WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good stuff in this thread -- I have learned a lot. I own a SW200 watch (about 1 1/2 years old) that is losing approx 40 secs a day. I am going to get it regulated. I have read where the regulation shouldn't cost more than $15-20. Is this about right?

·
Registered
705 Posts
sounds about right. some times its done for free if your lucky and have a cool watch maker.

Also, if your losing that much time the watch may need a cleaning. I know you said its 1 1/2 years old so it shouldn't need one but you never know.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If I had the choice I'd go ETA, Selitta is nice and I probobly have it in my Aquaracer but I'd prefer a ETA just like I'd prefer a Lambo. Engine inside a Lambo instead of a Audi Engine inside a Lambo I'd be disapointed if they started making Omegas with Selittas, because they own the rights to the ETA line (it won't happen just saying :D)

Just like I'd rather Swiss Made over a Swiss movement or Japan Made vs Japan Movement. If I wanted to buy a product that wasn't manufactured fully in those countrys (or whatever it takes to be called "Swiss made" etc) I'd stop buying Swiss Made, Japan Made (Seikos, Tags, Omegas etc) and go buy a Cheapo Digital Chinese, Taiwanese, Philipino etc watch from Walmart tells time, is cheaper and sucks the passion out of collecting.

Watch collecting is a passion and companies to attract more customers and make more profit in reaching out to every walk of life, are going from the "exclusive" to the "reguler" in terms of pricing,

ok so you can't afford the "Japan Made" Model for 50 bucks more and it doesn't mean anything to you so go buy the Japan Movement Seiko cased in where ever that isn't Japan. Cause the watch lady in the department store that has no idea about watches tells you its still "Japanese" Its just two words in watch collecting but there important, your buying the watch cause you enjoy it and it gives you pleasure and stupid stuff like Japan Made, make or break a deal in some people's eyes.

Japan Made, Swiss Made means a lot to me, would I pay a premium for it (a couple $$ more) yes, but to a point. Just like I'd pay more for other brands than others, same with movements. If you had a ETA and a Selitta watch (same brand power, same Swiss Made, same quality, same price) Then I'd go ETA, mostly cause your stuck on a good thing that you know is good.

Its the same in scale modeling, we have like modeling glue we've been buying for ever (some formulas that even date back to the start of modeling round the 50s) because people like what works first for them and they'd rather not take a risk on a unknown. Until something goes wrong with your original formula or through word of mouth and maybe a test run with the new item, you take a shot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have owned a Schaumburg AQM II for a month now. I think it has a Selitta/SW-something.......(would love to know exactly, not Cosc ver.)

Set it to the Colorado atomic clock to the second a month ago..... Checked it this morning and it is 2 seconds off. Call it perfect for my active lifestyle self winding-wise or what? ....but I'm pretty impressed........

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Japan Made, Swiss Made means a lot to me, would I pay a premium for it (a couple $$ more) yes, but to a point. Just like I'd pay more for other brands than others, same with movements. If you had a ETA and a Selitta watch (same brand power, same Swiss Made, same quality, same price) Then I'd go ETA, mostly cause your stuck on a good thing that you know is good.
I had to read your full post three times and I'm still not sure what you are saying.

But the above portion has me confused. ETA is part of a larger company contolled by Swatch. That makes it larger, not better.

I currently have 3 automatic watches: 2 SW200 and 1 ETA. The ETA is a 2834 day/date Maurice LaCroix. Visually it has a bit more decoration but functionally is not as accurate as my TAG Aquaracer (SW200) or my Accutron Kirkwood (SW200).

These movements are so close to being identical they are virtually the same.

Staying with good because you know it's good just seems silly in this comparison

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
I bet in the intervening 8 months the poster you quote has wondered into Swatch Land... :-d

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
Chinese Swiss movement, I haven't warmed up to the whole idea of Sellita yet.
Ohhh, Chinese Swiss! Hummmmm..... well, this is the Internet so it must be true!

·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
612 Posts
Ohhh, Chinese Swiss! Hummmmm..... well, this is the Internet so it must be true!
This is Sellita: We have been making parts for ETA for years. We have all the equipment and manufacturing know how to build our own movements. Lets hire someone to engineer some new movements... Wait ETA's patents have run out... Lets just copy them and stick an extra jewel somewhere unneeded, Brilliant!

So again, Swiss movements with a Chinese methodology.

·
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Chinese methodology would include more copy than know-how ;)

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
This is Sellita: We have been making parts for ETA for years. We have all the equipment and manufacturing know how to build our own movements. Lets hire someone to engineer some new movements... Wait ETA's patents have run out... Lets just copy them and stick an extra jewel somewhere unneeded, Brilliant!

So again, Swiss movements with a Chinese methodology.
No, the Swiss pioneered "the patents have expired -- let's make a similar movement!"... They have been doing it since the 1930s at least. The most vivid recent example I know of is the Seiko Spring Drive -- not introduced until the Swiss HPM patents expired.

The history of movements is mostly a history of evolution from previous designs...

Reactions: WmGardner

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Wait, so you are now changing your original claim that Sellita was Chinese to it simply being that Sellita copy like the Chinese.

Right, so what about that Steinhart Ocean 1 in your signature then?
Because that is in no way a copy of a Submariner, is it?

If I used smilies, here's where I'd roll my eyes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My invicta 9937 has a sellita sw200, its running -3sec/day so far for 1 month now,,awesome watch for just $220 you cant beat that...

For me, the fact that this movement is used by Invicta is a detriment and not a selling point. Invicta is the, well, Invicta of watches... in the same way that Walmart is the Invicta of retailers... or Yugo is the Invicta of cars... or Coby is the Invicta of electronics.:-d

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
Invicta bashing should be beneath the TAGHeuer Crew! It is not nice to pick on the lame and crippled...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I been wearing an SW 200 on my wrist 6 weeks removing it only to shower or to clean the watch with dish soap and an old tooth brush. I just looked when I sync'd (37 days ago) I'm -5 seconds since then. I have a good size pocket watch collection and always kept logs on their performance. My curiosity was killing me. I try to steer clear of Chinese junk myself. I am very hapy with my SW200. I'm wearing an Invicta Grand Diver 6619 Tritium, #319, Sellita SW200, with a Wachadoo Bracelet. I highly doubt its adjusted to temperature and 6 positions like a high quality pocket but it sure keeps time. I have not worn any of my Seiko Mechanicals and sold all of my Deep Blues with Miyota 8215s. Call me a cheep sob but I dont believe in spending thousands on a watch. My ETA 2824-2 in my Laco don't run that tight. So I'm curious. What's the final answer on Sellita and being Chinese?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with the Invicta remark and this is the only Invicta I have however......I must pick back on the big money....Does seem mine works as good as yours do and my wallet remains thick! You TAG SNOBS can send me one of yours with the SAME MOVEMENT any time LOL! I paid a minuscule $175 for mine its got REAL read me in the dark ability with tritium and its accurate. IT IS OF COURSE my beater or daily wear. Change oil, chop wood any and all activities where the high dollar watch would cringe......Pickin' on the Invicta "UNDERDOG" :)

Sellita SW 200 gets A+ in my book!

I can't speak for anyone else but this has me disturbed. I simply don't do Chinese knowingly. If the SW 200 is "MIC" it is getting sold.

·
Registered
18,180 Posts
Parts of the world that are accumulating surplus money and have an active industry in some sector commonly buy suppliers in other parts of the world. India bought Jaguar from the Americans, for example. It is the way of capitalism. (Zenith Radio in Chicago once bought the Swiss watch maker Zenith just because of the name... strange.)

I have no knowledge of Stella's current ownership. I could delve into search engines and see what I could find. But I am fairly sure it will have no effect on their products. So I personally am not that interested. The Swatch Group has assured Stella's survival no matter what their ownership.

21 - 40 of 174 Posts