WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

161 - 180 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I read online recently that a woman was asked her opinion of G Shocks and her answer was something like ' g shocks are worn by boys and real men wear real watches.

This has got me thinking..... has the never ending collaborations with "urban street wear designers" changed the public's perception of what a G Shock is/was from what, as a 53 year old male, I consider is a tough work/activities watch, to teenage kids fashion accessory?
real men don't care what ladies think about our watches. heck, all handbags and heels look the same to us! except if they're well-made or hideous. LOL!

anyway, with b5000 getting all the hype even with the high-end luxury watch collectors, i can say "public's perception" no longer a concern.

Reactions: fish70

·
Registered
597 Posts
whoever started this thread never actually posted a link.

"I read some article somewhere online that said something controversial".

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think a number of you have missed the point of my post.
You basically posted a controversial statement, then attributed that statement to a random article somewhere that you claim to have read. Where is that article? What did it say? Will you ever post the link to the article?

·
Registered
437 Posts
What that woman said won't matter. Not to Casio for sure. And certainly not to me.

Off topic, I'd say I've thrown my KOG upwards and let it land on the floor several times just for fun and always checked afterwards for any damage and found none. I bet that can't be done to a lot of watches that are many, many times more expensive.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My take on G-Shocks is that they are just too steenkeeng big for me (6.5" arm bone, SMALL!), PLUS they seem to have a lot of features that do not interest me (I do not need or want their many features - - Wi-Fi, etc.)
And they have so many models. That alone is just mind-boggling for a shopper. It was for me.

My Marathon Navigator Pilots watch ($243 to my mailbox from WatchMann) is my "beater" and gives me everything I want/need and nothing more. Analog time, Tritium tubes dial/hands for night use, and it is very light (don't even know it is there), tough durable fiber case, non-sweat/oil attracting nylon strap, sapphire crystal, water and altitude rated, small-drain circuitry that supposedly keeps the battery alive for a number of years, a decent, durable ETA quartz movement, and on and on. A simple, practical watch. Anything that will kill this watch will likely kill me first.

I did seriously search for an acceptable G-Shock for a beater, but was simply unable to find one that I even liked a little bit. To each their own.

·
Registered
19,355 Posts
The truth is that nobody is shocked while seeing a G-shock watch.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
My take on G-Shocks is that they are just too steenkeeng big for me (6.5" arm bone, SMALL!), PLUS they seem to have a lot of features that do not interest me (I do not need or want their many features - - Wi-Fi, etc.)
And they have so many models. That alone is just mind-boggling for a shopper. It was for me.

My Marathon Navigator Pilots watch ($243 to my mailbox from WatchMann) is my "beater" and gives me everything I want/need and nothing more. Analog time, Tritium tubes dial/hands for night use, and it is very light (don't even know it is there), tough durable fiber case, non-sweat/oil attracting nylon strap, sapphire crystal, water and altitude rated, small-drain circuitry that supposedly keeps the battery alive for a number of years, a decent, durable ETA quartz movement, and on and on. A simple, practical watch. Anything that will kill this watch will likely kill me first.

I did seriously search for an acceptable G-Shock for a beater, but was simply unable to find one that I even liked a little bit. To each their own.
Must remember to go through all the different brand threads on here and let enthusiasts know why I'm not interested in them.

That 'wi-fi' G does sound interesting though...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Honestly, the public doesn't care what watches we wear anymore because everyone checks the time on their phone now. But you can get some looks if the watch is fashionable though.

·
Registered
201 Posts
New guy here. 56 years old and haven't cared about what other people think of me and my stuff... well... forever. I like what I like.

I probably had a Casio at some point in my formative years, but I don't remember, honestly.

I have a Breitling Colt Ocean (hasn't worked in years). I have a Rolex Yachtmaster that crapped out on me a few months ago. Servicing these watches isn't cheap. I planned to delay sending the Rolex in, due to the expense.

So, after a few months of having to glance at my phone to get the time, I got very tired of that. I need a watch. So, I thought... I'll get a "cheap Casio" to tide me over.

I just needed something to keep time. And then...

I started looking at Casios online and had NO IDEA about the "rabbit hole" I was going down! LOL!
Well, in just a few days, I've ordered FIVE Casios. Three G-Shocks and two Pro Treks. I went a little nuts! I can see this being an addiction.

I got the first watch exactly 1 week ago... a GST-S300-1A1, a G-Steel in "black-out." I liked the look of it online. I will say that the reverse LCD subdials are hard to read with my 56 year old eyes, unless I'm outdoors in bright light, or wearing my "readers." But, it's a nice watch!

The 2nd watch was a PRW-50Y-1ACR (Pro Trek). It's REALLY nice. Love it.

A week later... I've bought 9 Casios! I've got the fever, bad! Four of them are in my hands. Five on the way. Two of them are Pro Treks. Seven are G-Shocks. I think I might need an intervention.

It's been a lot of fun. Casios are an excellent value, IMO. And, it's been a most wonderful distraction from the crap on the news. As I dove deep into the Casio pool, I haven't been thinking much about COVID and politics! :geek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
what are the other 7 models?
OK... here we go. Some budget-level. Some not-so-budget level.

GA800-1A

AWG-M100-1ACR (I think this is a great value... $90 and it has both solar and atomic features.)

PRW-3100Y-1JF (Pro Trek)

GWM5610-1

DW5000BB-1

GW-B5600BC -1B

W300G-1A2JF (another G-Steel from Japan with positive LCD subdials and 6-Band)

I think that's all of them! All in a week's time. I am a sick puppy!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I read online recently that a woman was asked her opinion of G Shocks and her answer was something like ' g shocks are worn by boys and real men wear real watches.

This has got me thinking..... has the never ending collaborations with "urban street wear designers" changed the public's perception of what a G Shock is/was from what, as a 53 year old male, I consider is a tough work/activities watch, to teenage kids fashion accessory?
Was her name “Karen”? Bet she’s lonely.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As recently as a few months ago I was showing my brother a new purchase and he asked me, “ what if it gets wet?”

he didn’t realize that all g-shocks can “get wet” the “civilian public” thinks a lot of things that are ridiculous.

I think stiletto heels are for hookers but I bet they have other uses.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been traveling a lot last couple years for work and noticed lot of flight attendants wearing g-shock square or similar style Casio.

I have rarely met people that actually cared about watches. Most people probably don't even notice that you are even wearing a watch

·
Premium Member
8,275 Posts
New guy here. 56 years old and haven't cared about what other people think of me and my stuff... well... forever. I like what I like.

I probably had a Casio at some point in my formative years, but I don't remember, honestly.

I have a Breitling Colt Ocean (hasn't worked in years). I have a Rolex Yachtmaster that crapped out on me a few months ago. Servicing these watches isn't cheap. I planned to delay sending the Rolex in, due to the expense.

So, after a few months of having to glance at my phone to get the time, I got very tired of that. I need a watch. So, I thought... I'll get a "cheap Casio" to tide me over.

I just needed something to keep time. And then...

I started looking at Casios online and had NO IDEA about the "rabbit hole" I was going down! LOL!
Well, in just a few days, I've ordered FIVE Casios. Three G-Shocks and two Pro Treks. I went a little nuts! I can see this being an addiction.

I got the first watch exactly 1 week ago... a GST-S300-1A1, a G-Steel in "black-out." I liked the look of it online. I will say that the reverse LCD subdials are hard to read with my 56 year old eyes, unless I'm outdoors in bright light, or wearing my "readers." But, it's a nice watch!

The 2nd watch was a PRW-50Y-1ACR (Pro Trek). It's REALLY nice. Love it.

A week later... I've bought 9 Casios! I've got the fever, bad! Four of them are in my hands. Five on the way. Two of them are Pro Treks. Seven are G-Shocks. I think I might need an intervention.

It's been a lot of fun. Casios are an excellent value, IMO. And, it's been a most wonderful distraction from the crap on the news. As I dove deep into the Casio pool, I haven't been thinking much about COVID and politics! :geek:
Yeah, you've gone down the rabbit hole, no doubt. Just keep hanging around this forum! Before you know it, you'll be getting multiple Gs per month!! (For a loooong time)

Have you heard of "JDM" models? What about the Frogman? (Only ISO-compliant g-shock dive watch, made in Japan - and multiple versions, going back many years) How about all-metal GMW-B5000 "squares"? There's a huuuuuuuge variety in the g-shock world. As you'll see, over time.

(Then of course there's the Oceanus line - the sporty dress Casios) 😉

You're off to a good start! Post pics, and have fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The anonymous woman from the article the OP remembers reading somewhere seems never to have met a first responder or a member of the military if she thinks “real men” don’t wear Gs.

Reactions: Prdrers

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
The anonymous woman from the article the OP remembers reading somewhere seems never to have met a first responder or a member of the military if she thinks “real men” don’t wear Gs.
Majority of vocal posters on F2 think real man don't wear Gs. So here you go. So following logic connections thus they are women and only man love G-shocks and post on G-shock forum.
Logic of these conclusions often flawed yet it leads to somehow right decisions.
"Public" in general is such place where you can find both support or disagreement arguments.
So saying like "Public thinks" or "Public condemns" is what talking heads on TV, blogs and internet use to put bases to their propaganda.
Bottom line public likes, dislikes and mostly don't care.
So yeah public don't care about what you wear.
Ok Real man according to woman is something else than according to man. Women don't care what you wear. As far as it looks a part and mature.

161 - 180 of 219 Posts