WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned one diver's watch and that was only because it was included in another purchase. I don't care for the style too much, but based on my reading here and elsewhere, I'm definitely in the minority. What is it about that style of watch that makes it so popular?

·
Registered
133 Posts
My personal take is that they tend to make better tool watches but that’s not necessarily the rule. I’m into the look as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
929 Posts
I would think that in today's world most of us wear watches as jewelry at least as much as, and perhaps more than, tools. As such, the aesthetics might be more important than in the days when one wore a watch almost universally as a tool. The large, decorated bezels, copious amounts of lume, dramatic hands and several iconic marker styles can work some powerful visual magic.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I guess they fit my personal style? I work with my hands, electrician by trade(hmmmm, dive, water, electricity), tool watches are more to my liking.

My watches run the gamut, hitting most categories. 4 divers, 2 pilots, 1 field, 2 dual times, 1 chrono and a g-shock. Conspicuously absent is a dress watch.

Carl Brutananadilewski would definitely wear a diver. But it'd be gold.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Diver's are great vacation watches and I find I appreciate my watches the most during vacation..

I think basic waterproof-ness is all that's necessary but people like the ruggedness that diver's entail and it's duality for dress + outdoors vs. if you have a dress watch without screw-down crown, you're limited to just office wear and can't really take it on a beach vacation due to lack of waterproof-ness.

So that's my take on it... but to each their own. Bell bottoms were a thing too but we can all see that's been out for some time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great points already said. I will add that there are always enough interesting elements that come together -- different hour and minute hands, multiple different hour indices all on one watch, fun rotating bezel with the added look of number around the edge. After getting used to having these areas of interest, it's sometimes hard to get excited about something like a dress watch or simple 3-hander.

I don't know if it's something that many people think about when they pick them up, but I like how the width of a rotating bezel means that the crystal is a smaller diameter in proportion to the case. Feels a lot less fussy than something like a Bauhaus watch.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
There is no doubt that dive watches project an image that is very attractive to men even if it does not represent their reality. Dive watches give a hint of action and adventure that guys just love. I'm certainly not afraid to admit that - I love them and what they represent.

·
Registered
254 Posts
People like divers for a variety of factors:
  • trendy. we have the successful marketing of the Submariner to thank for that. a dive watch, within certain reason, is acceptable for casual and semi-formal settings. "from the boardroom to the beach" as the cool-aid goes...
  • manliness. you may laugh at this, because a lot of people (consciously or subconsciously) seek out products with masculine vibes. and nothing says manly than dive watches. "why would i want a dress watch? i don't want anything associated with the word 'dress' ".
  • fear. the water resistance rating of watches is a confusing hot mess. you can blame the collective watch industry for that. so people get a diver to play it safe.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I find the timing bezel useful, I time all sorts of things with it (boiling pasta, walks/runs, etc.) I wear a watch to bed, and the lume lets me see the time in the dark. I like not having to worry at all about exposure to water.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have accepted that Dive watches are my favorite watch. It is my exclusive work watch because I do equipment repair. I own several watches that are dressy, buy I only wear them on the weekends if I am not doing a project, or in the evening if I go out. I feel more justified with a dive watch purchase since I will actually wear it as opposed to adding more dress watches.
In addition, I genuinely love the looks. The lume, the bezel, it is my favorite to just look at and fiddle with.

·
Registered
844 Posts
1 Works for active lifestyle.
2. Works fow evening out.
3. Can go with you on any adventure.
4. Right watch looks total badass.
5. Bond vibe ?!!!

Somebody posted on WUS epic photo with dive watch and hammerheads in background.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Most of my watches are divers, because I love having the rotating bezel for a variety of uses. Time the hike started, time I set the glue in the press, cooking, etc. To me that's almost half the usability of the watch, to not just tell time but to time specific increments.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I prefer the military look in general so a mil type diver does it for me over anything else. Nothing fancy just black dial with good lume and a proper rotating bezel.

Reactions: Griff_Doge

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love diver style watches because i actually use the rotating bezel. Its so handy and yet so simple to operate. Chronograph dials are too clutter and many of them are one hour timing, which i find it to be useless to me because its so hard to see the little indicies on an already small sub dial. I preferred 30 minute chronographs, but my first option would be a diver bezel. My breaks and lunches for my job changes everyday, so i use the bezel to time them everytime. So useful.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've owned one diver's watch and that was only because it was included in another purchase. I don't care for the style too much, but based on my reading here and elsewhere, I'm definitely in the minority. What is it about that style of watch that makes it so popular?
For most of us, the extreme water resistance of a diver is academic, however, a proper diver is built like a brick sh1thouse, which makes it an excellent “GADA” or tool watch. Personally, I dived for many years, and a proper diver remains the only type of watch that makes any sense to me. I see absolutely no point to a watch that isn’t waterproof, ruggedly built and clearly legible under any conditions. And I genuinely use the time-elapse bezel sometimes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to be a little anti-diver thinking they were like all the school mums driving very capable Range Rovers just for school drop-off, particularly the extreme water resistance ratings that 99% of people never need. Also don't care for the cult of the Sub which I've seen a few being worn solely as office willy waving status symbols.

However, I have come to find that the divers timing bezel is the function that I actually use in the real world, much more practical than a tiny chronograph register. So I like them now, but not so much those 500m rated, helium escape valve, 18mm thick monsters that are worn for an adventure to the coffee shop.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I like to know a watch has decent water resistance, so i only buy watches with a WR rating of 100mtrs & above.
But i mainly buy divers purely because i like the style & look of these watches.

·
Registered
21,847 Posts
I have one of those really deep slipper baths so 3atm WR is just no good for me!!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I was long not a fan of the diver. I felt like the bezel looked like an inner tube around the dial and really didn't understand their appeal.

Then I bought one (SKX007), and I don't know why, I just really liked the way it looked on my wrist. I think it still has to be the right bezel (thinner the better, matte not glossy) for me to really like the watch, but the dive bezel just adds another element where brands can add some style, and really makes the watch look more tough/sporty/tool-like.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts