WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Last summer I bought a Sekonda 3017 here in the Netherlands for just over a 100 bucks. It didn't run, the crystal was obviously fake and the red chrono minute hand was missing but all the other hands were original and the dial looked quite acceptable to me so I just went for it. Back then I was still studying and short on money so I didn't get to repairing it. Comrade Kev80 helped me a lot with finding the right second hand, which in the end I didn't get since I abandoned the search due to the money issue. I put the watch in a box and forgot about it until now.

I just got the watch back out of the box and I was immediately struck by what nice watches these are, especially the 3017 movement! . Also I never shared my watch here on the forum except for the Franken thread before buying it.

So here it is! What do you guys think? I think, altough not perfect, it still looks pretty good! The dial has some patina but it is quite even and gives it a nice vintage feel. The hands are a bit rusty but looking at it's brothers on Ebay most of these watches seem to have rust on the hands (even the ones listed for 500 dollars!).

Since I'm having a real job now and actually have some money to waste I would like to get this watch fixed. About repairing this watch, can any old neighbourhood watchmaker fix this movement or do I need to find someone with some experience with the 3017 movement? If so, does anyone by any chance know about a good (and not too expensive) watch maker in the Netherlands or one abroad I can send it to? And since it's gonna be expensive anyway, is it possible for a watchmaker to clean the dial just a little bit and get some of the rust of the hands? Would like to get this baby all back in shape again! b-)

Thanks for reading and all advice is welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I wrote a similar title on a hifi forum re a Decca super gold I forgot I had, so I can attest it happens. Lovely watch, I hope you get it up and running.
Chris

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
About repairing this watch, can any old neighbourhood watchmaker fix this movement or do I need to find someone with some experience with the 3017 movement?
Let's not forget that the 3017 is basically a slightly modified Swiss Venus 150-170.

venus-152-1950.jpg

Maybe sourcing the correct spares, if needed, could be a little complication; but technically speaking, any decent watchmaker must be able to put his hands on this movement, do ordinary maintenance and fix any problem.

About the missing hand, you can also look for the more common silver one, fitted on black dialled 3017s: those for the white dial versions were overpainted red.

1lx0xo.jpg

facepalm2 (2).jpg

s-l300.jpg

:-d

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 3017 you forgot you had?!? That sentence alone is a grail of mine....
I want to be the guy who posts 'look at this Vostok Compressor I forgot I had. It was buried underneath a pile of doubloons and krugerrands'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha well, in my defense it was out of poverty :-d

And thanks for all the advise guys! I send Dashiells guy an email but if that does not work out there are plenty of options I see!

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts