WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to dig through the many posts in this section of the forum but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for and everyone here seems very helpful and knowledgable so here it goes...

I mostly wear automatic watches. I usually have my Bremont MB II on daily and I have an Omega Seamaster GMT. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for G-Shocks and think it would be the perfect time to add one. I'm very active outdoors in Florida and I travel a good amount of time and I would hate to beat my nice watches too much so I'm looking for a tuff as nails watch for outdoor fun.

I think two things that are important to me are solar power and atomic syncing. Since I do travel, I would love to have a watch that would tell me my home time and local time simultaneously. There seem to be so many options that are close but I'm very much a newb on digital watches. I would also consider a Pathfinder if it does what I need.

What say you?

Tom

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Tom,
If you only require the three functions you mentioned: tough solar, atomic syncing, and dual time display, I wouldn't go with the Pathfinder.
This is because, for a very subjective reason, I don't find the Pathfinder aesthetically pleasing.
If you also share this sentiment, why don't you just go with whichever g-shock that looks best to you - since most g-shocks have the functions you want. (Perhaps with the exception of atomic syncing)
If you like a good-looking outdoorsy g-shock, I would recommend the new men in military mudman or riseman. They look fantastic as outdoor watches to me, are comfortable, and are not as bulky and awkward as the Pathfinder.
680088d1334358258-what-do-you-have-incoming-part-2-img58583046.jpg G-9200ER-3_l.jpg

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
The Mudman (GW-9300) is as tough as they come, not too big and has all you need, with the bonus of a compass.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The GW9200 Riseman has solar, atomic, world time and home time in all modes except Alti, Alti Rec.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Since you are looking for atomic/solar, I would also say the GW-9200 Riseman is the best option going the G road without breaking your bank (The GW-9300 Mudman is quite expensive). You might also want to take a look at the Pathfinder/Protrek series which often are also atomic/solar and usually show other time zones and current time at once.

cheers

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Boy-o that earth tone Riseman looks SOOOOO cool!

Hi Tom,
If you only require the three functions you mentioned: tough solar, atomic syncing, and dual time display, I wouldn't go with the Pathfinder.
This is because, for a very subjective reason, I don't find the Pathfinder aesthetically pleasing.
If you also share this sentiment, why don't you just go with whichever g-shock that looks best to you - since most g-shocks have the functions you want. (Perhaps with the exception of atomic syncing)
If you like a good-looking outdoorsy g-shock, I would recommend the new men in military mudman or riseman. They look fantastic as outdoor watches to me, are comfortable, and are not as bulky and awkward as the Pathfinder.
View attachment 812379 View attachment 812381

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you are considering non-digital options, the Giez line can fill your needs.
GS-1150-1A.jpg
Hard to argue with the Riseman, too....

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
The Geiz line is very nice, but is composed of higher end watches you probably wouldn't want to get beaten up. Get an atomic Solar 5600 series and forget about it. These are tough, discrete, have the functions you asked for and are small enough not to get in the way when dealing with backpacks etc. It'd also draw little attention to you in train stations and public places, reducing the risk of theft/muggings.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
NeeGo 5426255 said:
View attachment 812730
+2 on the Giez rrecommendation, if you're travelling for business purposes and you need a little more upscale business casual look. GW1300 or GW1400 work well. Analog package with pretty much all the same features as a standard digital GShock: 24hr CDT, world time, stop watch, alarm, dual time, solar atomic, and you can swap the 2nd time zone with the primary one with the push of a button. They are a bit pricey compared to standard digital solar atomics

But you may not mind the price based on your current watches.

If you like the idea of the analog Giez but would rather spend a little less there is the GW2000 series which essentially has the same module and 5 Motor tech. I have that one and it's amazing. It is my travel watch.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
NeeGo 5426255 said:
View attachment 812730
+2 on the Giez rrecommendation, if your travelling for business purposes and you need a little more upscale business casual look. GS1300 or GS1400 work well. Analog package with pretty much all the same features as a standard digital GShock: 24hr CDT, world time, stop watch, alarm, dual time, solar atomic, and you can swap the 2nd time zone with the primary one with the push of a button. They are a bit pricey compared to standard digital solar atomics

But you may not mind the price based on your current watches.

If you like the idea of the analog Giez but would rather spend a little less there is the GW2000 series which essentially has the same module and 5 Motor tech. I have that one and it's amazing. It is my travel watch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
GW-M5610 could be an option. Doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Mudman or Riseman but has got atomic and solar. World time is only 1 button press away.
It's thin, light, tough, does the job.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

I nearly bought this watch last week- it's very nice. But in the end I decided its a bit busy for me. A non chronograph version with bold clear numbers and strong hands would be ideal for those who ony want one watch

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I nearly bought this watch last week- it's very nice. But in the end I decided its a bit busy for me. A non chronograph version with bold clear numbers and strong hands would be ideal for those who ony want one watch
Hmmmm...I normally like clean 3 handers myself...but this one is actually easy to read. At least for me it is. And the cool thing about the GW2000, unlike a normal chrono, the other subdials aren't just for timing things for a stopwatch. 9 oclock dial is the mode and day indicator (points the day during time keeping mode, and also points to which mode you are in when you hit the mode button), 3 oclock dial is to display 2nd timezone during time keeping mode, but also acts as the time setting hands when setting the CDT and alarm, and the 6 oclock dial is a 24 hr indicator.

There's also the GW2500, the anidigi brother of the GW2000 that would also make a good travel watch too. I had a tough time decided between these 2, when I was getting ready to purchase. Went all analog just because I loved the way the dial looked. GW2500 is definitely less cluttered though, since all the functions display on the digital displays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts