WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I really like the look of vintage 60s watches and am currently looking for my first watch. I do however feel hesitant to a vintage piece being my first watch and daily wearer at that. So I turn to you guys, are there any affordable (about $500 max, but wouldn't complain if it's lower) modern watches that look similar to these watches of the past? Something in the 35-38mm range and preferably som specs that makes it work as an everyday piece.

Pictures for inspiration:
Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver

Watch Brown Analog watch Light Clock

Watch Analog watch White Light Silver

·
Registered
Affordables
7,094 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Timex Marlin

Another vote for a Marlin if you want to go new. I also agree that real vintage would be a way to go.

On the 1960s Dick Van Dyke Show, Rob Petrie wears a watch that looks like a Marlin to me-- although it could be any other classic round style with a light dial. Those lugs seem to be pretty long in the photo below.

Forehead Watch Cheek Hand Shirt

·
Registered
560 Posts
Lots of good suggestions above. I would echo the suggestion to look on Craigslist/Facebook market place and see if you can get a good price on a vintage watch. A lot of Swiss made watches from lesser known/not sought after brands sell in okay condition for under $150 and new strap and a tube of polywatch for the crystal can really make it look nice with minimal work. Just don't pay a lot for it, have reasonable expectations, make sure it is running and avoid rust and water damage like the plague.

Also consider the Seiko 5 SNKL41 if you want a cheap mechanical or SACM171 Dolce if you like quartz.

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
I think the lugs are proportional, that's just a big watch for the time. Or he has tiny wrists.

Another vote for a Marlin if you want to go new. I also agree that real vintage would be a way to go.

On the 1960s Dick Van Dyke Show, Rob Petrie wears a watch that looks like a Marlin to me-- although it could be any other classic round style with a light dial. Those lugs seem to be pretty long in the photo below.

View attachment 16174425

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bulova has a watch similar to the Aerojet model that it released in 60s. It's quartz and 39mm without the crown but I think it has the look that you are after. I have it and love it. It think it's sometimes called "Bulova Classic" in the sales listings.
That Bulova is a thing of beauty.
I've been ogling 1960s Seamasters and this has a similar vibe.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Another vote for just going vintage. $500 and 35-38mm gives you loads of options in that style.

If you’re looking for 38mm+ I’d look at modern substitutes, but at <38mm I see no reason not to go vintage.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Russian watches of the 50s and 60s are awesome, can cost you as little as 150 for something that looks great. But like anything vintage false pieces abound and you have to educate yourself. It's not just Russian, it's everything. Vintage is a fun hobby if you have patience to learn. If not stay away because it's really easy to waste your money and buy fake.

If you want to go new and are willing to up your budget a little, nothing beats a Jhungans Max Bill:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Put some racing chronograph in your life.

Vintage - old:
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

Watch Analog watch Silver Clock Watch accessory

Under $300 USD. Vintage style new w/ Seiko mecaquartz, different colourways available:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

1 - 20 of 23 Posts