WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will post here the new design as the work continious.

The fonts are still edgy compared to the original dial as seen on Garaventa's 55mm original Flieger. The printing process itself will however add its own "softness".
I will need feedback from Laco on this matter.

When the whole dial is finished I will make a second version with added rounded edges. Then we will be able to see if the result will look and feel better.

The position of the digit groups can still be changed, I still have to check some alignments in comparison with the original.

And please feel free to comment in this new thread.

Greetings,
Frank

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I keep thinking to myself, if anyone told me back in April we would reach this level of quality exigence and commitement to the original I wouldn't believe it. :think:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Re: The Real Final Dial Design...

Hope you guys like it.

BTW; the length of the hands are what Laco provided me. The form however is what the picture from Garaventa told me to do.

Greetings,
Frank

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

OMG, amazing work! Frank, you rock! :-!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Fantastic, super duper! I say-go ahead and print it!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts

Wow. Like the rest of our watch... stunning, correct, and usable. For me..let's build (and wait o| ). Thanks again Frank!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts

Frank,

I checked it again and I can only say:

perfect work, there is absolutely nothing to add.

LACO should be happy to get such a perfect prework for futher projects.

Compare yourself guys:

Frank

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

oh guys, I'm blushing...

Tomorrow I will add the second hand. And I will try to get some better colours for the hands and the SuperLuminova paint. I will also try to add a different colour at the places on the dial where the luminous paint wil come; to get everthing even more realistic.

Then I will forward the vector files to Laco and wait for their feedback. If nessicary I will do the required changes and of we go!

What readabilty concerns, no worries, The outer ring is exactly 36.00mm which is still 6mm bigger than e.g. world famous and also very readable Omega Speedmaster.

Greetings,
Frank from _be lgium

·
Registered
154 Posts

Dont forget the hole in the seconds hand ;-)

Really good work mate, I am grateful to you.

Best,

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

Dont forget the hole in the seconds hand ;-)

Really good work mate, I am grateful to you.

Best,
It is very well possible that this hole has a very good reason for being there; It could be that the second hand is balanced. During balancing drilling holes is a very common practice to reduce weight at certain place (e.g. cranckshaft, flywheels, and even the balance (unruh) of watches.)
Don't forget that this hand is quit large and it had a lot of paint applied to it. Also given the fact that this watch was particularly designed for tough conditions maybe Laco forsaw the second hand to be balanced within a certain margin.

Maybe Garaventa or Janne can tell us if the "tail" of the second hand is also thicker than the rest of the hand?

Greetings,
Frank

·
Registered
65 Posts

As far as I know,

the hole was made for easier coating the long and very sensitive hand.

So the hands were put on a very thin wire and then droped once into the liquid lume fluid.

The easiest way to get them lumed without touching them!

Frank

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Added the second hand.

I'm not completly satisfied with the hour hand. Maybe Frank (Garaventa) can mail me a hi-res pic where i can fully see the hour hand?

And actually when looking at the minute hand... that one isn't OK either ... yet...

To be continued...
Greetings,
Frank

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Yes, Frank, the end of the Minutehand is considerably thicker. In magnification it indeed look like a counterweight

·
Registered
11,273 Posts

The countreweight is indeed a well-known feature of the B-Uhren second hands. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts

Yes, Frank, the end of the Minutehand is considerably thicker. In magnification it indeed look like a counterweight
Not sure but should´nt the minute hand go a tad beyond the outer ring? - it now looks a bit short compared to the pics of the originals?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I just made some changes...

Some thoughts on the length of the hands:
Both minute and second hand are now drawn exactly 18.00mm just do be shure they can not rub against the inside of the case.

Original length that Laco gave me were:

17.25mm Minutehand
17.75mm Secondhand

So it is possible that there is a technical reason for these lengths.

But just for now, I've made the design as close to the original as possible.

Greetings,
Frank

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

I think the hands will NOT be custom made? If not, the length Laco told Frank cannot be changed.
Yes, the second hand goes outside (slightly) the outer ring on the 55mm, but all depends on the crystal and case shape. Our crystal and case are NOT exact copies of the Original, so I do not think we can expect the second hand to go outside the line.
Frankly speaking, I think we have reached our goal, realistically we can not want or demand more!
I think Frank B's drawing looks fantastic!
I say like I said earlier- PRINT, PRINT, PRINT!! :-!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts