WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought wearing a metal band watch was a big no-no with a tux? But here's Prince William in his famous Omega:

article-2012983-0CF19E2B00000578-48_964x1404.jpg

And Prince Harry with what looks to be a Breitling Emergency?

rs_634x1024-131007143551-634.prince-harry-forget-me-not-dinner.mh.100713.jpg

I can just imagine the Watch Snob going nuts.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
You'd be surprised how many guys don't really care what the Mr. Blackwells of the world think of their ensemble.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They make the rules.

If you don't agree you'll find yourself taking a trip to the Tower of London.
TBH I had not even heard that rule that you shouldn't wear a steel band watch with a Tux until recently, and just amongst the WIS crowd. Just goes to show most people don't care.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
TBH I had not even heard that rule that you shouldn't wear a steel band watch with a Tux until recently, and just amongst the WIS crowd. Just goes to show most people don't care.
In theory you're not supposed to wear anything more than a pure dress watch (two-hander, no arabic numerals) on a black strap.

In reality, nobody really knows or cares nowadays, though I'm surprised that the Royals aren't adhering to this rule. They, more than anybody, are confined by protocol and strict codes of conduct (maybe less so for Harry ;-)). It's the small price they pay for the lifestyle they were born into.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Well, you probably shouldn't be wearing a watch with a tuxedo at all because, in an environment like that, you want to emphasize that there's really no other place that you'd want to be.

As has been discussed before, apparently William received that particular watch from his mother so it has special meaning and Harry, well, Harry has always shown his independent streak when it comes to clothing and, um, various uniforms.

Bracelets are usually considered less formal than straps but there's no hard and fast rule about what goes exactly with what. As with anything though, there are traditions and they evolve over time. If you're going to break with tradition, you can either break it purposefully or out of ignorance. Usually, nobody will suspect a thing either way.

That's it! I'm inspired! I'm doing the Seamaster with a suit tomorrow and my repressed curmudgeonly nature be damned!

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
In theory you're not supposed to wear anything more than a pure dress watch (two-hander, no arabic numerals) on a black strap.

In reality, nobody really knows or cares nowadays, though I'm surprised that the Royals aren't adhering to this rule. They, more than anybody, are confined by protocol and strict codes of conduct (maybe less so for Harry ;-)). It's the small price they pay for the lifestyle they were born into.
absolutely James-Bond.jpg

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Bond has always been the exception that proves the rule (I'm assuming that photo was taken as promotional material with Daniel Craig as James Bond).

Like I said, nobody really cares. Personally, if I was ever invited to a black-tie event, I'd want to observe the rules for the sake of interest. I don't believe in enforcing strict codes of conduct in most cases, but neither do I approve of being intentionally gauche.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Bond has always been the exception that proves the rule (I'm assuming that photo was taken as promotional material with Daniel Craig as James Bond).

Like I said, nobody really cares. Personally, if I was ever invited to a black-tie event, I'd want to observe the rules for the sake of interest. I don't believe in enforcing strict codes of conduct in most cases, but neither do I approve of being intentionally gauche.
actually thats Daniel Craig going out on the town two years prior to the James Bond role! -yes thats entirely promotional , in the film proper he is wearing a Citizen stunt double

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
actually thats Daniel Craig going out on the town two years prior to the James Bond role! -yes thats entirely promotional , in the film proper he is wearing a Citizen stunt double
Wasn't he an ambassador for Rolex at that time though? In which case it would make sense to wear that watch (Again, assuming it was a MilGauss? I thought so but couldn't make it out in the photos.)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
And Prince Harry with what looks to be a Breitling Emergency? [ATTACH=CONFIG said:
1541362[/ATTACH]

I can just imagine the Watch Snob going nuts.
Looks like a regular ol aerospace to me. I think that would look decent with a tux. Didn't know there were rules. I have a sneaking suspicion these guys love breaking rules:)

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Prince William can wear whatever he wants, everyone is looking at Kate anyway :)

I think they are a great couple, and she's the bomb...best wishes to them & whatever watch they wear |>

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Looks like a regular ol aerospace to me. I think that would look decent with a tux. Didn't know there were rules. I have a sneaking suspicion these guys love breaking rules:)
If you think it looks great, then go for it (assuming it fits under a cuff).

The general perception is that wearing a sports watch with a tux is like wearing a tux to fix your car. A time and a place for everything.

I never knew the rules before joining here either, look what I wore for my wedding:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
If you think it looks great, then go for it (assuming it fits under a cuff).

The general perception is that wearing a sports watch with a tux is like wearing a tux to fix your car. A time and a place for everything.

I never knew the rules before joining here either, look what I wore for my wedding:

Ditto, screw the rules
DSCN1392.JPG

1 - 20 of 71 Posts