WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wearing my new/pre-owned Aquis for about 11 days and have come to the conclusion that the Sellita SW200-1 movement just isn't very accurate. This is the second Aquis I have owned (the last two) that has been a real time gainer. The first Aquis I owned had the ETA 2824 movement in it and it was a great deal more accurate - +/-3 spd. The last two Aquis I have owned have gained at least 10 spd. I have no idea what kind of accuracy Sellita claims for these movements but I have had much better success with Seiko's 6R15 and 8L35 movements. I can understand better accuracy from the 8L35 movement because it is a hand made movement that is more expensive but the 6R15 movement is nothing special, certainly not any better than the Sellita SW200-1.

Not looking for answers just making an observation.

I know automatics vary in their accuracy. I get that. However, I just think that even an automatic movement, like the Sellita SW200-1, should be able to be accurate within 10 spd.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have two watches with the SW200-1. My ProPilot Big Crown runs consistently at +1/day and the Archimede Outdoor runs at around +4-5/day. Perhaps you've just been unlucky :(

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two watches with the SW200-1. My ProPilot Big Crown runs consistently at +1/day and the Archimede Outdoor runs at around +4-5/day. Perhaps you've just been unlucky :(
Perhaps but two out of two is a terrible average. I'm going to try the resting position technique to see if I can get it not gain so much time so quickly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My diver sixty five runs similarly fast.... I wish it were better. If you find a way to skier her down. Please do tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Wish to point out that a pre-owned watch has "previous experience" and it may not be fair to Sellita or your particular movement to critique it in public before getting it regulated and retested as it may have been previously dropped or banged around.

Get it regulated before judging it.

My 3 Sellita are about as accurate as my ETA, Seiko, Soprod and Miyota. Don't paint a movement maker on the basis of one or two old, used unregulated examples.

Hand made accuracy compared to regulated machine made accuracy is the same.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish to point out that a pre-owned watch has "previous experience" and it may not be fair to Sellita or your particular movement to critique it in public before getting it regulated and retested as it may have been previously dropped or banged around.

Get it regulated before judging it.

My 3 Sellita are about as accurate as my ETA, Seiko, Soprod and Miyota. Don't paint a movement maker on the basis of one or two old, used unregulated examples.

Hand made accuracy compared to regulated machine made accuracy is the same.
What? Am I hurting the Sellita movement's feelings by "criticizing" it in public? Give me a break. It is what it is...not accurate and running fast. I looked up the spec's on Sellita's website and their own website states that +/- 12 spd is well within range for the SW200-1 movement. That's a range of 24 spd. That is not accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
I have been wearing my new/pre-owned Aquis for about 11 days and have come to the conclusion that the Sellita SW200-1 movement just isn't very accurate. This is the second Aquis I have owned (the last two) that has been a real time gainer. The first Aquis I owned had the ETA 2824 movement in it and it was a great deal more accurate - +/-3 spd. The last two Aquis I have owned have gained at least 10 spd. I have no idea what kind of accuracy Sellita claims for these movements but I have had much better success with Seiko's 6R15 and 8L35 movements. I can understand better accuracy from the 8L35 movement because it is a hand made movement that is more expensive but the 6R15 movement is nothing special, certainly not any better than the Sellita SW200-1.

Not looking for answers just making an observation.

I know automatics vary in their accuracy. I get that. However, I just think that even an automatic movement, like the Sellita SW200-1, should be able to be accurate within 10 spd.
Timing running +10 is really well within the limits for a standard grade SW200 or ETA 2824 (even higher grades). Check out the specs listed on Wikipedia - it will be an eye opener.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
What? Am I hurting the Sellita movement's feelings by "criticizing" it in public? Give me a break. It is what it is...not accurate and running fast. I looked up the spec's on Sellita's website and their own website states that +/- 12 spd is well within range for the SW200-1 movement. That's a range of 24 spd. That is not accurate.
​Get it regulated

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
It could happen with movements from any brand. Unless the movement is COSC certified or equivalent (Grand Seiko, high-end watches...)

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Timing running +10 is really well within the limits for a standard grade SW200 or ETA 2824 (even higher grades). Check out the soecs listed on Wikipedia - it will be an eye opener.
You're right. However, like I wrote, I have owned Seiko watches (two Sumos) with rather mundane 6R15 movements in them and they have been +/-3 to +/-4 spd. I have owned watches (Glycine Combat 7 and an older Oris Aquis) with an ETA 2824 movement that have also been +/- 3 to +/-4 spd. I just think that the SW200-1 movement should be able to achieve that level of accuracy as a standard.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It could happen with movements from any brand. Unless the movement is COSC certified or equivalent (Grand Seiko, high-end watches...)

True. I'm just saying that I have experienced better accuracy in less expensive watches - none of which were COSC certified. I'm not getting rid of my Aquis, just making an observation.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
True. I'm just saying that I have experienced better accuracy in less expensive watches - none of which were COSC certified. I'm not getting rid of my Aquis, just making an observation.
Understood. If it was new, you have a point. But as a used watch, it maybe able to be demagnetized and adjusted to be more accurate.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My diver sixty five runs similarly fast.... I wish it were better. If you find a way to skier her down. Please do tell

I'm not happy that you're experiencing the same issue with your Sellita that I am but I am encouraged that I am not the only one who is concerned about it. I will definitely let you what the results of my "study" are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The funny part is I had a tt1 that was running slow. Had it regulated and even that (with the eta) can back to me running 5-10s fast. I'm thinking it will settle down over time

·
Registered
20,791 Posts
From my point of view if your watch with Sellita movement runs anywhere within +/-15spd it should be considered a good watch, it's on pair with standard grade ETA movement.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
You're right. However, like I wrote, I have owned Seiko watches (two Sumos) with rather mundane 6R15 movements in them and they have been +/-3 to +/-4 spd. I have owned watches (Glycine Combat 7 and an older Oris Aquis) with an ETA 2824 movement that have also been +/- 3 to +/-4 spd. I just think that the SW200-1 movement should be able to achieve that level of accuracy as a standard.
Movements are only expected to perform within manufacturer's specs out of the box as an average. Having any other expectations would be unrealistic. Sure, i had a Seiko Shogun that kept time to +/- 0s per day and a Black Bay that was +1-2s per day out of the box, just good luck if you ask me as i have also had a MM300 with 8L35 run +18s per day out of the box.

Oris's non COSC certified movements regardless of SW or ETA base are supposed to keep time to the tune of -5/+20s per day; if it performs within this range then it is considered to be normal.

The only Oris i ever owned was a aquis date with the SW movement. It kept time within the stated -5/+20s until for some reason it started to run at +30s per day. Oris regulated it under warranty and there-after it kept time to less than +1s per day for the rest of the year plus that i owned the watch. So a base SW movement is capable of very good accuracy if properly regulated and then taken care of.

The same i am sure will apply to ETA, Soprod or Seiko's 6R15/4R/7S movements.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
​Get it regulated
Yes. The lack of accuracy has little to do with the quality of the movement, and a lot to do with how much effort the brand put into adjusting the movement before casing it up...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. The lack of accuracy has little to do with the quality of the movement, and a lot to do with how much effort the brand put into adjusting the movement before casing it up...
Okay. Then Oris has done a lousy job of regulating the last two Aquii (that would be the plural for Aquis, right?) I have owned.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Movements are only expected to perform within manufacturer's specs out of the box as an average. Having any other expectations would be unrealistic. Sure, i had a Seiko Shogun that kept time to +/- 0s per day and a Black Bay that was +1-2s per day out of the box, just good luck if you ask me as i have also had a MM300 with 8L35 run +18s per day out of the box.

Oris's non COSC certified movements regardless of SW or ETA base are supposed to keep time to the tune of -5/+20s per day; if it performs within this range then it is considered to be normal.

The only Oris i ever owned was a aquis date with the SW movement. It kept time within the stated -5/+20s until for some reason it started to run at +30s per day. Oris regulated it under warranty and there-after it kept time to less than +1s per day for the rest of the year plus that i owned the watch. So a base SW movement is capable of very good accuracy if properly regulated and then taken care of.

The same i am sure will apply to ETA, Soprod or Seiko's 6R15/4R/7S movements.
I will agree with your comments. I just think that -5/+20 spd is a ridiculous range of accuracy. To the point, I don't think I should have to have my watch regulated in order to achieve a more realistic level of accuracy. It's kind of sloppy sending watches out with such a poor range of accuracy, whether it's an ETA, Seiko, or Sellita movement. Watches are meant to reflect accurate time or else what is the point of wearing an expensive (>$500) watch? List price for an Aquis is...what...$1,200 (with a rubber strap) at a gray market dealer and more at an AD? $1,200 certainly isn't HIGH END in the watch world but it also isn't cheap. You should get very good accuracy, less than +/- 10 spd, at that price.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts