WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have had watches with both movements now for several years. Both have been with me in the ocean, mountain biking, and even to the pistol range a time or two. Both still keep on going, both keep great time, both seem to be able to handle shock well, and both haven't caused me any issues. The only difference I notice between the two is that when I wind them after not having worn them in a while - the Sellita SW200's second hand starts ticking before the ETA2824 does. Not that that means anything at all, it's just an observation. The Sellita will start ticking away after about 5-8 winds when the ETA starts after about 15-25. Overall, I have no issues between either of the movements and would welcome either movement again into my home without worries.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wow didn't notice that this topic was originally from 2010, but I guess after 6 years we could hear accounts of how the Sellita movements have compared to the ETA's.

Reactions: dZeak and notional

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Apparently you have bought a watch with one of these Selitta movements since yoo seem to want to defend their quality. The fact is, Selitta is not a high quality watch movement maker, but rather a knock off maker. If anyone had a choice of movements, they should choose Selitta LAST. Believe what you like.
That is your opinion, but you happen, on this occasion, to be wrong.

Sellita actually used to (may still??) make movements for ETA because ETA could not keep production up with the demand.

If you are going to slam Sellita, you are also slamming ETA.

·
Registered
41,771 Posts
Yep, bashing ETA is a favorite sport around here for 'snob-wannabes'.
That is your opinion, but you happen, on this occasion, to be wrong.

Sellita actually used to (may still??) make movements for ETA because ETA could not keep production with the demand.

If you are going to slam Sellita, you are also slamming ETA.

·
Registered
386 Posts
In a way I feel that the ETA decision was a bit of a “dick move” (sorry for that). But for years some of these large companies depended on these products.

I understand, but also ETA was sitting as a supplier of movements, and with the Swiss watch movement companies over the years being bought out and pulled into the swatch group. That was like buying up all the competition. Then deciding that nope we are now only going to supply to our self. With the argument that they were trying to make the Swiss watch industry “better” or “Stronger”. Although, it felt more like a monopolizing move. I feel hopeful that Sellita, now with the support of those LARGE company’s now in need of fine movements, can take Sellita, from a “copycat” company and help them improve their products.

The 2824-2 has been a fine movement for so many years, but other than just adding that one extra jewel there is more room for improvements. As it was ETA would work to improve the movement for some of their own company brands, but even though IWC, Brietling or others would work with them to get “better” quality, it was still just “basic” ETA movements they received. So yea maybe this could help to make the Swiss watch industry better. But also could help Sellita to move past their stereotype of just a copycat, with the statements of “Oh its exactly like the bla, bla bla...”, maybe in a few years we can her that Sellita movements are better instead of exactly the same.

Please forgive my rambling, my brain is still mushy, I haven't had time to decompress from working with images all day...

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
As an owner of a bunch of each movement, (as well as 9015 and an A-10) I appreciate them for what they are, without getting too carried away:

Hand winding a 2824 movement has definitely caught the attention of many owners.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-winding-issue-2322506.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f6/f6-2824-handwinding-thread-866942.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/eta-2824-2-winding-question-847082.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/why-soprod-a10-considered-better-movement-2679010.html

BTW, ETA is restricting the parts to repair 2824 to outside watchmakers. Watches sent to Swatch (ETAs owner) for repair or service just get a different, renovated 2824 swapped in. Your old movement goes in to be renovated by semi-skilled labor, assembly line style and is eventually put in some other guys watch later on.

None of this has stopped me from buying 2824 or SW200 watches as I personally have not yet had any issue with my several dozen of them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Watches sent to Swatch (ETAs owner) for repair or service just get a different, renovated 2824 swapped in. Your old movement goes in to be renovated by semi-skilled labor, assembly line style and is eventually put in some other guys watch later on.
Apart from the COSC, EP etc. , Tag does exactly the same ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't have any ETA movement watches, but I've been very pleased with my watches running 4r36 and 6r15 seiko movements as well as my oris with the soprod a10 movement and even my miyota 9015 watches.
I dont know much about precise movement manufacturing locations, but I haven't heard anything bad about the sellita movement yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a WAN2111 Aquaracer that has always run within COSC standards and after a recent overhaul by TAG it now runs +2 seconds per day. It has a SW200 movement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a fairly new Bulova Calibrator with the SW200-2 and the rotor bearing has quite a bit of play since day 1. If you gently tap the watch, the rattle sound is quite bad, to the point I don't wear the watch much (maybe 6 times in the last year). I checked the rotor for play and it's the bearing as the rotor can be moved 1mm+ on the horizontal plane. The screw holding the bearing is tight. Needless to say I am disappointed in the QC. I've had 50+ mechanical watches over the years and had high hopes for the SW200, but not exactly impressed, I even passed on buying several new watches that had the SW200 because of this. From what I researched, the SW200 has had reports of noisy bearings.

I will agree with other posts that the movement is quite accurate and it starts working as soon as you pick it up and has good power reserve. I'm hoping I had a bad example, but for the price of the watch I expected better.

I have various ETA 2824-2 (and ETA 2836) movements in my other watches and I prefer the ETA as I have not had any problems with them other than occasionally regulating them.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
4,302 Posts
All mechanical movements are superior to Quartz.
All Asian movements are inferior to Swiss.
Selita are inferior to ETA
ETA are inferior to in-house
TAG Heuer are inferior to Heuer
TAG Heuer & Heuer are inferior to Tudor.
Tudor are inferior to Rolex.
Rolex are inferior to Patek Philippe.

I know I am right because marketing and forum snobs tell me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
954 Posts
@Michael Day - you had me going there for a bit, until I read you last sentence. :)

Reactions: Michael Day

·
Registered
41,771 Posts
No, 'snob-wannabes' tell you.

·
Registered
386 Posts
@Michael Day - you had me going there for a bit, until I read you last sentence. :)
I know right because who really Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, makes them all sound odd, an iPhone really? I would have believed every one but who uses an iPhone???

Sent from my non iPhone using some app other than Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael Day

·
Registered
386 Posts

Is this still true for brands like Tissot or Hamilton or even Swatch where ETA are essentially in-house movements?

81 - 100 of 174 Posts