WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really mythical as there are a ton of options, but I would love to get some input from folks. I had another thread but I am changing my criteria.

I am looking for a field or dive watch beater with good water resistance. My go-to has been my SKX, but I am looking for something a little more interesting and I want a no-date.

Here is my criteria:

— Sub 42mm

— Quartz is fine as this will not be worn a ton

— Lug-to-lug under 50mm

— Thickness under 13mm

— Water resistance of 100m or better

— No date

— No bead blasting

— 20mm lug width

— I don’t do bracelets

— No faux vintage lume

— Sub $500 pre owned

Some ideas are the Smiths/Precista stuff, but as much as I like Eddie, I’ve had issues with their products in the past. What else is there?

— Scurfa is great quality but the designs are kinda meh
— CWC?
— Marathon?
— Mini-turtle with no date mod?
—Dagaz?
— Bertucci
— Standard Instruments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
of your list. i would go with the mini turt with a no date dial mod. unfortunately i haven't seen any of these mods out yet, since this is such a new model but i could be very wrong haha. my buddy has a mini turtle and after comparing it to my standard turtle.... man oh man is the quality of the finish so much higher on the mini. the standard turtle looks like the traditional manufacturing like on SKX's while the mini turt seems like its whole new manufacturing methods with greater detail.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Many of the NTH Subs have a no-date option. You can probably find a used one in budget. Tisell Sub is cheap enough you could buy a handful of different straps to replace the stock bracelet and still be well under budget.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
of your list. i would go with the mini turt with a no date dial mod. unfortunately i haven't seen any of these mods out yet, since this is such a new model but i could be very wrong haha. my buddy has a mini turtle and after comparing it to my standard turtle.... man oh man is the quality of the finish so much higher on the mini. the standard turtle looks like the traditional manufacturing like on SKX's while the mini turt seems like its whole new manufacturing methods with greater detail.
I assume they exist, but I haven’t seen them either.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Definitely consider Bertucci. They have titanium, steel, and resin cases in 36mm-44mm sizes, with date and no-date options. Killer lume, btw. You have to get used to fixed spring bars but Bertucci’s OEM Natos are excellent quality, both nylon and leather. The offset crown, screw-down crown, screw-in casebacks are nicely machined, and they place the crystal below the top of the bezel, which is fairly unusual but makes a heck of a lot of sense. I tried both 36mm and 40mm stainless steel models, and really liked both. For $99, pretty good value.

Bertucci-Ventara-WRUW-031318-a.jpg

bertucci-ventara-021718.jpg

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quartz makes a great grab’n’go beater. That CWC looks great, nice backstory and excellent price.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
Yeah that’s what I want—something I can grab when I don’t want to mess up my speedmaster or nomos weltzeit.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lorier Neptune - 39mm, 20mm lug width, 200m WR, Seiko automatic movement, classic vintage-inspired aesthetics, and less than $400 brand new. It comes on a bracelet, which is actually quite good, but you can easily remove it using the drilled lug holes and put it on a nato or strap. I love mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Lorier Neptune - 39mm, 20mm lug width, 200m WR, Seiko automatic movement, classic vintage-inspired aesthetics, and less than $400 brand new. It comes on a bracelet, which is actually quite good, but you can easily remove it using the drilled lug holes and put it on a nato or strap. I love mine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's also over 14mm thick (OP wanted <13) and I'd have a hard time recommending a watch with a plexiglass/hesalite crystal as a beater.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's also over 14mm thick (OP wanted <13) and I'd have a hard time recommending a watch with a plexiglass/hesalite crystal as a beater.
That’s nice! I am being drawn to pieces with real history. For that reason the Seiko, CWC, and Hamilton field keep coming to me... a nice microbrand would speak to my watch neediness though.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Then there's the ultimate beater, the INOX. The so-called "men's" version is too big (and has a date window) but the 36mm INOX V, oddly marketed as a women's watch, fits the need perfectly and can be had for around US$300 new on rubber:

Unknown-3.jpeg

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I assume they exist, but I haven’t seen them either.

Might be a pain but if you can find out the diameter I’m sure mod parts meant for other watches can fit. I think the dial is the same size as the shogun, but don’t quote me on that haha.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts