'm willing to accept 12-13mm on divers.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Yes, the 60 year trend of watches getting bigger has finally come to an end. It is finally the time that we will all toss aside our oversized Submariners and Speedmasters and Seamasters and return to a sensible size of 32-34mm from when men were men; men who smoked indoors, wore hats, and cheated on their wives with no remorse.

When will other horrible fads die? Internal combustion engines? Fie on them! Give me a good horse any day. Buildings of concrete held together by cement? Leaves and branches kept in place by dried mud, please. E-mail? The internet? Online message boards!? What can they do that a good old fashioned smoke signal can't? Look east at the next break in the clouds for my posts, gentlemen! Unless you live further east than I do, then look west! Or north if you're directly below me! And if you're north of me, then you'll probably find yourself freezing to death, so wait for the summer!

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Depends on what you define as over sized. Some people think anything over 42mm is over sized and a fad. I think 44 to 46 is the sweet spot and over sized is 49+.
said best ! +1 agreed. But my sweet spot is 45-48mm

Reactions: jc-shock

·
Registered
50 Posts
Depends on what you define as over sized. Some people think anything over 42mm is over sized and a fad. I think 44 to 46 is the sweet spot and over sized is 49+.
That's were I stand too. I wouldn't even think about the size if I were to buy a PO Big Size. A friend of mine recently purchased a 52mm Oozoo though and it looked way too big even for my taste.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My opinion is that you should wear watch that suits your wrist size, and because of that there are no too small or too large watches!
So instead of stopping the trend of oversized watches, I would like for more brands to do what Omega does and make different sizes of their models so everyone can have one that suits them!

I for instance have a small wrist but love the Orient saturation diver, however I will never buy one because it simply too big for my wrist! But I'm not saying it's too big and general, if you know what I mean!

So my message to watch industry is: make every model in at least two sizes so we can all enjoy different designs and styles!!!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Just don't respond to the next "Is the Big Watch Fad Over?" thread and hopefully they'll disappear.

Oh, wait -- I already did. And it didn't...

Time to pull out my 32 mm 1952 Hamilton from the watch box...NOT!

·
Banned
811 Posts
I have 8" wrists, so a 40mm Rolex looks ridiculous on me. The Marathon JSAR that I wear at work is a 46.6mm, the Eco-Zillas I have are 48mm. I have a Sea Dweller, which is barely 44mm and I consider it small. It is entirely preference, but in my opinion, there is nothing worse than seeing a tiny watch on a big wrist!!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Someone should keep a daily tally of how many times this god awful utterly stupid thread pops up. Where judgemental morons go on and on declaring the right size for everyone's wrist, and declaring men with large watches fat idiots.

My gigantic 45mm Hamilton says hi, and invites you to shove this thread up your undersized cavity.

uploadfromtaptalk1360086078208.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 113 Posts