WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I came across the Flying Dutchman Special Edition on the internet I immediately knew this would be my next watch. It precisely fulfilled my complete expectations of a watch, both in design and in terms of specifications. As if you suddenly realize, by seeing the watch, you always wanted it. Like love at first sight. It took a while before I had enough money saved up, but last Thursday the moment was finally there. I went to Utrecht (the Netherlands) to pick up the Flying Dutchman Special Edition at Hubert Pellikaan himself.

The watch is the nr. three in a limited edition of ten pieces. Nice to mention is that when I told mr. Pellikaan that I was really fond of the blue screws used in another model, he suggested to replace the metallic screws in my model for the blue ones, and thereby creating a unique and personalized special edition. Obviously, I’m very thankful for that. The watch feels very solid and robust and radiates quality. The dial is adorned with its simplicity and is classically styled, but with a modern touch. The hands, in the style of Breguet, are equipped with superluminova. I don’t think I have ever seen that in a watch before. The small second is at six and below that are the words ‘DUTCH MADE’. The design of the dial makes the time very easy to read.

PellikaantimingSpecialEdition6.jpg

The case is made of 316L stainless steel and has a diameter of 45 mm and a height of 12.5 mm. So it is a big watch that makes it, due to the big crown, a bit reminiscent of the Air Force watches from the '40s such as IWC. The case is equipped with anti-reflective sapphire glass on both sides. The strap is made of leather and is 22 mm wide at the base. The color of the band matches very well with the case and the dial. Moreover, there is a nato-strap to come (see photos).

The watch is powered by the wonderful PT2 ¾ caliber. A Dutch development based on an ETA 6498. The movement is gilded and has a ¾ platine with swan neck fine-tuning. The movement is mainly due to the ¾ platine a bit like a simplistic implementation of a Dornblüth movement, such as the 99.0.

PellikaantimingSpecialEdition1.jpg

The watch has a pricelabel of 1600 euros, which makes it difficult to compare with other watches with the same specifications. The Pellikaan is significantly more expensive than the pilot watches of Steinhart and Archimede, but in terms of appearance and finish these watches are in no way comparable to the Pellikaan. The Special Edition has much more of the elegance (and specifications) of, for example, a Panerai 111, but price wise it is less than half the price of the Panerai.

If I look at other watches within the same price range as the Pellikaan, I think of Meistersinger and (to a lesser extent) Sinn or Longines. The beauty of the Special Edition however, comes from the fact that it is a highly exclusive handmade product from The Netherlands, which radiates passion and craftsmanship.

The finish is magnificent, however I did catch him on a minor flaw. The placement of the luminova on the hands is not completely accurate in some places. Personally I reckon this is the charm of a handmade watch.

If you are looking for something exclusive with a great look with an interesting story, this truly is the watch you need. I love the Pellikaan and I am very satisfied with it. I catch myself far too often looking at the watch, without knowing what time it is.

Some more photos:

PellikaantimingSpecialEdition3.jpg

PellikaantimingSpecialEdition5.jpg
PellikaantimingSpecialEdition2.jpg

PellikaantimingSpecialEdition4.jpg

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the same model just without this fancy gold color on the movement. Can agree with all your words. Also the lume is very nice, especially when you drive into a underground garage from a sunny day - it shines like a star then:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts