WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I couldn’t agree more, Rocket1919. I’m just saying that even the caricature of real manly men wear more G-shocks than just about any other brands. And the opinions of hypothetical women don’t keep me up at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rocket1991

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I couldn’t agree more, Rocket1919. I’m just saying that even the caricature of real manly men wear more G-shocks than just about any other brands. And the opinions of hypothetical women don’t keep me up at night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Back in 40s "real manly lumberjacks" were wearing Certina!
And a small one to boot.

·
Registered
597 Posts
ha ha ha...just like how athletes didn't exist before smartwatches. durr...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will say that Casio and G-Shock have a long history and have evolved into a collector's item in many categories. I have had 10 or more and find them to be very reliable and nearly as functional as a smartwatch for most practical purposes yet do not require a recharge every night. You have a wide runway of choices from simple durable beater models for $45.00 to more luxury MT-G and MR-G models that cost thousands of dollars. I cycle through watches very rapidly but the one that remains in the inventory is my Gravity Master GPS GPW-1000T-1AJF in black. If I had to head for the hills and needed something that is supremely accurate, calibrates daily with the Atomic Clock, has solar power, can beat down a Grizzly Bear with one swipe, and light up a campsite with one press of a button, this is the one I grab. You'll have to pry it off me when I am 6 feet under (will take some doing with a carbon fiber weave in the strap). When I muster the nerve and brace for the wrath of my better half, I will be getting the same functions in an all stainless model with the bracelet so I can lock it down on my wrist whether I am presenting a million dollar proposal in the boardroom or smokejumping into a backcountry wildfire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Public perception of G-Shocks? At a coffee shop or flower store? Maybe at wine tasting or the mall. I promise the opinion of the G-Shock by the "boys" at Coronado Island and Camp Pendleton is sky high. Wearing in a G is about performance, expectations and absolute reliability. When it's on the wrist of pilot landing on an aircraft carrier in the dark that might tell you something about the watch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
To the OP, one woman does not a public make
Certainly. But, I dare suggest there is more than one woman who thinks, "Casios are cheap watches." The snobbery goes further than just her, I promise. Hell... I was one of them! LOL! I came into Casio watches just 2 weeks ago with the idea of getting a "cheap Casio" to tide me over until I got my Rolex fixed. True story! (I have one Rolex and one Breitling... both gifts from my wife when she was working... both are kaput.)

Now, mind you.... Obviously, I didn't care what other people might think if they saw me wearing a Casio. I'm well past the point in my life where I cared about what other people think of me, what I drive, where I live, what I wear, etc. And, in my profession, there ARE certain "social expectations." Many of my colleagues collect fine Swiss timepieces. I don't care about keeping up with the Joneses. Not one whit. It's a liberating way to be!

That all said, I discovered a "Casio World" that drew me in big time! I'm loving it! If you haven't seen it, the evidence is in the "Insta-Collection" thread in this forum. 🤓

So, yeah... there IS an unenlightened "public perception" of Casio watches. Who cares? We know better. :cool:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This^ is one incredibly whacked out view of what a real man is. There is no valid description of a "real man" that exists.
It is all style hype. It used to be real men smoked cigarettes, pipes, cigars, drank whiskey, didn't have anything to do with their kids. It used to be that real men didn't care what a woman wanted or that she didn't care to be intimate with him. If he was a real man, he "got some". That has all changed and there are new versions of real men that will change as society changes. There are no rules when it comes to being a real man.
Real men take on all kinds of incarnations and dropping your love of fast cars, clothing and other material possessions does not make you more of a man or more secure.
Nor does having a family. Plenty of real men don't have a family nor do they want one.
"What looks cool" could very well "be cool" depending on who is doing the looking.
One "real man" might think G-Shocks are for kids and another might think that dress watches are for girly men. Articles like that one really do a disservice to people in general.
I could go on but I know it doesn't make much of a difference. Just had to comment.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
This^ is one incredibly whacked out view of what a real man is. There is no valid description of a "real man" that exists.
It is all style hype. It used to be real men smoked cigarettes, pipes, cigars, drank whiskey, didn't have anything to do with their kids. It used to be that real men didn't care what a woman wanted or that she didn't care to be intimate with him. If he was a real man, he "got some". That has all changed and there are new versions of real men that will change as society changes. There are no rules when it comes to being a real man.
Real men take on all kinds of incarnations and dropping your love of fast cars, clothing and other material possessions does not make you more of a man or more secure.
Nor does having a family. Plenty of real men don't have a family nor do they want one.
"What looks cool" could very well "be cool" depending on who is doing the looking.
One "real man" might think G-Shocks are for kids and another might think that dress watches are for girly men. Articles like that one really do a disservice to people in general.
I could go on but I know it doesn't make much of a difference. Just had to comment.
That was direction of where i was going with my original post. There are so many "real" out there and they all real to someone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This has got me thinking..... has the never ending collaborations with "urban street wear designers" changed the public's perception of what a G Shock is/was from what, as a 53 year old male, I consider is a tough work/activities watch, to teenage kids fashion accessory?
I do not know what women think -- only Mel Gibson was able to crack that puzzle and only temporarily -- but I certainly do not think of a G Shock owners on average as a "tough work/activities" people any more than I believe that the average Jeep Wrangler owner takes their rig any further off-road than a grocery store parking lot.

WUS is a self-selected group of people and hardly representative of the average person but a quick stroll through the G Shock sub-forum reveals people who collect them and became very upset if something cosmetic occurs to their watch, hardly the mark of people using them as intended, and possibly/probably not much different from the average person (outside the obsessive collecting).

And we are talking about a brand which has released "dress" G Shocks.

At any rate, I wear my Mudmaster while sport shooting, hunting, fishing and breaking things off-road, which does sneak a hint of I doth protest too much into my thoughts here, and nor do I care if it gets broken or if women judge me as lesser for wearing it.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

Our questions were answered long ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I learned about them in middle School - high school, thought of them as big cheap looking plastic watches. I had no clue their main selling point was being tough, I thought they were just meant to be flashy.

Now I have one or two to use as dedicated hard use/work watches and I wouldn't want anything else.

·
Registered
583 Posts
-the science teacher’s calculator watch
-the PE teacher’s watch is digital and has a stopwatch in it? Awesome!
-hey when the Mariners came to put on that baseball camp they were wearing the same watch as our coach!
-hey that solider guy who came to talk to us about the Gulf War has one of those Casio G Strike things on. Oh, G Shock. Sorry.
-hey my dad likes to wear a watch and is outdoorsy, works with his hands, shoots, hunts, fishes, so I got him a GShock for Christmas and he loved it. Then he got me one too!

that was sort of my evolution in G Shock as a kid.

G Shock has become a brand in and of itself beyond Casio. The new age loves to brand everything as for some reason the new age thinks the brand is the selling point. Sadly they’re right for the majority of sheeple consumer people.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts