WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read online recently that a woman was asked her opinion of G Shocks and her answer was something like ' g shocks are worn by boys and real men wear real watches.

This has got me thinking..... has the never ending collaborations with "urban street wear designers" changed the public's perception of what a G Shock is/was from what, as a 53 year old male, I consider is a tough work/activities watch, to teenage kids fashion accessory?

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
I can't really speak with any authority about the public's perception of G-Shocks.
I suppose most, I would assume, see them as tough, reliable and decent value for money. :think:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We have a slack channel at work for sharing online deals. I posted a great deal for a g5600e and got a few replies like "that's a kids watch" or "I had one when I was a teen but now I have a real watch". If I was Casio I'd put in some marketing effort to change this point of view.

Reactions: HiggsBoson

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
I'm 43 and stopped caring a long time ago what other people think about my choices. Besides, most people don't notice much around them that doesn't involve themselves... I could wear a Rolex, a G-shock, or a dead hamster on my wrist and most would never know the difference.
I don't really care what people think of the watch I'm wearing.
However, out of these, my students comment on my Rolex the most!

Attachments

Reactions: flu and stockae92

·
Registered
9,267 Posts
We have a slack channel at work for sharing online deals. I posted a great deal for a g5600e and got a few replies like "that's a kids watch" or "I had one when I was a teen but now I have a real watch". If I was Casio I'd put in some marketing effort to change this point of view.

Yup, totally agree with this. Buy hey, Casio must surely know what they are doing, marketing wise??!! :think:

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my humble amateur opinion, being 29, there are plenty of more active occasions that you could wear a G-Shock where it would be functional and the tough look with playful colours would look absolutely great. In these case I would consider wearing a Rolex (or a watch in that category) either stupid or show-offish

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice watch, what is it? Reverso. Never heard of it, who makes them? JLC. How much did you pay? 5000. WHAT??? You could have bought a Rolex!! Who cares about public perception. I wear what I like, and everyone should. Opinion is like an a..hole, everybody has one...

·
Banned
144 Posts
I've always liked and had Casios as a kid and teenager. As I got older I started to appreciate automatics, but have always been frustrated by the accuracy compared to quartz; I had a Seiko SKX0013 and couldn't believe how many seconds it would lose/gain.....so much so that the naive me thought it must be a fake.

The SKX movement gave up after about 5 years and so I dug out my faithful old Casio terrorist watch; reliable and much more accurate. I stuck with it for years until I stumbled across the G-steel range. Seemed ideal for me! Impressive appearance like an Automatic, with all the practicality of a G-shock. I had to have it.

My my brother has always been into g-shocks but I never truely saw the appeal; having got my G-steel I'm now starting to really like G-shocks. So much so I've just ordered this:

IMG_2792.JPG

I still love automatics and want to want to get an SKX009 and a Rolex Submariner. Think I've been bitten by the watch bug now.

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
I read online recently that a woman was asked her opinion of G Shocks and her answer was something like ' g shocks are worn by boys and real men wear real watches.

This has got me thinking..... has the never ending collaborations with "urban street wear designers" changed the public's perception of what a G Shock is/was from what, as a 53 year old male, I consider is a tough work/activities watch, to teenage kids fashion accessory?

So.......you're now concerned about how the public views g-shocks based on the opinion of some random woman who is clearly an uninformed twit? :-s Seriously?? Does her opinion of g-shocks affect your perception of yourself?

Who gives a *$#* what the public's perception of g-shocks is?

Speaking of Casio's collaboration with the urban street wear crowd though, I don't think that fits with reality for "most" users of g-shocks. It's just that it plays better in promotional materials than boring office workers sitting in cubicles wearing g-shocks... ;-)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
G-SHOCK is a watch to wear whilst getting $#!% done. Who cares what it looks like? It keeps time well and is durable.

That &*^% sounds like she wouldn't know how to change a toilet flange. Or does 2 gun drills for fun. Or just putters around outside for $#!%$ and giggles. You know who does? Me. And guess what I wear?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It has been said great many time in this forum: if somebody judges you by the watch you wear, you don't want to be associated with that person. That said, in my experience public perception of G-Shock is utter indifference. "Oh, its a Casio. Nice." If the topic carries on, they're usually amazed by the technology cramped into such a little package. Casio doesn't engage in active marketing in my country (or I haven't seen any evidence on it), so as for the general public, there is no palpable perception.

I've gotten more comments on the Astron I wear maybe once or twice in a fortnight than on the Gs I wear everyday. I couldn't care less, in love my Gs.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I'm guessing, most people wouldn't even know what a 'G Shock' is! Sometimes it's easy to forget that on this forum, we live in a bubble absorbed by G Shocks and watches in general, the public couldn't give a dam...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It has been said great many time in this forum: if somebody judges you by the watch you wear, you don't want to be associated with that person. That said, in my experience public perception of G-Shock is utter indifference. "Oh, its a Casio. Nice." If the topic carries on, they're usually amazed by the technology cramped into such a little package. Casio doesn't engage in active marketing in my country (or I haven't seen any evidence on it), so as for the general public, there is no palpable perception.

I've gotten more comments on the Astron I wear maybe once or twice in a fortnight than on the Gs I wear everyday. I couldn't care less, in love my Gs.
Don't forget Miklos, your mother-in-law does not like your Rangeman! Sounds like even more reason to like it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I,ve owned literally dozens of high end auto divers,R**lex,Breitling,Heuer,Oris,and of course many Seiko variants.in all that time recieved two compliments,one on an invicta 9047 blue dial and Seiko SRP789 Coke turtle.most of my collection now is numbered at around 50 watches,mostly G-Shock vintage and modern.at 55 I could give a rats fandango what the non WUS public thinks since most are clueless and judgemental.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
As already said...

I don't give a *** what other people think.

I have a G for work, I have Gs for outdoor activities and I have Gs that look smart and classy.
All are tough as nails and keep exact time, some do stuff I'll never need LOL!

Sell all my Gs and buy a Rolex to impress random strangers? Hell no!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
It's funny how uninformed people set themselves up as experts by defining what constitutes "real". No doubt, some people actually do hold that opinion for G-Shocks, and also apply it to Swatches, and don't understand or care about the philosophical difference between the two brands. I work with a guy who has a sticker on his lunchbox which says that "Real Trucks Rattle"...which I would venture says more about him than his truck.

The lady who was quoted probably wears impractical clothing and shoes which don't allow her to walk normally, or very far, or in any climate which isn't artificially maintained in the low-to-mid 70 degree range, while she sips a cup of luxury branded coffee that costs more than an entire meal for some people.

She probably equates "quality" with "price" and wouldn't believe that a 300 dollar (or even 50 dollar) G-Shock would be more accurate and more durable than her $3000 brand-of-choice.

For her, the state of "being a real watch" is more about impressing other people who might happen to see her wearing it, than actually doing things such as telling what time it is, or surviving being bumped or dropped without damage, or running for decades without requiring service.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts