WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - I'm officially hooked. In the space of just six months I've bought 4 damn-expensive watches - and it's all your fault! :-d

I just stumbled across the Panerai forum and had to make a quick escape (not before making a mental note of the PAM 00161 :roll: ;-) ) but it got me thinking...

I like Omega and Breitling. I like smart looking, functional tool watches. So, what would you recommend - stick with O and B or try out another flavour? I think Rolex is pretty much out unless I can be convinced otherwise. Let's see your pics! :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am not a big fan of rolex and pam (had both for a few months and sold them to buy B's)

I havent had the pleasure of owning a "speedy' yet.. but I am sure I will own one someday , so thats when I will make up my mind about Omega's

lately I am more and more interested in 809's and 806's , having been a B fan for at least 20 years, and Navitimer fan for the last few years , my interest shifted from 'modern' Navi's to Vintage Navi / Cosmo's

I say, buy and collect what makes you 'tick', you're the one wearing them and that is what you should buy and wear (I still have my dad's Seiko Quartz, and wear it sometimes as well and i keep it in good shape)

next week i am picking this one (similar to this) up. Nice 806 with silver AOPA wing and I still respect people that wear PAM's and Rolex, as long as they have some clue of what they wear , and why :)

Rgds
-Rene

p.s. when you finally do get your first 806 or 809 .. show pics !!! *lol* :-d

·
Registered
719 Posts
i'm not a omega fan at all, but i'm definitely a fan of the other two mentioned. you can't go wrong with a pam or a breitling. in fact, i would stronly suggest getting one of each lol. rolex is a solid watch, there is no question there, but it's pretty average. everyone has a rolex, so go with something different. i haven't worn my rolex in two years lol.

Ok - I'm officially hooked. In the space of just six months I've bought 4 damn-expensive watches - and it's all your fault! :-d

I just stumbled across the Panerai forum and had to make a quick escape (not before making a mental note of the PAM 00161 :roll: ;-) ) but it got me thinking...

I like Omega and Breitling. I like smart looking, functional tool watches. So, what would you recommend - stick with O and B or try out another flavour? I think Rolex is pretty much out unless I can be convinced otherwise. Let's see your pics! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

Wel, the only Rolex I like is this:

http://www.alexandrematti.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/rolex.jpg

Btw - I had two Breitlings in less than six months...and it's my own fault !!!!:-d ;-)

Panerai might be very good, but personally, I really don't like the look.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really like Speedmasters. If you get a chance try one on at a local shop. They're very ergonomically sound and very much a tool watch. I would own a Breitling if I could have only one watch, though. but since you've got one of those, get a speedy! :-!

I don't like Rolexes as much. They are okay, and I owned a sea-dweller. It was a VERY solid watch, and I admire the construction. But one word: boring. I got bored with it and I wanted more complication, and I sold it for a couple hundred less than I bought it for, years after I paid full price at an AD. It holds its value well. I find that most of those who own them -- not all, but most -- don't know jack about watches. They just want a nice watch and buy a brand name.

If you like solid tool watches, check out Bell & Ross and Sinn in addition to Omega. B&R started out with movements made by Sinn. That's why a lot of the older ones (including mine) say "Bell & Ross by Sinn." Now they are two separate brands. B&R is now more expensive than Sinn.
cheers,
flyby

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was more obsessed with Panerai two or three years ago - even had a 127. Still really like them, but I do think that, like Rolex, they are overpriced... at least Rolex makes their own movements. All that said, I would still recommend one if you have the means. They are not that common, and only a fellow WIS will know the brand, but I do get questions and comments. I have yet to see someone else with one around here, and I do enjoy that. I like the simple PAMs, so the 161, while beautiful, is a bit too much for me.

As for Omega, I have an SMPC and am interested in a "speedy". The SMP is a tank, and would also recommend it. I am also looking into some vintage Omegas.

I never had any issues with either, so I can't tell you how service will treat you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: I love my B-1 but you can't go wrong adding one of these....

Iv owned more omegas than i care to admit. I first started with speedmasters and got really fascinated with the schumacker line. After some time I had to go back to wearing diver watches so i got a whole bunch of seamaster. I love omegas, they make solid and very very precise timepieces so you cant go wrong. Rolex, i cant stand, Many years ago when i first started collecting, i fell into the rolex line and thank God but that broke away quickly, The seadweller and submariner were my favorite but that didnt stay long. Rolex makes nice watches but they cant hold a lick compared to other brands. the funny thing is that out of all the brands iv owned, Breitling is the only brand that i insist upon. There watches are top notch and have the looks to fit in any circumstance, meetings, weddings, and everyday wear.

My advice, dont buy anything. Wait until your completely sure. Look around do some research and check and check. Only after all that, purchase something. Any person who has bought watches for years and years will tell you that we all made expensive mistakes. We bought watches we thought and swore that we would love. We even tried them on. But after we received the watch and after a month of wearing, i ended up not likeing it. So it looks nice on paper and looks nice even on first try but on extensive wear, the watch just didnt make it. Oh well.

Emil

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I bought something the other day but I quite liked these as well.

Any thoughts on an

Airboss Mach 6

or a
Speedmaster Day Date

But then when you see what I bought :), you'll understand why I didn't go for either of these.

Oh, Grenchen post. Hurry up.:roll:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts