WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Take it to a reputable watchmaker. A regulation will cost $0-$25 usually. The Sellita SW200 is as easy as an ETA to regulate. And your 2 samples are not enough to to make a blanket statement on the millions of Sellita movements in the world or even those running in just Oris watches. But in your support, I have read that Oris' factory regulation leaves something to be desired. I think I got lucky with my particular example as it gains a consistent 2 secs per day. On a side note, I read the Oris 733 and all Oris movements are elabore grade equivalent with incabloc shock protection, not standard/base grade.

On a second side note, I took my then new to me 5 year old Rolex Seadweller (purchased used) to the watchmaker since it was running 30 seconds fast when I got it. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory that way.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Take it to a reputable watchmaker. A regulation will cost $0-$25 usually. The Sellita SW200 is as easy as an ETA to regulate. And your 2 samples are not enough to to make a blanket statement on the millions of Sellita movements in the world or even those running in just Oris watches. But in your support, I have read that Oris' factory regulation leaves something to be desired. I think I got lucky with my particular example as it gains a consistent 2 secs per day. On a side note, I read the Oris 733 and all Oris movements are elabore grade equivalent with incabloc shock protection, not standard/base grade.

On a second side note, I took my then new to me 5 year old Rolex Seadweller (purchased used) to the watchmaker since it was running 30 seconds fast when I got it. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory that way.
And I doubt the Oris Sellita left the factory out of spec either. They got out of spec from use, magnetism or abuse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Anecdotal evidence from a couple watches really isn't meaningful. My Oris runs about +3 to +5 a day. I have a Seiko Alpinist that is +20 a day, and two Hamiltons with ETA 2824s that are between +10 and +15 a day. So in my experience the Sellita is more accurate. Of course that doesn't mean it is in general, any more than your experience means it is less accurate in general.

·
Premium Member
73,749 Posts
I have a clutch of SW200 watches and have no complaints about any of them. My PDD keeps to COSC standards without a problem.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
And I doubt the Oris Sellita left the factory out of spec either. They got out of spec from use, magnetism or abuse.
I agree. Oris is very good at ensuring their watches leave the factory running as accurately as possible. I've had five over the years (still have three) and find the Sellita movements in the most recent models (since the change from ETA) to be extremely accurate. In fact, they are more accurate than just about any other watches I own (including the ones that are COSC certified), and are more accurate than the older Oris' I had with ETA movements.

Here's an article worth reading that will put your mind at ease about the quality and accuracy of Sellita movements, including comments from master watchmaker Prem Chainani explaining the reason why they tend to be more accurate than comparable ETA movements.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Update...

I set my Aquis last night and have been wearing it for 24 hours straight, or nearly so, and it has gained less than 3 seconds (2.8 to be exact) over that period of time. This is, of course, a great result. However, it is highly unlikely that I will be willing to wear my watch 24/7. So, I suppose the important question is why it appears to gain time when I am not wearing it. You would assume it would lose time when not being worn - while being idle and not constantly being wound by the movement of my arm.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It is positional variance you are experiencing which is not uncommon. Do you know how old your watch actually is? I didn't see that in your original post. If it's over four years old and was worn often by the original owner, it may benefit from a service which would include a regulation. If done right, you should see an increase in accuracy all around.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,555 Posts
If 20 seconds/day is enough to set you off, it is time to buy a quartz.

I know....

But then you wouldn't have anything to complain about :(

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
True. I'm just saying that I have experienced better accuracy in less expensive watches - none of which were COSC certified. I'm not getting rid of my Aquis, just making an observation.
You're being a bit picky IMO. +10/day isn't far from COSC timekeeping and what does it really matter? A mechanical watch isn't built to be perfect and even one that runs to within +/- 1 SPD will eventually change. I've bought $2K Tags and Oris watches that run within 1 SPD and two different $8K+ Rolexes that came from the AD out of COSC specs and never ran within spec. It's not worth stressing over.

Furthermore, regulating a movement that is consistently running too fast or too slow is the easiest fix a watchmaker can perform and the cost is minimal. In fact I have done it myself and so could you after watching a 2 minute youtube video.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It is positional variance you are experiencing which is not uncommon. Do you know how old your watch actually is? I didn't see that in your original post. If it's over four years old and was worn often by the original owner, it may benefit from a service which would include a regulation. If done right, you should see an increase in accuracy all around.
It is the 2015 blue burst dial with black ceramic bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If 20 seconds/day is enough to set you off, it is time to buy a quartz.

I know....

But then you wouldn't have anything to complain about :(
How about you keep your snide comments to yourself.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You're being a bit picky IMO. +10/day isn't far from COSC timekeeping and what does it really matter? A mechanical watch isn't built to be perfect and even one that runs to within +/- 1 SPD will eventually change. I've bought $2K Tags and Oris watches that run within 1 SPD and two different $8K+ Rolexes that came from the AD out of COSC specs and never ran within spec. It's not worth stressing over.

Furthermore, regulating a movement that is consistently running too fast or too slow is the easiest fix a watchmaker can perform and the cost is minimal. In fact I have done it myself and so could you after watching a 2 minute youtube video.
How about you read the whole thread before offering a response. It might clear some things up for you.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
How about you read the whole thread before offering a response. It might clear some things up for you.

How about you relax a little. I read enough to know your whining about nothing and lashing out for no reason.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,555 Posts
How about you keep your snide comments to yourself.

Aww, that's cute :)

Did you have it serviced/regulated?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
All I know is that with 5 minutes of time, a 1.40mm screwdriver and a ball of duct tape he could have regulated it by himself and avoided this entire thread.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well, sorry to see this thread going sideways, but I didn't know your watch was so new. Shouldn't need a service. A regulation should get it where you want it.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Do you know the grade of the selitta movement ? Did you check it with a timing machine to see the results ? Maybe consider a cleaning and oiling of the movement as it is used ? Maybe dust or even water came into the movement ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Oris Sixty five and I had Calobra and Depth Gauge, all are (were) too accurate.

I've never found a problem with a Sellita caliber.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Update:

I am feeling a lot better about this Sellita SW200-1 movement now. Since Thursday evening, 21:00, it has gained 9 seconds, or 5.2 spd, and that is allowing it to rest crown up last night.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sorry to post so much in one afternoon.

Thank you all who have offered helpful and thoughtful response. As you can see from my last few responses, my Aquis is operating properly and well within appropriate specifications.

Thanks again.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts